Stitches out this afternoon...I hope

Spiky Bugger

Surgery on my lipoma, near my knee, was 8/29. I went for follow-up eight days later. Not quite healed enough. So now, another week later, we try again. Fifteen days of wrapping padding and giant plastic wrap like movers use around my leg and posing like a flamingo and showering on one leg, with the other stuck on a step stool outside the shower. Luckily, positioning is right in that when facing the shower, the left leg is closest the entry.

The damned thing really itches, too.

Last edited:
@Sandy @hilary1617

Well, not great progress. Stitches came out. Steristrips went on. In 24 hours, itching, inflammation, swelling due to adhesive allergies.

So...off came the strips. A little antibiotic. Fresh air. But I kept hitting it with the right leg. And serous fluid leaking increased. And it bled a little. And the skin is INCREDIBLY thin. Like wet tissue paper.

So...cleaned the area again. Topical antibiotics AND oral antihistamine and my Rx topical corticosteroid (nearby), for my hypersensitive skin. Put steristrips at the two biggest open areas. Then a surgical pad and then that stretchy white tubular stuff they use to keep IVs from getting hit and for awkward areas wound dressing. This stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/MediChoice-Tubular-Bandage-Polyester-1314NB5504/dp/B01JZYNJ22

So far, so good, but...now it's time for a shower. AARGH.

Meanwhile, MiniSue suggest that I might benefit from this stuff, as she once had really good results with surgical wound protection/healing by using it:

https://www.shopwoundcare.com/p-med...MIgaDM2ICq1gIVk4JpCh1YOg5VEAQYASABEgLI2fD_BwE

I think I'll just stay loaded.

And meanwhile...my guilt. My sister could use some support and I'm not available. My BIL stayed UNhospitalized for ALMOST four weeks. Back in...bowel obstruction this time. He's upset that he's (finally) been compliant, for ALMOST four weeks and is out of touch with the fact tbat had he subjected himself to medical care when serious symptoms started showing up 18 years ago--instead of waiting 13-14 years until he could no longer walk enough to golf and he was thrown off a Mediterranean cruise because the ship's doctor declared him no longer "seaworthy"--he might be in a little better shape right now. (And even after SEVERAL vascular surgeries he kept sneaking out for a smoke...until this year.) And NOW he wants to be all better after ALMOST four weeks of compliance. Duh.)

[Another long Sue parable...] Background...my smart-assness is genetic, both sides of the family. This is from my father's side. Large Italian immigrant family, four girls, four surviving boys. Uncle Joe, the oldest boy, by the time of this incident, a widower, and a retired Fire Captain. He became more frail, he'd fall, crawl to a phone and dial 911. Paramedics knew him and took him to the hospital and called the NEXT oldest brother. Joe would get treated and released to a Skilled Nursing Facility, which he hated, and the three other brothers would show up and Joe would scream at them that he just wanted to go home,and they'd check him out.

This went on for a couple of years. He kept falling, paramedics took him to the hospital, hospital sent him to a SNF, he yelled at brothers (big bro is king...think The Godfather) and they'd take him home. Until second brother got sick and my father was next in line for the calls and yelling.

Same routine, Joe insisting that he wanted to die at home. My father asked, "So why do you keep dialing 911? If you want to die at home, put the damned phone where you can't reach it from the floor. I guarantee you'll die at home."

Joe died shortly thereafter...I don't know if it was at home, in a SNF or a hospital.

All of this in order to say, figure out how the hell you want to live and HOW you want to die...there are good books and TED talks on the topic. Getting old and dying is CONFUSING. Do you want to go in and out of hospitals as various strangers fix each broken part of you? Or do you want a familiar bed and good drugs? Important things. Even my BIL has tbe right to say, "Screw this...give me my golf clubs and a cigarette and let me die where I'm happiest."

The end...go in peace.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, some progress and some, well.... I'm so sorry. Staying loaded piece sounds like sage advice and the fresh air is a plus. I have adhesive allergies (tape, strips, bandaids, dermabond, etc.) so can truly sympathize on that front. Smart thinking with the tubular bandage home use.

Anything you do with the right leg so that it quits aggravating your wound? Not sure of the configuration, but is there some leg equivalent of the tennis-ball-on-the-back-of-the-nightshirt-to-prevent-rolling- over-on-ones-back-and-snoring technique?

You are younger than this is making you feel and your humor is needed here! So no more, no old and dying talk, amusing anecdote aside. That said, the whole home thing sounds nice for the dying person but terrible for the loved ones. I plan to die in a place where people who are accustomed with and well-compensated for dealing with corpses will take care of my dead body so my kids don't have to see it...

Well, some progress and some, well.... I'm so sorry. Staying loaded piece sounds like sage advice and the fresh air is a plus. I have adhesive allergies (tape, strips, bandaids, dermabond, etc.) so can truly sympathize on that front. Smart thinking with the tubular bandage home use.

Anything you do with the right leg so that it quits aggravating your wound? Not sure of the configuration, but is there some leg equivalent of the tennis-ball-on-the-back-of-the-nightshirt-to-prevent-rolling- over-on-ones-back-and-snoring technique?

You are younger than this is making you feel and your humor is needed here! So no more, no old and dying talk, amusing anecdote aside. That said, the whole home thing sounds nice for the dying person but terrible for the loved ones. I plan to die in a place where people who are accustomed with and well-compensated for dealing with corpses will take care of my dead body so my kids don't have to see it...

I'd want to stay home until hospice becomes the most reasonable place. Not soon, please...lol

And now!?!?

Because I cannot bend that knee very well, I cannot reach my toes. So...when I decided to put some foot cream on, followed by socks...I guess I overdid it...and moved wrong and ended up screaming in REAL pain to the point that dilaudid was pressed into service. It was horrible pain. SI joint again. I could not stand up. I could only get out of a chair by leaning forward and kind of "rolling" forward. Could not stand up on either foot. Damn.

I sent Mr Sue out to buy another tri-tip, which just might be my entire diet for the next few days. I talked to an RN friend. He will make a house call Wednesday morning to check out the healing knee and dress it again if needed. (He owes me because one summer when he was in college he moved into my house without mentioning to me that he lived with us.) Having to "work around" the damned slow-healing incision is how I reinjured my SI joint...oy!

I haven't yet mastered sitting absolutely still for extended periods. I am SO BORED!!!!

And thanks for the good words.

Also, I've had "visitors." Fence contractor would like $17k and pool contractor would like $19k. Not convinced THIS is helping. And, oh yes, architect will be here Wednesday and she just wants $200...to come visit.

Latest posts

Back