Starting to hedge on revision to DS

LindaDarnell

Hi all! So, as I've posted, my husband just went through a full DS, mainly for his diabetes. His Dr and the care team at MUSC are super awesome!! I'm scheduled to have my VSG revised to a DS by the same DR in a few weeks. I'll only have the switch added because he feels my sleeve is in good condition (my words, not Dr's).

My husband's recovery so far has been pretty good overall, but he did deal with a bout of dehydration which resulted in a trip to the ER for an IV drip (hard-headed not drinking enough). Even though he's had no significant complications and his medical team is top-notch, I am starting to hedge on having my revision. Just watching him reminds me of the recovery I went through with my VSG, and I'm not sure I want to go through it again for the outcome. Again, I had no major problems with my VSG...though it was another group, the medical team was great. Care was awesome. But all of the needles, and poking and prodding. I'm not sure I want to deal with it for the lower results. Plus, unlike with my VSG, I'll have to get a JP Drain...something I do not look forward to.

For those who've revised to a DS with only the "switch", without a revision to your sleeve, what have your been weight loss results? How do you get additional results without restriction? What was your recovery process?

You don't have enough small bowel left to absorb all of what you eat. It's the only weight loss you will ever have that's not miserable.

The switch only is not nearly as bad as the whole DS or the sleeve.

The hard part of my virgin DS was the VSG -- puked for the better part of a year. Immediately post op, only the area where my full stomach once was had (minor) pain; never pain in my switch area. I have had zero bowel issues. I really believe you'll have a very easy time of it.

The hard part of my virgin DS was the VSG -- puked for the better part of a year.

I was very, very relieved to read this and to know I'm not the only one. I'm sorry you went through this. I do love I'm down 92 pounds and over 70% to goal.

For those that have had the switch only, what were ur results? I understand that the weightlossd is slower than a virgin ds...what did u all experience?

Latest posts

Back