So I created a Youtube Video 2 Years ago and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denis Korb

I have been randomly contacted by 2 different production studios, 1 that did some Skype interviews with my wife and I as a precursor to a new show coming out probably on ABC where I may or may not be part of the premier. We haven't been contacted by the production team yet. The recent one is from the UK who just contacted me today. They apparently want to do a documentary on SSMO who are proud of their weight, with me being one of the opposite argument on the subject, and they are going to be in America next week and want to come to my house. As with the first random contact I was suspicious until I did a search for the production company and contacted the main producer who informed me that the contact was real.

This being said I'm wondering if Bariatric Facts would want me to mention the forum in the interview?
Do you want that kind of exposure even if its in the UK, or starts out in the UK?

I think it would be a great boost to or site.
Oh, and it doesn't have to be the .org cause we also own the .com and have it rerouted from there to the .org.

sure, why not?

do they want to interview you because you are having weight loss surgery rather than accepting your weight as it is?

Its less an interview and more a documentary...So I'm not completely sure, they are talking about 5 days of filming over several visits. What I know is that it will air on channel 5 in the UK, which is one of their major Network channels.

I'm getting a hinky vibe from this. Why are they coming to the US to talk to someone who is SSMO and wants bariatric surgery? Don't they have people in their own backyard who would fill the bill? And why are they talking to a pre-op? There are PLENTY of post-ops there AND here with before and after pix and videos. If they were interested in the outcome, why not find a post-op? I hope they aren't using you for something you don't expect.

I got the hinky vibe as well, especially because his name was Pandibar Sandhu, it made me quiet suspicious, but I did the research and called the production company, and they got back to me confirming he is who he says he is. Its from the same Production company that produces Benefits Britain, which after watching a few episodes, I can see how someone can be painted in a negative light for growing up and choosing to live where others pay for your life...but my life has been nothing like that...I could tell that they were looking for people who were proud of being 500+ pounds, which I pointed out to them that I am obviously not, to which their response was that I would be the counter argument.

hmm - Denis, if you get a hinky vibe you should listen to it: I learned that reading a book called The Gift of Fear (a very good book)
anyway, I would hate for you (or anybody!) to be used in a way they don't like...so be careful.

meanwhile I love the name Pandibar Sandhu, it's wonderful!

I urge caution because I've never seen a show on obesity that benefits obese people. I hope this isn't an exploitative program like "My 600 Pound Life" or "The Biggest Loser". I also hope this program isn't feeding the "lazy, fat, brash American" stereotype that I have seen exhibited in other British shows like "Fat and Back", where the host travels to the U.S. because it will be easy to gain weight here...

I doubt that it will be flattering at all, I'm Fat I get that, but if its an opportunity to encourage others to get off their butts and start changing their habits like me, and show that I am actually trying to get back to some semblance of a "normal" life, to show that not all SSMO people are to lazy to do something about their situations, and give some pointed advertising for causes that I feel are beneficial like bariatric facts, then why not do so? Small steps for the greater good right?

My point is I've never seen a show on the obese that "serves the greater good", though I suspect the participants in the shows I've seen thought it would do so when they agreed to be filmed. Things get taken out of context, false stereotypes are confirmed, and the participants, who have no control over context or editing, are really just being exploited. I hope this proves not to be the case.

I also don't think it is helpful to try to encourage "others to get off their butts and start changing their habits". This demonstrates to me that you still blame yourself and other obese individuals for causing their own obesity and think that "changing habits" will reverse obesity. Neither blaming nor changing habits have proven to be helpful in combatting obesity (remember that 95% failure rate for diets & exercise!).

I do hope you reconsider.

Last edited:
My point is I've never seen a show on the obese that "serves the greater good", though I suspect the participants in the shows I've seen thought it would do so when they agreed to be filmed. Things get taken out of context, false stereotypes are confirmed, and the participants, who have no control over context or editing, are really just being exploited. I hope this proves not to be the case.

I also don't think it is helpful to try to encourage "others to get off their butts and start changing their habits". This demonstrates to me that you still blame yourself and other obese individuals for causing their own obesity and think that "changing habits" will reverse obesity. Neither blaming nor changing habits have proven to be helpful in combatting obesity (remember that 95% failure rate for diets & exercise!).

I do hope you reconsider.

No Hilary, I'm not blaming them for gaining the weight, not trying to do something about it on the other hand is a different subject. I do not remove myself from that equation, I spent many years floundering before I made the decision to do something to fix the problem.

I think many, perhaps even the majority, of obese, MO, SMO, and SSMO *are* trying to do something about it. Or have tried and failed. Or have tried many, many times and have decided that they will accept themselves as is. I don't blame anyone for giving up, especially when non-surgical approaches have a 95% failure rate and many people do not qualify for surgery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back