Smart people, foolish choices

DianaCox

Bad Cop
What foods will you eat, even though you KNOW they will tear you up, because you can't resist them?

For me, it's creamed spinach. Especially the kind from the steakhouse where we ate dinner last night - thick, rich and creamy. It's not the fat in it, of course - it's that supposedly good-for-you spinach. It kills me every time, but I can't resist it. You could put all kinds of sweets in front of me, and I'd take the creamed spinach every time. (Or a spinach, mushroom, bacon and hard-boiled egg salad - healthy food that KILLS me, but I can't not eat it.)

On the positive side, I'm feeling quite cleaned out this morning. Finally.

On the negative side, I have the rest of my steak, and my husband's portion of the spinach, in a to-go box in the fridge, waiting to be taken to the office for my lunch today ... and I'm pretty sure I'm going to eat it anyway, because it's there.

Oh, we all make foolish choices...and pay for them. The key is not making them too often. Just make sure you don't eat the rest of the creamed spinach TOO early or your co-workers may hate you.

Timing is everything! Yesterday I got a craving for German style rice pudding aka Milchreis. Comfort food for German children in cold weather. Lots of half and half, rice, a little sugar, cook slowly to a lovely goo. Nom topped with melted butter and brown sugar.

BLOAT CITY. Yup, smart person, stupid choice. Good thing we were snowed in and I didn't have to go anywhere.

Haagen daz in the evening - 3am wake-up call to visit the porcelain goddess! Not really worth the sleep deficit but cannot put the spoon down once I open that little container.

Pasta with a little salt, pepper, cheese and sauce with sausage. I know I can't eat pasta since my surgery--not because of the carbs, but because it literally sits in my stomach and expands and then I feel like crap--but sometimes I crave nothing but!

Fruit- I know I can't eat it but it's so yummy (and healthy.....)
Sugar cereal - Sometimes nothing but Frosted Flakes will do!

And then I sit here with a huge headache feeling ill and full of regrets.

I am proud of myself - I ate the rest of my steak, the small portion of creamy mashed potatoes that were left, and about 2 forkfuls spread over little bites of the creamed spinach, and tossed the rest away.

We went out to a Lebanese restaurant for dinner tonight - I have two boxes full of lamb sausage, grilled chicken, pita bread, marinated salads, various appetizer things - hummus, a small slice of a lamb pizza with pomegranate glaze, and a few other things I can't remember (we tend to over-order when we eat out so I can eat leftovers). The grilled lamb chop jumped directly into my mouth, as did a few other delectable bites. No spinach, however.

^^Lebanese Taverna?!?!? Love that place so gotta ask if by any chance that was your Lebanese?? Nom nom nom nom nom.

Mouth watering....

I am proud of myself - I ate the rest of my steak, the small portion of creamy mashed potatoes that were left, and about 2 forkfuls spread over little bites of the creamed spinach, and tossed the rest away.

We went out to a Lebanese restaurant for dinner tonight - I have two boxes full of lamb sausage, grilled chicken, pita bread, marinated salads, various appetizer things - hummus, a small slice of a lamb pizza with pomegranate glaze, and a few other things I can't remember (we tend to over-order when we eat out so I can eat leftovers). The grilled lamb chop jumped directly into my mouth, as did a few other delectable bites. No spinach, however.
Now THAT wasn't a foolish choice.

Latest posts

Back