Should I buy Tourism Medical Insurance?

First, excellent choice of surgeon! They are wonderful there. The 4 night stay really makes a difference vs the drive-by DS in the USA. Congratulations!

Second, I never found a complications insurance plan that covered MBC. They're so good, I doubt you'd need it.

Finally, if you find one and feel it's necessary, read the fine print. The ones I did see that screamed "up to $100,000 in Coverage!" really meant $2500 in medical charges and "up to" $97,500 for something pretty useless like transportation costs. So only a paltry amount in the area you need and the insurance premium is almost the cost of that coverage.

Oh and I was told by MBC that the doctors will attend to any complications you may have... but you gotta get on a plane back to them.
Yes, told me the same thing! I have a Southwest Visa card from Chase that I use to pay all my bills,then pay it off each month so I can earn points for air travel on Southwest which is usually what we fly. It was comforting to me knowing IF something developed I could go back. I have also considered going back for labs sometime and to turn it into a mini vacation at San Diego, etc. Maybe some day.

I went with my sister and H to Spain when they had surgery. I think the smartest thing we did was to spend a some extra time in Spain. And we didn't buy the insurance. We were pretty sure by the time we left that we were good to go.

I've had multiple surgeries outside the US. I would NOT get airfare that cannot be changed easily, but I didn't get the travel insurance, and I even had one emergency surgery for blockage days after my DS, but it was not billed as extra because I was still there. Not getting the extra insurance was a chance I was willing to take, but for some it may be worth piece of mind, if you actually see coverage in it that would pay off if needed.

I also scheduled extra days to recuperate, so I wasn't schlepping through the airport too freshly post-op. I've enjoyed recuperating in the rain forest, and by a world class beach. Another great thing about going to other countries, is that you can more easily afford to hire someone with nursing experience if you want more help.

OH....1 more tip I found to be great! Take old ratty clothes and throw them away after you wear them. Then you have less to carry on the way home!!! And you don't have to worry about them getting stained/etc.

I wore one outfit on the plane and the same outfit to return. In the hospital I just wore the hospital gowns (one in hospital fashion, one as a robe). That blue methylene dye for the leak test, Perry, will permanently dye any fabric it comes in contact with, and it comes out in your pee, too. (Careful with that white beard of yours.)

I wore one outfit on the plane and the same outfit to return. In the hospital I just wore the hospital gowns (one in hospital fashion, one as a robe). That blue methylene dye for the leak test, Perry, will permanently dye any fabric it comes in contact with, and it comes out in your pee, too. (Careful with that white beard of yours.)
Thanks LOL

Latest posts

Back