Science of the Week - Unbelievable, and DUH!!

DianaCox

Bad Cop
http://www.sciencealert.com/scienti...es-like-bacon-but-is-better-for-you-than-kale

Yeah, I do NOT believe that.

http://www.sciencealert.com/odds-of...y-slim-study-finds?perpetual=yes&limitstart=1

"Obese men have got a 1 in 210 chance, and women a 1 in 124 chance."

"A team of researchers at King's College London, found that an obese man has a 1 in 210 chance to get himself to a healthy body weight, which becomes a 1 in 1,290 chance if he’s severely obese. For women, being obese means they have a 1 in 124 chance of attaining a healthy body weight, or a 1 in 677 chance if they have severe obesity."

And if they are morbidly obese??

DUH!!

I told a friend (also MO) about my plans for the DS. She, coincidentally, had been considering the sleeve. I explained the DS and sent her to a few web resources to learn more. A few days later, she told me she had decided to try Trim Healthy Mama.

And so there went my brain around the dang mulberry bush again. Of course I would rather be able to do this on my own. I have had two c-sections and a variety of unpleasant experiences with scar tissue and adhesions; I dread being opened up again.

But I am 49 years old. The odds against me being able to do this on my own are astronomical. I had heard less than 5%, but thought that number seemed too generous; the numbers Diana gives in this post seem more accurate to me.

And so it comes back to this: I need help. I have to take this chance, no matter how frightening it may be. That's all there is to it.

@unavidanueva I would bet anything that a year or 2 from now, maybe even less, your friend will be reconsidering bariatric surgery and maybe even wishing she had not wasted her money and more of her life by putting it off. But this is one of those things where each person reaches the point of being ready to face surgery in her own time and her own way. If she feels she just has to try one more diet one more time, then that's what she has to do. It's a very hard decision and she has to feel certain that she has no other alternative other than to stay MO for the rest of her life.

Sadly, the overwhelming majority of MO people never have bariatric surgery. They just stay MO until they die, or until some awful illness causes them to lose weight. You and I and everyone else here knows what being MO does to your quality of life, never mind all the health issues. And we know how very hard we have tried to conquer this by ourselves, and how many times we've tried. There is no reason for you to second guess your decision. I predict you will walk into the OR nervous, but confident that you are where you should be.

In order to have the fewest regrets, everyone who contemplates bariatric surgery needs to be certain that they cannot manage their morbid obesity with non-surgical means. Your friend isn't ready yet - and she shouldn't have surgery until she is. It is unfortunate that in the meantime, irreversible damage will continue to accrue to her joints, her circulatory system, her cancer risk, etc., but you need to be ready to fully commit before you take this step.

Latest posts

Back