revision surgery

sue222

hi, sue from england here has anyone had rny revision to a ds?? this is what i am now considering - if I had known about DS initially it would have been my first choice - ho hum

Hello Sue! Welcome! There are many here who have had RNY to DS and they will chime in soon.

Who is your proposed surgeon? There are very few surgeons in the world who are competent/experienced at RNY to DS revisions.

shaw sommers is the one i will see on 22nd feb - not my original surgeon

Welcome Sue!

Have you actually been told this surgeon can do that particular revision? Like Diana mentioned above, there are so few surgeons that can actually do that revision. Many of us have been to surgeons that said they do a certain surgery (for me it was just a virgin DS) and then when we get there are given some bogus reason it's not possible, but they will in fact do some sort of RNY. I hope this doesn't turn out to be the case.

Let us know how it goes, as our community needs some good surgeons that can revise RNYs to DS. Good luck!

Never heard of him as even a virgin DS surgeon. Warning Will Robinson - you may be about to be sold a bait and don't switch song and dance.

Hello.

I've heard of him doing the DS. I believe he's in Chichester.
hello again
thank you all for your thoughts - I am in the UK and he is one of the top UK bariatric surgeons - he does work out of Chichester / Portsmouth and London - I haven't asked yet whether he can do this revision (RNY_DS) but see him on 22 feb - will keep you posted
Ps I really like this group - thankyou

As far as I am aware there are no options for RNY to DS revision in the UK, even for private paying patients. Shaw Sommers does not even do the DS...thats the reason I switched surgeons as I was going to see him before I learned about the DS. The only options I have heard of for RNY peeps is a band over bypass or a fobi ring, which is similar to a band.

I wish you luck!

As far as I am aware there are no options for RNY to DS revision in the UK, even for private paying patients. Shaw Sommers does not even do the DS...thats the reason I switched surgeons as I was going to see him before I learned about the DS. The only options I have heard of for RNY peeps is a band over bypass or a fobi ring, which is similar to a band.

I wish you luck!
Hi
Thanku for the info I have email shaw somers and he says he does to rny to ds and there is another private clinic thst another member put me in touch with so I will keep you posted.

Just make sure he is doing a duodenal switch and not an ERNY. ENRY is bad bad news.

Im very interested if what he is telling you is true. He hasn't done a virgin DS on a single person I know of, and we UK DSers stick together, much less a complicated revision that would mean recreating a stomach. I would almost bet he is going to give you ENRY or distal bypass :(

Latest posts

Back