Revision from RNY to DS

Daydream Believer

Hello All,
Had RNY in 2009, and began gaining weight the last 2 years. I've modified my diet and added more exercising to my regimen. Lose 2lbs, gain 3 and back and forth....

I've completed all post op requirements and currently waiting for the doctor to submit his report for approval to BCBS. I'm very nervous, actually beyond nervous because the doctor stated BCBS views revisions as patient failure not surgery failure. Then began listing what would have to be done if denied.
The next couple of weeks or so, Ill be on pins and needles.

In the meantime, would love to know what to expect from those who have had the DS...how you feel, anything you'd do differently and words of advice.

Thanks

Attachments

• Beautiful Dahlia.jpg
    Beautiful Dahlia.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 2
Welcome.

Insurance companies can be so slow and frustrating. Hope they decide in your favor.

Head over to Duodenal Switch section here and you'll find out everything you ever wanted to know on DS -- virgin and revision.

Welcome, @Daydream Believer

BTW, the surgeon you have listed is NOT a known RNY to DS revision. There is not one at all in NC. Here is the list of known RNY to DS revisions which is a special skill that most surgeons don't bother with learning: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/current-list-of-known-rny-or-lapband-to-ds-surgeons.1403/

I've completed all post op requirements and currently waiting for the doctor to submit his report for approval to BCBS. I'm very nervous, actually beyond nervous because the doctor stated BCBS views revisions as patient failure not surgery failure. Then began listing what would have to be done if denied.
The next couple of weeks or so, Ill be on pins and needles.
One, it depends on YOUR Evidence of Coverage with YOUR BCBS policy. A blanket statement by the doctor is not what you need. In the meantime, gather everything you need in case it's denied. And if it is, post in this forum: http://bariatricfacts.org/forums/insurance.28/

Hi and Welcome!

I've never heard of your surgeon as a DS surgeon, let alone someone who is experienced and capable of doing a RNY to DS revision. This is a very complex, challenging and risky operation, and I'm saying that not to discourage you but to emphasize how important it is to have the right surgeon for this specific operation. It involves taking apart your old RNY, completely restoring the original anatomy, and THEN doing the full DS on structures that have already been operated on (the stomach in particular). There are very few surgeons who do this operation, and @southernlady has already provided you with the list. Even if your surgeon has begun doing the DS - which we would love to know - this is not something someone without a lot of DS experience should take on.

Latest posts

Back