Reving for the third time possible RNY to DS???

For me,...grazing is about boredom and fidgetyness. (I don't think that's a real word lol) It's the worst when I'm at work in my office sitting at my computer all day. That's when I find it hardest to resist snacking or picking on things I have no business eating.

If you have a very low tolerance for boredom and get fidgety/lose focus, it might be worthwhile for you to investigate the possibility of Attention Deficit "Disorder." (I hate the way any non-standard way of being gets called a "disorder.")

I agree...BTW, @buffalobillsfan, in your post, you said you lost 100% of your excess weight and have kept it of. If you don't mind me asking, how much and for how long, because you could never tell you was ever overweight in your picture, you look great!

My starting weight was 294 lbs (I'm 5'2") and my current weight is about 136 lbs . My normal is around 143 lbs though but I lost some weight after a recent unexpected abdominal surgery. I'm 5 years out from my DS. My surgeon's goal was set at 150 lbs which I never thought I would even come close to. Thank you for the compliment!!!

Your numbers are very similar to mine. I'm also 5'2". My starting weight was 292...my VSG surgery weight was 273. I got down to about 155-160 and now 4.5 yrs later I'm at 200.
135 is my happy number...in theory (after my revision to DS) I'd like to lose to a little less than that to allow for some bounceback. We shall see! I'm gonna think positive! lol

Hello Everyone,

This website can be addictive. I want to read and follow every story. But I am giving a quick update on my third revision consultations. I have had a consultation with Dr. K in California and still working on Dr. R also in California. Dr. K was extremely thorough. I sent him my surgery notes, all endoscopies, most recent upper GI and lab history. He went through what was provided with a fine tooth comb before and during the consultation. So his response was the DS is most optimum. He stated with distal RNY (which no longer under consideration for me) should not be considered because you get the worst side effects of the RNY and the worst side effects of the DS with no assurance of reaching your ideal body weight and sustaining it. For the BPD he does not think that it is a good idea because it does not have the advantage of the pyloric valve and he insists that it is really a different surgery than the DS and there are some doctors who are telling patients its really very similar to the DS and disagrees with that strategy. With that being said he is a high fan of the DS for several reasons he thinks it is the most optimum WLS procedure out there today. He does not emphasize the risk factor as Dr. M in Brazil was concerned about. Yes there are risk such as low bold supply to the upper area and leaks etc. But he thinks those risks is a third procedure in my case is done is the best for weight loss results and for sustaining that weight loss which will increase your overall health and keep those comorbidities low/away. He is skilled at performing the DS and feels confident that he will do a great job to avoid those risk but of course the risks does exist. He would not want me doing say a BPD or ERNY and in a year or two back again with the same issues and saying I want another revision to a DS.

He also started the discussion by telling me that neither I nor the first two RNY's failed. He stated that he was not at all surprised that I got to 220lbs after both procedures. He said that at my height 5'4 and a half. I should be about 150lbs give or take. The RNY will get you to on average 50% excess body weight. My starting weigh of 303lbs leaves me at an excess of 150lbs and 50% of that is 75lbs expected weight loss which is final weight of about 225lbs. This is all a little rough justice but I am trying to summarize but explain well enough what he said. Si he said since I got to 220lbs both times so neither I or the RNY procedures failed. I just was not the most optimal for me but he would not want me to consider anything other than the DS. I thinks I can actually get to the 150lbs ideal body weight and sustain it with the DS. There was more discussed but this is the story in perhaps a nutshell.

Sounds like a very good consultation. Now the decision is in your hands.

If anyone has the experience and insight to know what works and what doesn't, he's the guy.

Now it's time to go back to the various issues that show up in your posting history on the other site and consider very, VERY carefully how to improve those issues so as to optimize your chances not of "optimal weight loss," but of stable good health.

I agree.... I have gotten a lot of good information and advice. I was thinking back to when I was 303lbs and blindly trusting I thought that the Gastric Bypass would resolve all my issues with eating and weight. I expected the RNY to force me to learn to eat right. I thought I would never be able to eat certain foods again and if I tried I would get so sick that I would not eat it again. I also thought I would never be able to overeat again with the small stomach without throwing up. I never really got either of those except some restriction that did not last long. I am so afraid to just rely on me doing the right thing with no surgical help. Dr. K says he does not believe I failed because of poor eating or overeating and or lack of exercise. He thinks its genetics and the need for more mal-absorption that comes from a true DS. He thinks I am a victim of the wrong procedure not a failed one just not the right or best tool for me. I also worry about continuing to regain weight and returning of some of the original co-morbidities such as diabetes and HTN. I also do not know if Dr. K will get pass the insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield) firewall for an RNY to DS procedure. I am going to go to Dr. K in the next few weeks he wants to do an endoscopy himself and tell me what he will be dealing with if he does the surgery. If I get the DS then I may have to go to Dr. M in Brazil and plan to stay longer and take the risks....I am unsure still and I know I have diet compliance issues to consider....

I agree.... I have gotten a lot of good information and advice. I was thinking back to when I was 303lbs and blindly trusting I thought that the Gastric Bypass would resolve all my issues with eating and weight. I expected the RNY to force me to learn to eat right. I thought I would never be able to eat certain foods again and if I tried I would get so sick that I would not eat it again. I also thought I would never be able to overeat again with the small stomach without throwing up. I never really got either of those except some restriction that did not last long. I am so afraid to just rely on me doing the right thing with no surgical help. Dr. K says he does not believe I failed because of poor eating or overeating and or lack of exercise. He thinks its genetics and the need for more mal-absorption that comes from a true DS. He thinks I am a victim of the wrong procedure not a failed one just not the right or best tool for me. I also worry about continuing to regain weight and returning of some of the original co-morbidities such as diabetes and HTN. I also do not know if Dr. K will get pass the insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield) firewall for an RNY to DS procedure. I am going to go to Dr. K in the next few weeks he wants to do an endoscopy himself and tell me what he will be dealing with if he does the surgery. If I get the DS then I may have to go to Dr. M in Brazil and plan to stay longer and take the risks....I am unsure still and I know I have diet compliance issues to consider....

Yeah, the issues related to compliance--not just with diet but with all the DS maintenance stuff--are life-and-death. That's why I've been so bitchy about it :).

Latest posts

Back