Protein-egg/fooled me/mind body and soul pay paying the price.

feeder

For 8 years I have been on egg protein from a local brick and motor store. Vit. Shoppe. It was only when the price of eggs went up about 4 months ago did I notice a change in the consistency of the powder. I am 56 and a creature of habit. So when I started feeling weak, tired, feeling in my toes numb, I got into my hemo. Iron panel low but doable. Went to see Endo, as I knew I was sick. Nothing changed in my habits and yet sure enough my labs were in the shit hole. I was mal. nourished and TPN was a option for me. My endo works with very close with me and knows how anal I am will all my vits. and protein drinks. She said I fell into this state in just 4 months as my labs were done 4 months prior. At the end of the visit she agreed it was probably the protein powder and I have now switched to the other expensive egg protein

and recheck in 6 weeks. If not up TPN I will go.

So, you are are 8 years post DS? If that is the case is there a reason why you are relying on protein powder and not actual food for the majority of your protein? Do you have a problem eating meat and such, and is that why you are dependent on a protein drink that much that is would cause you to malnourished?

Sorry I don't mean to be offensive but it just isn't adding up to me why, even if this protein powder became less protein laden, that it would make that big of a difference in your overall nutritional values.

Hey DSRIGGS, a little over 8 1/2 yrs. I love meat and fish. Eat it daily. over 200grams. a day. My protein drinks are double protein shakes. I follow your journey. You are a real trooper. Love Dr. K. Talked with him several years ago. Glad you were able to get fixed by him. Dr. Inman my surgeon only revise by doing longer cc. I asked for the kissing x but she did not do it. I have been nursing myself along with the help of my endo, hemo, gastro, nuro, and pcp. Least not forget this board. I have been taken massive amounts of vits sense right out to the gate.

Hey DSRIGGS, a little over 8 1/2 yrs. I love meat and fish. Eat it daily. over 200grams. a day. My protein drinks are double protein shakes. I follow your journey. You are a real trooper. Love Dr. K. Talked with him several years ago. Glad you were able to get fixed by him. Dr. Inman my surgeon only revise by doing longer cc. I asked for the kissing x but she did not do it. I have been nursing myself along with the help of my endo, hemo, gastro, nuro, and pcp. Least not forget this board. I have been taken massive amounts of vits sense right out to the gate.
Wow Hon you eat like me and sound you have real problems with your absorbtion. I am sorry to hear of your struggles. Hopefully you can get some help.

So how long ago did you have your common channel extended? Did it help?

Thank you for your kind words for me. I do love Dr K and really wish I was living in the area so I could see him in person more often. I am pretty sure I have another intestinal hernia but don't want to go to Dr Marshall here. I would really like Dr K to take a look but it is expensive and time consuming to fly out to LA.

I did not go through with the lengthen of the cc. Just didn't think Dr. Inman had done enough of revisions to do the job I needed. After talking with Dr. K I knew I was right. As we know it is not always about the cc. Being a lightweight virgin DS I had a 100cc cookie cutter DS. This is why I have had to be very compliant with my regime and have grown to know my body. 8 years of labs every 3 to 4 months keeps me on my toes. I am making my move to have a revision at the end of the summer. Not because of low BMI because I am low end of BMI, but my overgrowth, low blood sugar, massive amounts of vits, 150oz of water day, no exercise because if I even increase my regime it makes me have to eat more and drink more. I can dehydrate at the drop of a dime.

I remember on here posting a saying, slow and steady wins the race. I think it was Lara, or Diana who said It can also kill you. Every day I live with that. So can you believe when I finally get into a position in my life to be able to have a revision the egg protein decides to change it's recipe to save money and not tell us. Just makes me sick. I will work myself out of
this, but dam, they should not be able to do this. Where is the FDA when it's needed.

After 4 hernia repairs after my DS they put a large amount of mesh in me. The last one my insurance paid for a TT with muscle repair. This improved my BM"s greatly. I was able to empty and felt so much satisfied.

I did not go through with the lengthen of the cc. Just didn't think Dr. Inman had done enough of revisions to do the job I needed. After talking with Dr. K I knew I was right. As we know it is not always about the cc. Being a lightweight virgin DS I had a 100cc cookie cutter DS. This is why I have had to be very compliant with my regime and have grown to know my body. 8 years of labs every 3 to 4 months keeps me on my toes. I am making my move to have a revision at the end of the summer. Not because of low BMI because I am low end of BMI, but my overgrowth, low blood sugar, massive amounts of vits, 150oz of water day, no exercise because if I even increase my regime it makes me have to eat more and drink more. I can dehydrate at the drop of a dime.

I remember on here posting a saying, slow and steady wins the race. I think it was Lara, or Diana who said It can also kill you. Every day I live with that. So can you believe when I finally get into a position in my life to be able to have a revision the egg protein decides to change it's recipe to save money and not tell us. Just makes me sick. I will work myself out of
this, but dam, they should not be able to do this. Where is the FDA when it's needed.

After 4 hernia repairs after my DS they put a large amount of mesh in me. The last one my insurance paid for a TT with muscle repair. This improved my BM"s greatly. I was able to empty and felt so much satisfied.
I agree with the cheapening of product being evil, no doubt.

Is Dr K going to do your revision? You know how I feel about him. The best technicslly and as a human being who cares about his patients.

I am not sure I know what TT is but my BM's are difficult again and I am tired of being, bloated, distended, not feeling like I empty well and my gut feelings ng like hell. I am sure my intestinal hernia is back and want Dr K to look at and fix me if I can find the time and money for the trip (I am unemployed currently and a great opportunity, so I thought fell through so can't waste a lot of money.. Unemployment is nowhere near my old salary and my severance runs out this next week). I want him to fix it for good so my gut isn't always a mess. My labs aren't perfect yet but much better after the revision and I don't need Creon (BTW are you on Creon) but I am tired of feeling like shit because my energy is not back and I have days where I feel like hell.

Anyway best of luck to you and nice chatting.. Glad to get know you a little. I have had three good fortune of actually meeting larra and she is such a great lady. Dianna and Liz are great ladies at well and I am so grateful for everything those three do for us through this board, and there are so many great members here as well that this place is like family

Dr. K will be doing my revision. TT is tummy tuck with muscle repair. I was told if the muscles were repaired I would have better pushing and pulling control with my BM's. They were right. Was not going into this looking for Plastic Surgery, but after 4 hernia's decided to give it a try. Very good decision. I remember Diana Cox post about her PS nightmare and it scared the hell out of me. Just never wanted to go down that road. But as I have learned never say never. When we are in so much discomfort from out guts to our butts anything is possible. I used a PS in Carmel Indiana who went from hip to hip, no drains, no stitches just glued me shut. The man is amazing cutter and way ahead of many in the pack.

Bloating, distended, and gut feeling like hell. I hear you there. My first 2 years were bad. I went to Mayo Clinic and there got some of the answers I needed. I have SIBO. Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. It is chronic to the point I at times do not even have the normal systems and feel good but those bugs are eating away at my sugars just the same and it causes me chronic low blood sugar. By low I mean it will not even register on my labs. My alc comes in at 3.5 always. Endo tells me it's because the lab can't go that low. Mayo told me the father out from my ds I got the harder it would be to control. They were right. I feel 100% better on the antibiotics. Was told I would need them for life. These come with side effects. It's a balance game. No gut problems when on them. My blood sugars are better on them, feel more alive bloating gone empty good., Then my gut gets use to them so I back off or go to another type. In between being off the antibiotics my alc drops and so do I. Pass out more than I care to talk about. The overgrowth eats away at protein also, trying to stay ahead of the game of muscle wasting has been a real art for me. It is not the DS per say, but these side effects that keep me chronic. Have been told no guarantee that a revision can fix it. I know of several who after their revision are still left with some of these side effects. Many people w/o WLS have these issues. So much to learn about our guts. What was working for me with the high amounts of vitamins A D E K, iron infusions, copper, zinc, cal. cit. mag. ox and mag. cit. biotin, multi. and no exercise was ok, not best, but got along, changed with the change in protein drink. Made me think can't count on anything to last in this world.

I use a probiotic that for me with my issues is the best and I have tried many. It comes in a script for me. 4 times a day. VSL#3DS. If you would like me to send you some just PM me.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I did not work before my DS. Stay at home mom and loved it. To think that I would have had to go back to work, well it just could not have happened. Been told for years I could be on disability, but my husbands insurance is so good I can pick my own doctors and I believe they kept me alive the first 5 years, so just am going to ride the wave. You have a strong support system, you seem to be a man who's cup is always full, you will learn to tame the beast!

Dr. K will be doing my revision. TT is tummy tuck with muscle repair. I was told if the muscles were repaired I would have better pushing and pulling control with my BM's. They were right. Was not going into this looking for Plastic Surgery, but after 4 hernia's decided to give it a try. Very good decision. I remember Diana Cox post about her PS nightmare and it scared the hell out of me. Just never wanted to go down that road. But as I have learned never say never. When we are in so much discomfort from out guts to our butts anything is possible. I used a PS in Carmel Indiana who went from hip to hip, no drains, no stitches just glued me shut. The man is amazing cutter and way ahead of many in the pack.

Bloating, distended, and gut feeling like hell. I hear you there. My first 2 years were bad. I went to Mayo Clinic and there got some of the answers I needed. I have SIBO. Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. It is chronic to the point I at times do not even have the normal systems and feel good but those bugs are eating away at my sugars just the same and it causes me chronic low blood sugar. By low I mean it will not even register on my labs. My alc comes in at 3.5 always. Endo tells me it's because the lab can't go that low. Mayo told me the father out from my ds I got the harder it would be to control. They were right. I feel 100% better on the antibiotics. Was told I would need them for life. These come with side effects. It's a balance game. No gut problems when on them. My blood sugars are better on them, feel more alive bloating gone empty good., Then my gut gets use to them so I back off or go to another type. In between being off the antibiotics my alc drops and so do I. Pass out more than I care to talk about. The overgrowth eats away at protein also, trying to stay ahead of the game of muscle wasting has been a real art for me. It is not the DS per say, but these side effects that keep me chronic. Have been told no guarantee that a revision can fix it. I know of several who after their revision are still left with some of these side effects. Many people w/o WLS have these issues. So much to learn about our guts. What was working for me with the high amounts of vitamins A D E K, iron infusions, copper, zinc, cal. cit. mag. ox and mag. cit. biotin, multi. and no exercise was ok, not best, but got along, changed with the change in protein drink. Made me think can't count on anything to last in this world.

I use a probiotic that for me with my issues is the best and I have tried many. It comes in a script for me. 4 times a day. VSL#3DS. If you would like me to send you some just PM me.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I did not work before my DS. Stay at home mom and loved it. To think that I would have had to go back to work, well it just could not have happened. Been told for years I could be on disability, but my husbands insurance is so good I can pick my own doctors and I believe they kept me alive the first 5 years, so just am going to ride the wave. You have a strong support system, you seem to be a man who's cup is always full, you will learn to tame the beast!
Wow, I think we need to talk as I think I can learn a lot from you (hope you don't mind).

SIBO and bloat. I did several courses of antibiotic including flagyl last October to the end of year and I guess my gut improved a bit for a while. I thought is was things settling in a bit but maybe I do have SIBO again. What do you do for antibiotics? I passed on my last GI visit as I was feeling better but the last several weeks I have been more bloated and painful pooping where I don't seem to empty well again. In my mind it is my 3rd intestinal hernia, but maybe it is overgrowth and possibly combination of partial blockage.

A1C dropping. Well my last read was very low and I never tied poor absorption to low sugar. Here is my last read.

upload_2016-2-25_19-15-55.png
I am pretty sure 4% is as low as the OSF scale goes but with a 68 average Glucose the corresponding A1C would be just a smidge under 4.0.

I am waiting for m A, E & K copper and zinc to come back because everything other than zinc was below range or just in (K) last read. I was taking 200K IU A, 800mg E, 4,000 K1 and 2mg copper and 300 mg zinc (was low but back in range last read). My H & H popped up a bit this time so I am just slightly below range now 37% and 12, RBC popped up a little but still below range, plateletes dropped below range (130), Albumin up from 3.8 to 4,(3.5 = low) Total Protein up a tad from 5.7 to 5.9 (low = 6.3) so still out of range.........I have been feeling run down and my weight dropped back a tad as well. Dr K and I discussed the possibiity of me going back on a low dose of creon so we shall see.

I wonder if I need to go on antibiotics for SIBO and then maybe go on prescription Probiotic as well? I just do one PDU a day. Really just started after revision as it had hurt my gut before.

I also think I need to get my A1C checked again on next draw to.

In any case, we sound like we have a lot of similarities. BTW, I live in the Peoria area so I am probably not too far from you over in Indiana. Thanks for your posts.

Holy Cow, I didn't know that my Vitamin Shoppe Egg Protein powder got a cheaper source. That sucks. I noticed that the price had doubled, so it was a shock that it was nearly the same or actually more expensive than Jay Robb. I won't be getting that again! Is Jay Robb the more expensive one that you mentioned?

I, also, have been on quite the merry-go-round the past few years since chemo. This last pet scan, the only place lighting up was in my colon, so I had another colonoscopy, and was verified with IBS:D and sigmoid diverticulitis. The gas is horrific at times, and constant, but some of that I know must be from eating carbs. I've been doing a bit better with more of a FODMAP diet, maybe there's something in that regarding what sets off the IBS. I've also been upping the calcium, so that may be helping, I don't know.

Anyways, the gastro doc is trying to get me approved for a course of Xifaxin. That may help for a few months at least. I had been on a bunch of probiotics with no relief, and actually started dropping weight without trying, which seemed rather strange at 11 years out. That's stopped a bit since I changed to more FODMAP type stuff, but I can't be sure. Still normal weight and feel good, but tired of the diarrhea and gas, for sure.

Tell me, what egg protein powders are any good?
Thanks,
Jill

Jill, Now I am using Jay Robb. Labs will be run in a month to find out if it's working. Xifaxan Tab 550mg 2 x a day. Used this many times. Also at times use together with Flagyl. Sorry about your gut issues. Have you tried the VSL#3DS. My GI doctor gives me a script for this. If you go to their website it is used for many things you listed in your post. I was told by Mayo that as clean as I eat and as strict at I am with my protein, fats, carbs, the overgrowth will still take place. Get a script for rotating antibiotics.

Scott, we do have things in common. Been following you for awhile now. When I started the probiotic was told to take it at night. I guess it works better with nothing going in and out so the bugs can get to fighting. I too tried several probiotics and they gave me bloats, gas and just made me feel icky. This stuff really works to help keep things in check for awhile, but then out of nowhere back with bad bugs and back on antibiotics.

My blood sugar for me is very crippling. The overgrowth eats sugar, so I need to eat the right kinds of sugar, carbs and pare it with the right foods. Still doing this I can not predict Every day, the weather can change, walking or standing longer than usual for me can dip my blood sugar. Your blood sugar is way to low. Can you get your Endo to start tracking it and getting you a nut. visit so you can understand how to eat for chronic low blood sugar and SIBO. Endo can write a # for GLUCAGON 1MG EMERGENCY KIT. My insurance covers 6 at a time for $40. per month. on average I use 3-5 a month. One in every car, bed table, living room chair, all my kids house, my friends cars and my purse.

I used to have glucagon when I was diabetic. Everytime I have spot checked my glucose has been good 85-90 fasting and 120sh after eating... and frankly the endos in Peoria are horrid so not going to find one here.

I will need to figure out why my sugar is low. I need my a1c rechecked and to figure out what other changes need to be made so I may have to go to Chicago to find a good endo to more in depth testing. I do eat carbs with most meals.. Slice of oatnut toast with my eggs in the morning. Some veggies with meals, potatoes with meals at times, etc. I don't go nuts on carbs but I don't care restrict either.

My biggest concern is figuring out my gut issue(s)and getting it taken care of. I am distended right around my umbilicus (spongy when push on it) and it comes and goes. So I think I back up and then it let's loose then backs up again ll, so like a partial obstruction. I need to be closer to Dr k because GI docs don't understand the Ds gut and are way too conservative. I need a guy like Dr K who can look at the structural bowel issues and fix surgically if needed and then to also address sibo possibility as well glucose problem.

Are you thinking that I have reactive hypoglycemia? Is that what you have and how does your endo have you eat for that? I am urinating a lot at night the last several months, like when I was diabetic before my DS surger. I am not sure what it means now

I will pm you when I am more awake tomorrow. My youngest has tonsils out this morning so it was a very busy day but I need to follow up with recruiters tomorrow and with you to get ideas on antibiotics, probiotic, the glucose issues, etc.

Thanks for the ideas and advice, and good luck with your issues. Do you take creon or other pancreatic enzyme now?

Anyway, sorry I am rambling as I am half asleep typing on phone sitting on the toilet. Lol.. Good night

Nope, no hypoglycemia for me. I crawl through life with chronic low blood sugar. My days are intermittently good. The balance when the SIBO is in check and the blood sugar are able to get to my brain is when I am reminded of the me I use to be. One gets use to living this way but not with out a lot of changes and soul searching. Adapt my life so I am not as much as a burden on my loved ones.

I was a LW. 48yrs. old when I had my virgin DS. My mother died at 60. She had battled her weight all her adult life. She was never sick as I can remember. Artist, historian, ball room dancer, country line dancer, musician, mother of 6, grandmother of 12. She retired early at Purdue University where she was head of International Studies. Less than a year after she retired she died of knee surgery compilations. My Father who was never overweight and in great health had a heart attack upon my mothers death. One of my mothers fears was being overweight and in her senior years living in a nursing home. She had worked in the arts department when us kids were very young and she talked about how they treated overweight people. It made her very sad. Although the shock and trauma surrounding my mothers death was overwhelming things turned out. Doctors had her on a roller coaster after the knee surgery, she tried all she could, but you know the medical world. I tell you this because at 48, I was having health issues no diabetics yet, but every time the doctors opened their mouths they world say if you just take off the weight you'll be good. Not wanting the road map laid out by my mother, I welcomed the DS.

Thanks EN. Trying to keep up with your moves can make one burn calories just reading about it all. So glad you have moved and settled in. Left the lawyers, lawsuits and low life behind ya. Montana, yep someday EN, Someday. When you least expect it I'll be giving you a call and flying out. My son of 25 and father of 83 are both nearing end of life. Both live with me. When they pass think I will need some wide open spaces to process my mission in life.

Latest posts

Back