Prep for Colonoscopy

nedsmehlp

Just got my instructions for colonoscopy prep. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same prep. It is SUPREP Bowel prep Kit. You add this to water, total 16 oz and drink all liquid. You must drink 32 oz more of water within an hour. You repeat this process at 3am the morning of. Also 5 days before colonoscopy you can't take any herbal supplements or iron supplements. (Does that mean vitamins?) It also says no solid food the day before, just clear liquids. Has anyone else done this? I don't know how I'll drink all that liquid in 1 hour and the 16 oz right down. And not being able to eat solid food for the whole day before?! Anyone else do this prep? Thanks for any info.

No solid food is pretty standard prep. Just broth and jello (no red jello) and any other fluids you want (no red dye). If there are solids in your colon it could hide a growth. You gotta be CLEAN.

But docs vary widely on what they want you to take to clean out. A month ago my husband had to make an entire bottle of Miralax powder in 64oz of Crystal Light lemonade, drink half PLUS 4 Dulcolax pills at 5pm and get up and drink the rest of the Miralax/Crystal Light at 5am.

I think the only thing they worried about was iron supplements although I think it was only for 3 days. They're also concerned about blood thinners which does include some herbal supplements like ginger.

No matter what they have you do, the, ahem, evacuation is never fun. Just do it and know you won't have to do it again for 8-10 years.

It's not that bad. They gave me a gallon jug with some powder in it. I had to mix it with water and drink 8 ounces of it every 15 minutes for 4 hours. But before that I had to drink a bottle of magnesium citrate. Also had to drink some more the next morning, I think.

Just stay close to the toilet.

While having to drink that much was probably the worst part, it's doable. Not eating for a day was tolerable. Ironically, you think you'll be famished after the procedure considering you haven't eaten for 24 hours, but the hunger actually dies down the longer you go. Goes to show how much of it is head hunger. Our food-addict brains are jerks.

You've got this. Don't worry about it.

Suprep is WAY better than the gallon jug prep!! I ALWAYS puke from the other kind and managed the Suprep. I opened this thread just to tell you to ask for it.

Get some beef broth to drink/wash your mouth out with after chugging the prep. It tastes like metallic cherry cough syrup - not the worst flavor, but get it rinsed out ASAP.

Ask about vitamins that are blood thinners...vit E is a blood thinner and is also in your multi. It won't hurt for you to go a few days no vitamins as long as you get back to them afterward.

Dh's first colonoscopy was post-DS and he damned near didn't get cleared out soon enough. Even with all the prep, it was like it was all stuck. He plans on starting a day sooner next time. My last one was pre-DS, due up again in less than 2 years now. I plan on starting at least a day earlier as well.

I usually whine until they agree to MagCitrate...two bottles...HOWEVER...

MY BODY DOES NOT DO WELL WITH ANY BOWEL PREP...pre-DS, I barely finished before my 7:00 am DS surgery.

But 12 years later, my last bowel prep said it would work "within two hours." Twelve hours later, it was JUST starting to work...and I didn't think I could get to the hospital without incident.

BUT HERE'S WHAT I WOULD DO...CALL YOUR GI DOCTOR'S OFFICE, TELL THEM THAT 85% OF YOUR STOMACH IS GONE AND YOUR INTESTINES HAVE BEEN REARRANGED...and ask what you should do. Make sure it's someone who isn't reading the answer off a script or who thinks you have the RnY.

In my case, I will from now on, start HOURS AND HOURS before told to do so.

Fun fact:
Now, the REASON they give for wanting a relative "close call" between the end of pooping and the start of the colonosopy is that there is a mucous that forms in the colon...the longer the time between the end of the pooping and the start of the colonoscopy, the more mucous will be there...and the less clear the video images will be.

I go for an extra day in advance of liquids only; because I *hate* prep day and that makes it better for me. Drink with a straw, cold, chase with a squeeze lemon or lime slice (like you would for a shot of tequila).

Also, remember no red or purple liquids as they can stain our insides and cause confusion during the colonoscopy.

Unpleasant but doable. Also as word of warning, hemorrhoids and anal fissures can be exacerbated by colonoscopy so if you have these get them under control as much as possible beforehand and have meds on hand for afterward.

Thank you, everyone for all the information! This really helps! I wasn't sure this would be doable, but I will buck up and do it! Thanks Southernlady, I didn't know vitamin E is a blood thinner, I will make sure I don't take that. One other question, after all that prep, will you have gas during the colonoscopy? My husband keeps saying, as gassy as I am, I'll probably blow them all away. I would die of embarrassment if I do that! Now I'm a nervous wreck. Another question, different subject. I'm changing my PCP since she doesn't want to help me, I was told of a good family Dr., but was wondering if it is better to have a Dr of Internal medicine than a GP? I want to make the right choice this time. How do you know if a Dr is the right one for you?

Oh, and aloe vera or some other type of soothing ass-wiper for the acid that will come out of your butt. And butt-paste/desitin for more soothing. Or a bidet. Yeah, a bidet - you DESERVE one, for both before the colonoscopy and because you're worth it afterwards.

Don't worry about farting during the procedure - EVERYONE does.

Thank you, everyone for all the information! This really helps! I wasn't sure this would be doable, but I will buck up and do it! Thanks Southernlady, I didn't know vitamin E is a blood thinner, I will make sure I don't take that. One other question, after all that prep, will you have gas during the colonoscopy? My husband keeps saying, as gassy as I am, I'll probably blow them all away. I would die of embarrassment if I do that! Now I'm a nervous wreck. Another question, different subject. I'm changing my PCP since she doesn't want to help me, I was told of a good family Dr., but was wondering if it is better to have a Dr of Internal medicine than a GP? I want to make the right choice this time. How do you know if a Dr is the right one for you?

You're pumped up air during the procedure so, yes, you will fart, but they don't smell at all - nothing in your colon = no big stink.

Latest posts

Back