Post-Surgery Exercise: Protein Absorption and Weight Training

Thanks for that info Liz. It helps me to know how other DS'ers years out are fairing and what they eat. I'm 6' 1" and now weigh 201lbs. My original goal weight was 199 lbs but I then lowered it to 189 lbs because I saw that I could easily reach that goal. I'm very thin in arms, lower legs, and chest/neck/face. I still have a good sized lower abdomen, though it's getting pretty darn hollow nowadays-I think it's mostly excess skin. I think 189 lbs will be where I'll hope to stabilize, though I was thinking if I ever had my excess skin off it could bring me down another 10+ lbs. I do plan to make a concerted effort to regain muscle mass, because I am VERY weak in my legs and arms compared to what I'm used to. My legs are too weak for safety, as I can have trouble standing up from low chairs and even had a problem with my brothers absurdly low toilet. My shoulders are Auschwitz camp survivors like skinny, to the point my 2 brothers both expressed horror when I took my shirt off. But like you and others here have shared, I think I can see some fat redistribution and a general reorganization going on in my body. I like to say I've stripped the house down to the foundation and studs, and now I'm planning to rebuild it. I know I need to eat better and I think I am starting to turn a corner and have a better capacity for foods. I feel healthy and my labs were pretty good (except a slightly low A level-which I'm addressing). I think I'm going to be ok! And when I think of that poor wretched soul who weighed 412 lbs and drew stares everywhere he went, I have no problem at all with my relatively minor inconveniences I'm dealing with now. I WILL rebuild my body and make it stronger, and I WILL maximize my health by staying on top of my labs, bone density tests , etc. I'm very grateful to this community of dear folks who have provided me with sooo much knowledge and support over the past year. I couldn't have made it without you...and I really do me that literally.

:thanx:

Will, is the lack of strength that you deal with now because of lack of muscle or the WEIGHT that use to be behind that? My strength level hasn't changed from pre-op but I have trouble pushing open doors, etc cause I no longer have my weight behind it.

One of the things we do around here is renovations. Use to be, dh would have me hold the end of a board while he cut the other end. No biggie...til I lost weight. I was still pressing AS hard, I just no longer had 200+ lbs of weight to go with it. My strength didn't change, my weight did. We have to adjust to the new normal.

As to your brothers...they see you with OLD eyes...the eyes that are use to seeing the fat you. If someone who has never known you fat OR your doctor tells you you are too skinny, then listen...otherwise just keep losing as long as you can AS LONG as you don't get underweight.

Will, is the lack of strength that you deal with now because of lack of muscle or the WEIGHT that use to be behind that? My strength level hasn't changed from pre-op but I have trouble pushing open doors, etc cause I no longer have my weight behind it.

One of the things we do around here is renovations. Use to be, dh would have me hold the end of a board while he cut the other end. No biggie...til I lost weight. I was still pressing AS hard, I just no longer had 200+ lbs of weight to go with it. My strength didn't change, my weight did. We have to adjust to the new normal.

As to your brothers...they see you with OLD eyes...the eyes that are use to seeing the fat you. If someone who has never known you fat OR your doctor tells you you are too skinny, then listen...otherwise just keep losing as long as you can AS LONG as you don't get underweight.

I hear what you're saying Liz about heavier people being able to left more,etc, but it's definitely weakness in my case from muscle loss. My legs were far stronger carrying my 412 lb behemoth body around than they are now at less than 1/2 that weight. Like I said, I actually need to use significant arm strength to get out of a chair now, because my legs alone aren't strong enough. But I think a good old fashioned strengthening and conditioning program will do the trick, so I'm not too worried. I also agree with my brothers looking at me and comparing me to the hulking brute I once was. I'm planning to go to 189 lbs so I have now 12 lbs to go. I then won't worry too much about gaining 10 lbs or so, because I'm hoping most of that will be new found muscles. I would like to stay under 200 lbs for life if possible...we shall see. :)

Latest posts

Back