POST OP HELP

Barbara

I am seeing Dr.Greenbaum tomorrow and hope to get a surgery date. I live alone and don't have relatives nearby to help. I have a great friend who is willing to help. If all goes well and I am released on a Friday can I anticipate taking care of myself by Monday? How soon will I be able to drive? This will be an open revision. Thanks.

Hi @Barbara! I'll be there tomorrow too for my first follow up appt. My appt got moved from Tuesday due to snow.

As far as recovery - that is so hard to answer. I'm a little over 2 weeks post op now and finally getting some strength back. Trying to recover from open surgery while taking in so few calories absolutely kicked my ass. I was weak and exhausted and got light headed quite a bit those first two weeks. I finally feel like I'm getting stronger but I still have no energy. Dr. G restricts driving for at least a week. If you take the pain meds beyond a week you can't drive while on them.

I think you'll need help for at least that first week home. Hopefully you'll have an easier recovery than I am, but you want to be safe.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get good news tomorrow! Good luck!

I was told not to drive for a week, and that was with a virgin lap surgery. It was explained to me, not that I wouldn't be *able* to drive, but that, god forbid, I was behind the wheel and got into an accident, there would be serious damage to contend with from the steering wheel/airbag hitting my freshly cut insides. I would imagine it would be more of a concern for you, but I think it's something to talk to the doc about. Is it possible for you to stock up the house beforehand so you won't need to go out for anything? Or to have a friend on-call for something urgent?

Latest posts

Back