PCP looked at me like I had 2 heads when I said I was having a DS

OrganicLife

I had discussed wls with my PCP before. Explained to her that I was thinking of a revision to a DS. She asked me why not a gastric bypass? That was about 6 months ago. The past 2 months, I went back for a basic visit to get refills on my BP meds. Then last month, I decided to go full forward with the revision to a DS. I explained to her about my other abdominal surgeries and the severe adhesions my body makes. She was writing stuff down in my chart, and asked me if anyone lives with me. I said yes. She said I will need help with this major under taking. It's a complete lifestyle change.

I hope that when I go the next time for a visit (probably to get the jtube taken out), she will see the weight loss. The one of the med techs she has there said that "why did the doctor order so many different specific blood tests." The DR needs to know the results from all of those tests to make sure everything is ok, and then the results will be used as a base line for the next set of blood work I will have in a few months.

I think I will be an example for this surgery at my PCP's office. She seems to push the sleeve and the bypass. Hopefully, I will be the poster child for the DS in her office.

Good for you. Educate them and hopefully she will stop pushing a high failure rate surgery like the RnY to patients after she sees your results.

Yeah, even tho the DS is done in Knoxville where we were living at the time, my PCP who was with a different hospital system than my surgeon knew nothing about the DS. The bariatric office at that hospital only did lap band and rny and had JUST started with the sleeve. But the hospital system my PCP was at was not a COE (and yes I know that means very little except at the time, it meant getting it paid by insurance rather than my paying for it). Our PCP was willing to learn tho and was thrilled with how well we did.

I must be extraordinarily capable, because somehow I had a DS while living alone and survived. Sure, it would have been nice to have someone to fix a bite to eat for me or clean the kitty litter, but in a way being on my own forced me to get up and moving even when I didn't feel like it. I did have a friend walk the dog for me, and another friend was kind enough to take me to the store once, but that was it. In any event, no one else can make a lifestyle change for you.

@Larra, I'm gonna join your extraordinarily capable club!

Actually, having had my lap band while I was married, and now my DS while single, making a lifestyle change alone is much, much easier. My ex didn't want to eat what I wanted to eat, whereas now I have no-one to please but myself!

Exactly why do you need someone who LIVES with you "help" you make a lifestyle change? You are being treated like you are not only fat, but stupid. I would change PCPs.

Yes, I am getting another PCP. I put in for my insurance change. It takes place on Jan 1, and with that comes a choice of a new PCP. Here I go again.

I must be extraordinarily capable, because somehow I had a DS while living alone and survived. Sure, it would have been nice to have someone to fix a bite to eat for me or clean the kitty litter, but in a way being on my own forced me to get up and moving even when I didn't feel like it. I did have a friend walk the dog for me, and another friend was kind enough to take me to the store once, but that was it. In any event, no one else can make a lifestyle change for you.

When I had my son, I was living alone. Had a c-section awake, came home alone with a new born. It was me, and me alone. I also had a dog and a cat. My laundry was on the lower level. I did it all, alone. I had no one there to help me, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

With this surgery, I will be ok. The only difference with this surgery and all the others I have had over the years, is the jtube and I won't be home after being released from the hospital. But, I'll be ok. It's all for the better :)

If you handled a C-section, new baby, pets and housework by yourself, you can handle this too. Baring complications you should do just fine.

The j tube IMO is the difference maker. I was so weak because I couldn't eat or drinking anything of consequence for a month. I mean like 30 Oz of liquid and maybe 300 calories of food/nutrition daily. I can't imagine not having my family around to help. the pain and such wasn't the issue at all, it was the extreme weakness.

Anyway, Larra is tough and I am sure you will do well yourself.

@Larra, I'm gonna join your extraordinarily capable club!

Actually, having had my lap band while I was married, and now my DS while single, making a lifestyle change alone is much, much easier. My ex didn't want to eat what I wanted to eat, whereas now I have no-one to please but myself!

I knew i liked you women!

"The only difference with this surgery and all the others I have had over the years, is the jtube and I won't be home after being released from the hospital."

You should ask your surgeon about getting a home health aide to visit you in the hotel once or twice a day to help you out and check on you, just in case. And make sure you have your cell phone on you at all times, in case you need to call for help.

I live completely alone and none of my doctors even batted an eye at that fact. They are still pro-DS. I had the VSG living alone as well as past major abdominal surgery, one which ended up catastrophic with a 2 foot long incision, MRSA, and a wound vac (never mind the original organ rejiggering done three days before the MRSA) and survived just fine. Friends also helped me get groceries once and came to visit. I preferred to be as active as possible, even with the dumb wound vac attached to me for three weeks. After the DS I'll probably have an abdomen worth over 1 million easy, heh.

I would suggest rearranging certain things to make it easier at home and reduce reaching and climbing on stuff. I made sure I had all clean laundry, etc, and the house was in order.

"The only difference with this surgery and all the others I have had over the years, is the jtube and I won't be home after being released from the hospital."

You should ask your surgeon about getting a home health aide to visit you in the hotel once or twice a day to help you out and check on you, just in case. And make sure you have your cell phone on you at all times, in case you need to call for help.

I did ask about the home health aide. They would not recommend anyone or any company. So I am researching that now. If anyone has any recommendations, I would appreciate it!

I had my DS surgery two weeks ago tomorrow. Spent 3 days in the hospital because of nausea. Came home and haven't taken pain meds or nausea meds since. I' m home alone during the day when hubby and kids are at work/school and physically I'm doing great. I walk my dog daily. However I am struggling emotionally. Which I am working on. So for me having someone to 'take care' of me when I got home from the hospital wasn't necessary. Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back