Paula from my 600 pound life

Charris

Now an angel
I chatted with her. I asked with all the weight she had to lose why did she not have the DS? She said because the DR AND Gastric Bypass are basically the same surgery. I explained that they indeed were not.i explained the Differences. Then she said she had no will power. To that I told her she was doing well with her surgery and congratulated her on her loss. I didn't want to seem as if I was harassing her. I asked does her doctor not do the DS. She said yes he does. I have never seen him do one on the show. I seen RNY and the sleeve.

Last edited:
How did you come to chat with her? Seems like she was pretty receptive to your questions.

I like the show but it bothers me they do not offer the DS. They do not do a very good job and following up with the patients in my opinion after the show, so I am curies how they do. I understand I may not know the whole story but I cannot see how the DS is not right for someone that needs to lose all that weight. Like my doc said I could do have had the RNY or sleeve but do not want to lose weight and still be obese.

Well, not to be cruel, but I wonder about the ability to comprehend the intricacies of the DS. Specifically, I don't think some people are smart enough to be able to understand what foods have protein, and what a carb is. We've seen train wrecks on forums over the years, people who should never have had the DS. Those types of people would certainly end up dead with the DS from either not eating protein or not taking vitamins long term.

The doctor was probably talking about putting a Band over her Bypass, or giving her an ERNY with more malabsorption. Or maybe he has some other trick up his sleeve.

Sometimes the education someone receives before surgery is very inadequate or just plain wrong. I had a neighbor tell me recently that she had gastric bypass in January. After talking to her for a few minutes it seemed to me that she had actually had a sleeve. When I asked her a few more questions she said, "Oh yes it is called a sleeve sometimes but its all the same, Sleeve, Gastric Bypass or Gastrectomy." I was floored.

When I was in the hospital recently the nurses and staff kept referring to my "gastric bypass." One day I told a CNA that I had a Duodenal Switch and not a Gastric Bypass. I later overheard her ask a nurse what the difference was. She was told it was all Gastric Bypass except with a "DS modification" the patient has a bigger pouch. Eye roll......

Sometimes the education someone receives before surgery is very inadequate or just plain wrong. I had a neighbor tell me recently that she had gastric bypass in January. After talking to her for a few minutes it seemed to me that she had actually had a sleeve. When I asked her a few more questions she said, "Oh yes it is called a sleeve sometimes but its all the same, Sleeve, Gastric Bypass or Gastrectomy." I was floored. .
Are you serious?!? That's just crazy. I know there is a ton of info that people don't get from the surgeons and/or nuts, but to not even know that much is just ridiculous. Even though the surgeon I saw for the first consult didn't perform DS, and therefore never even mentioned it to me, but the first thing the PA did at the consult was take out charts and explain each surgery. That was the first time I had heard of VSG as well.

Latest posts

Back