Passports and Passport Cards

Munchkin

Full of Fairy Dust
If yours is expiring soon renew now! COVID is the excuse they are using but the delay is real. I applied to get mine renewed in March but they have just now mailed me the new passport. 6 months delay time. I probably should not have posted till I had the new passport in hand but USPS is promising I will get it tomorrow.

mine expired a long time ago and I suspect I might have some trouble renewing it. I have one of those birth certificates that don't look right, apparently*. it has my footprint and everything and a spot for my Dad's occupation and none for my Mom's. :thumbsdown:

*has words I remember hearing were problematic like "certificate of live birth" or somesuch. :dontknow:

mine expired a long time ago and I suspect I might have some trouble renewing it. I have one of those birth certificates that don't look right, apparently*. it has my footprint and everything and a spot for my Dad's occupation and none for my Mom's. :thumbsdown:

*has words I remember hearing were problematic like "certificate of live birth" or somesuch. :dontknow:
Do you have a real ID DL? If not, you need that fixed as soon as you can.

I renewed mine because I had “plans” to travel after I retired in 2017. My plans were initially delayed because of Mother’s declining health.

After she passed in 2018 I was depressed and disinterested in seeing the world. Then my house burned down and I was dealing with that headache. As soon as I felt free to explore the COVID pandemic shut down the world.

I still have plans to travel as soon as it is safe to do so.

MsVee what a terrible series of events, esp the loss of your mother. I hope you, and the rest of us, will be able to travel again soon.

It may sound crazy but everything I have been through lately makes me appreciate what I have even more. I am so glad I retired and was able to spend that year with my Mother. I am so grateful for the things I have managed to replace and salvage from my home. I guess losing so much made me appreciate what I have. I am quick to express my appreciation for the kindness I have been shown because there were days when that was all I felt I had to look forward to. I guess I have learned not to take things for granted.

The book did arrive today on schedule. 2 more mailings to follow for my card and my old documents. It was like a small ray of hope in all the gloom. I opened it and wouldn't you know... Several little informational pamphlets telling me I can't actually GO anywhere and if I make it out of the country I may be stranded. Why did they have to grind my tiny piece of happiness into the dirt?

Oh well. Now I have Real ID at least.

Do you have a real ID DL? If not, you need that fixed as soon as you can.

how do I know for sure? I suspect I don't.

After she passed in 2018 I was depressed and disinterested in seeing the world. Then my house burned down and I was dealing with that headache. As soon as I felt free to explore the COVID pandemic shut down the world.

that is so sad! I'm glad you are able to see it as an opportunity to appreciate what you have and I hope you can travel safely soon.

Several little informational pamphlets telling me I can't actually GO anywhere and if I make it out of the country I may be stranded.

bah! well, you'll be ready when it's safe.

My passport book and passport card expire in Nov 2022. I need to start thinking of getting them renewed, especially because I‘d like a cuter picture, it’ll take awhile to complete the process, and to minimize hiccups with future travel. My last passport photo was taken when I was heavier and I had braces.

I love my passport card and use it whenever someone asks for government-issued photo ID. I especially like that it doesn’t have my address on it, which helps limit PII data shared with 3rd parties.

Look at your states DL. If it matches the real ID one, you are okay.
I don't have one. now I have to get one from WA anyway.

in fact, I'm not sure how I'm going to do that when the office is in White Salmon and I'm working 40 minutes away. :dontknow:

and I need the ID first because my Oregon plates expire at the end of August and I need to go get plates at the other end of the county.

did I mention since covid I can't think as well? and I am really tired after working a 6:46 hour day. this is not at all convenient. :unsure:

my OR driver's lic is NOT a real ID. I need to get my WA driver's lic ASAP and have an appointment for Saturday at the local place (whew).

I can choose to get a regular driver's lic OR a real ID. why would I need a Real ID - I know if I want to get a passport, any other reason I should get one?

southernlady ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back