Oral hydromorphone vs IV

DSRIGGS

Yes, that is chocolate covered bacon
Man this oral shot sucks. I was on 1mg iv diaLysis as well as 2mg oral. I go one every 2 hours. At home it is 2mg every 6 h o it's and it doesn't do Jack shit. I knew oral was weaker than iv but didn't realize how much until I looked it up. It is 5:1 ratio so to get equivalent of 1mg iv (which isn't enough...I normally 2-3 mg of iv dilaudid I have to take 5 mg...so time to up the dose because I think the marcaine Dr k I injected in my gut is wearing off because I be a hurtin mofo tonight.

I have my 10/325 Norco as well so I don't know if adding one of those on top of 5 mg dilaudid will help or not? I don't know if thesxe can be combined.

I'm sorry you are in such pain. Although I've had my share of pain meds, I can't help here, and just know to be super careful because I'm aware how much they can suppress breathing in myself. Can you call them to ask about upping the dose or mixing them?? I hope you get some relief.

I'm sorry you are in such pain. Although I've had my share of pain meds, I can't help here, and just know to be super careful because I'm aware how much they can suppress breathing in myself. Can you call them to ask about upping the dose or mixing them?? I hope you get some relief.
Thanks Sweetie. I am okay, just hurting a bit more today than yesterday. I am pretty sure it is where the plastic tacks that hold down the mesh are screwed into my abdominal wall.....that sounds fun doesn't it? :D.

Believe me I won't over do it, lol my wife wont let me.

Yeah, be careful with that stuff, Scott! Not that I want you to be in pain, but better that than not breathing. I'm glad your wife is there to keep you in line.

Yeah, be careful with that stuff, Scott! Not that I want you to be in pain, but better that than not breathing. I'm glad your wife is there to keep you in line.
Ha!

Yeah I don't do anything stupid. I am not getting any dizzy or buzzed feel and I just added one extra 2mg dilaudid po. I definitely like breathing s no worries. :D

@DSRIGGS I told you. I thought it was just me. But it to be expected because Morphine oral also sucks Azz! So when I go back to pain management I'm going to ask to speed up the process to get all my dilaudid switched over to Oxycodone 15 mg no Tylenol. It is supposed to take me 4 more months to completely get off the Dilaudid. I think to be honest what is really getting me through this is the OxyContin 40mg twice a day. Without that I'm chewing 8mg Dilaudid like bubble gum.

Docs are so conservative with pain meds and do not prescribe enough for recovery. I needed a min of 2mg iv in hospital and I was getting one. At home I am prescribed 2 po and to match the 1 iv I need 5. I am going to ask for a new prescription at 8 tomorrow but doubt he will give it too me. I am sure he will balk at 30 straight Oxy too so I don't know what to do

Yea He is very conservative with the pain meds. When I had the DS I was in so much pain. When the pharmacy added up what I take at home on a daily basis what he was giving me was the equivalent of a baby asprin. Then and only then did he give me some real meds. So since then he has been better but still not what I truly need!

Unfortunately, so many have abused pain meds that doctors are having to be super conservative. And crossing state lines is very problematic.
True but honesty I think many of these Dr's have never had surgery themselves or a condition requiring some serious pain control. One of Cameron's St Jude docs told me that he had never experienced pain in his life. Without that understanding of what true pain feels like and how a given med affects that pain I believe that everyone is a drug seeker. Additionally if you aren't a whiner, moaner, crier like some of these people I hear when I am in the hospital I think they assume it isnt as bad as you are saying it is.

The bottom line is that many docsdo not provide adequate pain relief for their patients, for whatever reason. It sucks being on that side of the county who isnt getting adequate pain relief.

It's not a sustained release medication is it? So many are nowadays that we DS'ers really need to be sure about that. We need easily absorbed rapid release type...

honesty I think many of these Dr's have never had surgery themselves or a condition requiring some serious pain control.
There have only been TWO surgeries where I've had serious pain (as in over an 8 on the 0-10 scale). One was my first back surgery in 2006 and the second was my first jaw surgery in 2012. And the jaw surgery pushed all others into the dust. My surgeon for that KNEW it was gonna hurt. And he gave me a second round of pain meds. I actually didn't finish all of the second round but boy, I did the first. As for my first back surgery, since I was in the hospital for 5 days and then rehab for 3 weeks, keeping pain control was a bit easier than getting it at home.

When I had the jaw surgeries to remove the hardware, I was living in NC and went back to TN for the surgeries. Had to fill the pain prescriptions while in TN since NC would not recognize my surgeon in TN.

My PCP tho commonly prescribes across state lines but since it is in his typical area and he has hospital privileges in our little local NC hospital but then he doesn't normally prescribes the heavy duty pain meds.

I remember when I first moved to TN...since I was on several pain meds, all the PCP's told me to see a pain management doc for those.

Latest posts

Back