Open Enrollment - Vitamins Covered Under Flex Spending Benefits

OK...I do not post much, although I read everyday! All of you are so smart/helpful & seem to give back in someway...either through your kind words or detailed experiences/research articles, I was trying to think of what I could contribute....hmmm??

Where I work, like most other companies, we are having our open enrollment for medical & other benefits in 2016. I have always been curious about whether my vitamins would be a covered expense under the flex spending account that is offered by my company. I called Allegiance yesterday, who is the admininster of the flex spending account for my company, and it would be a covered expense!! All I would need to do is get a note from my surgeon or PCP indicating my vitamins are medically necesary. I can then use my debit card associated with my flex spending account or save the receipts from my vitamin purchases & file a claim to get reimbursed! It will be like saving 33% on a $900 annual expense...which is about $300 bucks!!

Just thought I would post something just in case others are in the same situation & might want to check with their HR/Flex administrator to see if yours would be covered so you can sign up & save $$ too!

FYI - For those who do not know how this works...a flex spending account is a pre-tax contribution you sign up for during open enrollment where you can contribute up to $2,550 to cover out of pocket medical/dental/vision costs....ie co-pays, prescriptions, etc... The amount you contribute comes out of your paycheck weekly/bi-monthly..however you are paid BEFORE TAXES and it comes out in equal installments over the course of the year. You can then file claims or use a debit card provided against this accumulated money to cover costs you incur...like when you go to an urgent care or co-pays at a pediatrician's office...all dependents (kids/spouse) expenses can be applied as well. Because the money comes out pre-tax you 'save' because you will have less adjusted gross income to be taxed on. There is an example in my Benefits booklet & the savings could add up to 10-39.6% (depending on your tax bracket) off of the cost of the expenses incurred. OTC medicines & vitamins are not normally covered BUT if you get a note from your surgeon/PCP that indicates that these are medically necessary....which they ARE!...then they would be covered!!

Just my 2 cents (pun intended!)

Flex spending accounts are great BUT not everyone can have one. Those of us on Medicare can't do a flex account (even self funded).

With my flex spending account I can buy vitamins if the doctor writes a prescription regardless where I purchase them from. Walgreend, vita lady, or wherever. You have to send the copy of the script

You should also know that the Flex Spending Account is funded by your employer IN FULL on the first day of the year. You reimburse the employer over the course of the year in fractional amounts from each paycheck, but the money is there for you to spend on day 1. Which means, if you have an FSA and leave your employer during the year, make SURE you use up your entire FSA before you leave. (I've done that twice - the first time the job ended on April 4th, the second time it ended on January 27th - my poor husband had dental surgery he wasn't mentally ready for the first time, and the second time had Lasik - I'm not allowed to force him to use it up if it happens again :) ).

@DianaCox I love that too. My cousins did that when they used to allow us to do 5000. Guess to many people did it because they changed it to 2500

We never have much left in the account. I use it for paying for appointments and for my labs.

Back when we were able to have one, we used it for glasses (2 adults, 2 teens, yearly gets damned expensive). Even at the highest we were allowed back then, we still never had any left over after that and copays. (esp my insulin pump supplies and one daughter's insulin pump supplies...she is a type 1).

Yes...and no, on vitamins being covered.

Here's the skinny...we can include vitamins to TREAT a diagnosed medical condition...such as "malabsorption."

We cannot include them as a medical expense to PREVENT a condition...such as "malnutrition."

Per instructions from our former plan administrator, we had the doctor rewrite the Rx, to word it properly.

Latest posts

Back