OK, this IS a rant.

DianaCox

Bad Cop
PLEASE DO NOT COPY OR REPEAT ANY OF THIS POST - this is just for HERE.

As I mentioned on the thread about Dr. Gagner's conference and trying to get anecdotal evidence, I have been participating in a long thread on LinkedIn, on an ASMBS group which is mostly but by no means exclusively comprised of surgeons. Tammy Simmon is in the group, for example, as is Alex Brecher (Tammy is a DSer who offers her "services" in helping people get insurance approval - her LinkedIn job title is "Medical Assistant and Owner at Center for Bariatric Advocacy and Support" - the latter being her company; Alex is the owner of BariatricPal.com).

This discussion started with a question about whether a patient with a BMI of 68 who was given a sleeve, got down to a BMI of 38 and got stuck and started to regain, should be reoperated, and if so, with which procedure. Gagner and I got involved in the discussion (noted with approval by several others), in particular in rebuttal of the false assertions that the DS is too dangerous, and the thread took off.

Also in particular, I offered my opinion about poor advice given by surgeons about nutritional needs of their patients as being a primary cause of poor outcomes with the DS (and other surgeries as well). Apparently, Gagner and I pissed off Dr. Jesus Arturo Armento Jasso of Neuvo Laredo MX - he has been fiercely and not very nicely rebutting what we have said.

This morning, I found THIS in my email, via a PM from Armento Jasso (funny - his LinkedIn profile is limited to his first name, but includes where he works - it took about 2 seconds to figure out his last name). Since he addressed me as Diana in this piece of shit PM, my response is directed to Jesus:

On 02/01/15 9:47 AM, Jesús Arturo A. wrote:
--------------------
Hi Diana . It´s curious that somebody that never has been in a OR , or has been face to face wit a complicared patient could have the courage to read two or three medical articles and give an opinion.
It´s shameful that you gave a recommendation of how to face a medical problem to a surgeon that has 20 years doing what is the best for his patients.
The problems with patents are PAPER problems and are not a matter of life or death.
I prefer to have a mistake by conviction and not by fashion or imitation.
Dr Gagner is one of the geatest surgeons of this time, but in a meeting debates is not the only that has the truth in his hands.There are a lot of surgeons in the world that differs with him.
The miinformation in people like you is what kill patients not our work. I have more than 200 hundred bariatric surgeries with no one death.​

To which I responded

I beg your pardon Jesus - in case you have not read what I wrote carefully, I have a PhD in medical biochemistry and molecular biology from UCLA Medical School; I have been researching, reading and compiling a library of scientific literature in the bariatric field for my own knowledge and for my pro bono work helping patients overcome inappropriate and self-serving insurance denials of the DS for 10 years, which pro bono work I do in conjunction with a retired surgeon (our appeal success rate is about 95%, and we have forced changes in medical policies for insurance companies operating in California, as well as helped to change Medicare coverage for the DS); and I am well-trained, well-read and comprehend bleeding edge scientific literature as well or better than most surgeons, due to my daily work in the biotech patent field. I don't rely on courage or lack of ethics, as you suggest, to speak out - I rely on my knowledge and scientific training, and I am hardly the dilettante you suggest.​

I think it is shameful for bariatric surgeons to ignore the real-life experiences of hundreds of patients, many with medical and scientific training, when they say the advice being given by their surgeons, most of whom don't have specific nutritional training (because there is hardly any clinical-trials based evidence) in the long-term effects of bariatric surgery, much less what the patients are experiencing, IS NOT working, but the advice they are getting from people successfully living and thriving with the surgeries (documented by lab results) who are telling them differently, IS working. I am on bariatric message boards every single day, reading about and talking with hundreds if not thousands of patients, so I am not just talking about my OWN experience. And I have been "face-to-face" (online and in real life) with plenty of patients with complications struggling to overcome issues that their own surgeons don't know often can be fixed with simple things like a round of metronidazole followed by high quality probiotics including S. boulardii; avoiding foods with retrograded starch and sugar alcohols; getting iron infusions, taking higher quality supplements, or testing for and adding copper if deficient (many if not most surgeons don't test for copper and ceruloplasmin). These are very REAL pieces of empirical evidence, as real or more than the brief face-to-face encounters with your few patients in your office.

I am not suggesting that we veteran patients know everything, but I AM suggesting that our experience is that the surgeons often give out ignorant and dangerous advice, while we patients are by necessity developing a wealth of anecdotal experience and expertise that at the very least should be considered, and optimally, should be tested by proper clinical trials. This is particularly shameful when we have patients who get into trouble and are ignored, blamed for non-compliance (with the incorrect advice they have received), get even sicker, and when they in desperation follow the advice of other patients who have gone before them (and we urge them to get their doctors to accept the challenge, and to prescribe as necessary), they almost always get well. Please take a look at this story - just the most recent example of which I am aware: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/razbrys-journey-a-cautionary-tale.2446/

My understanding is that the purpose of Dr. Gagner's conference (http://www.ifso.com/ifso-endorsed-meetings/), based on what he told me (and I assume it is OK for me to share this with you):

"It is principally for surgeons, the agenda will include one day of live surgery (very technical) and a second day of presentations about results, outcomes, management of complications, including nutritional. This will be a small conference, about 250 participants, and we do not have a lot of industry support at the moment. It will be a consensus conference, meaning that the top surgeons in the World are invited to vote and publish a consensus statement later. There is an increasing interest Worldwide, and from younger surgeons, to learn from this operation. We want to send the proper and right messages about the DS, and get rid of unscientific statements circulating."

I don't fully understand what you intended by your seemingly negative comment about him, perhaps due to your limitations in English (fair enough - I can order cerveza in Spanish, but that's about it), but what I think I did understand is that you think other surgeons' opinions (including the majority who do not perform the DS) make his opinion in some way per se questionable. Your finger-wagging should be done in front of a mirror.

As for your comment at the end of your email, in my experience, surgeons who have not one death are often cherry-picking their patients, and therefore not helping the ones in most need. And with all due respect, assuming only 200 lower risk (and lower efficacy, long run) surgeries on low risk patients, this number is not statistically impressive to me. How many of your patients are 10 years out and still healthy, successful (>50% EWL), free of comorbidities and report excellent quality of life? Those are numbers that impress me. I daresay the numbers for DSers, and in particular those who have received adequate nutritional advice, are superior to the numbers for other, less effective surgeries.

And while I think it is important to pre-operatively weed out patients who are not capable of being compliant with the minimal requirements of properly managing a DS (I would not be averse to both psych AND IQ tests), I am certain that the vast majority of problems that DSers experience are due to their surgeons' and treating physicians' lack of knowledge about long-term DS nutritional requirements, not lack of patient compliance or intractable defects in the surgery itself (aside from optimization of surgical parameters based on the patient's needs, but that's a different issue). I firmly believe that properly formulated clinical trials to test the results of the patients' empirical evidence of what DOES work would show this, and concomitantly provide even better evidence of the superiority and safety of the DS.

Moreover, I submit that misinformation in the form of denigrating a superior surgery because the surgeon doesn't understand it, can't perform it competently, and/or by failure to even disclose it at all (and thus not providing the patient with the opportunity to give fully informed consent), is also unethical and constitutes malpractice. In response to your outrageous assertion that "The miinformation in people like you is what kill patients," I challenge you to provide evidence of one single incident where information from "people like me" - by which I assume you mean intelligent, informed patients who disagree with inadequate nutritional advice from a surgeon - has killed anyone.

I respect your opinion, and have tried to keep my comments professional, but note that your comments come across as hyperbolic, arrogant, dismissive and baiting. I urge you to LISTEN to well-informed patients and DS surgeons with an open mind and with a mental filter that does not automatically exclude information that is inconsistent with what you think you know. And if you don't like what I'm saying, please consider ignoring me, rather than resorting to ad hominem attacks on my knowledge and ethics.​

I hope that sits his ass down.

Last edited:
Ok, so while I agree with you, and am often frustrated by the fact that we're all given this wrong advice that we then have 3 choices:
1- to either follow the bad nutritional advice and suffer (if we're the type of people that don't do independent research and trust the surgeons to be the experts, and I was one of those people until our DS goddess-ninja Larra lured me to a place of knowledge!), or...
2- follow the advice of successful long-term patients and then get berated for non-compliance by the Drs and NUTS, or...
3- follow the vets' advice and then "smile and nod" with the surgeons and NUTS, giving them the very wrong impression that our great weight loss, non-bricked up butts and good lab results are all because of their "AWESOME" advice, making them even more firmly believe in it.
So, while you've been around much longer than I have, and have much more involvement because of the work you do, so I believe that you have lots more frustration about it than I do, I've always been of the opinion that you can have all the merit in the world, but unless presented in a way as to not come across as harsh, people very often will write you off without listening to your words (and I say "you" as in general, not YOU specifically).
I think it's an unfortunate part of human nature to write someone off if they make you defensive, and if you REALLY want to get heard by these surgeons, both online and in person at the upcoming conference (a HUGE opportunity to begin to change things for real), I think you're going to have find a way to coat your message in some sugar.

nice, Diana - he's going to need some ointment on that burn! :thumbsup:

(and if he is anywhere near as smart as he thinks he is he can learn something)

I think you're going to have find a way to coat your message in some sugar.
good cop, I guess - first that guy needs to learn some respect

His response - and my response to him:

Diana, I respect all the professioal opinions. I would like to know you personally and give you my respects,​
Maybe I felt offended because I really study every case, every patient and I follow each patient during one year with no cost for them.
Every year I take two or three seminars, meetings or summits of baritric and endoscopic surgery and in none of them the conclusion has been that the DS is the best or first option. If it would be, why is the most offered surgery surgery only in Quebec_?
Thank you for your coments.
With respect and best wishes.

My reply (which I sugar coated as suggested by Lauren):

OK, I now turn to your reply - keeping in mind and appreciating the more civil turn invited by your response:

Yes, you follow the patients for a year - but do you follow them for 5 years? 10 years? For RNY patients (I don't know if this is the predominant surgery you do - is it?), frequently the complications of reactive hypoglycemia and return of diabetes previously "in remission" occurs. (And we know the VSG long term (after 5-7 years) results are increasingly less than stellar. I won't even TOUCH the lapband disasters.)

Surg Endosc. 2014 Jan;28(1):91-9. doi: 10.1007/s00464-013-3176-0. Epub 2013 Sep 10.
Response to glucose tolerance testing and solid high carbohydrate challenge: comparison between Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, vertical sleeve gastrectomy, and duodenal switch.
Roslin MS1, Dudiy Y, Brownlee A, Weiskopf J, Shah P.

CONCLUSIONS:
Compared to gastric bypass, DS results in greater weight loss and improves insulin sensitivity and glucose homeostasis without causing a hyperinsulinemic response. Because the response to challenge after VSG is intermediary, pyloric preservation alone cannot account for this difference.

http://bariatrictimes.epubxp.com/i/44989/4
http://www.generalsurgerynews.com/V...+News&d_id=69&i=July+2011&i_id=746&a_id=17497

I posted explanations of reasons why the DS has not become popular - without wishing to sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist, I think Dr. Buchwald's comments are pertinent (I wrote them in the thread on LinkedIn, but it hasn't posted yet):

Obes Surg. 2013 Apr;23(4):427-36. doi: 10.1007/s11695-012-0864-0.
Metabolic/bariatric surgery worldwide 2011.
Buchwald H1, Oien DM.

"A reason rarely discussed in the choice of operations is the skill of the surgeon. The numbers of BPD/DS remain extremely low (<3 %) worldwide, even though this procedure has the best statistics for excess weight loss, lasting effect, and reversal of comorbidities [5]. BPD/DS procedures are difficult to perform, possibly causing less experienced bariatric surgeons to avoid offering this operation to their patients. Further, BPD/DS are time-consuming, and, in a climate of emphasis on speed, performing these procedures decreases the number of operations a surgeon can complete in a day and, thereby, the income the surgeon can derive."

In my opinion, there are the following additional factors:

1) PRIMARILY, the nutritional issues CAUSED by poor nutritional advice by (mostly) otherwise competent DS surgeons - this is what I am being my drum about, and which I think requires clinical trials to validate what we patients are reporting - if the surgeons will LISTEN to our empirical experience and expertise.

2) Some incompetent or worse surgeons taking excessive and unapproved liberties to vary the surgery (there have been deaths and lawsuits attributed to at least two surgeons giving the patients DOCUMENTED 20 cm (!!!) common channels (I've seen the malpractice filings in at least two cases)).

3) The ASMBS pandering to non-DS surgeons and cooperating (think of Chamberlain's appeasement of Hitler, and Follow the Money) with insurance companies (who don't want to pay for the more expensive DS) to:

- confound the poor outcomes of the BPD with the DS - citing nutritional deficiencies with BPD and attributing them to the DS

- create insurance barriers (e.g., "Bariatric Centers of Excellence") which use an essentially arbitrary numbers-based approach to preventing coverage of surgery with surgeons or at facilities where they have privileges, who don't run "surgery mill" volume operations

- attempt as they did in late 2013 to issue guidelines on revision surgeries that essentially ENDED access to the DS as a revision surgery (fortunately, at least two brave DS surgeons stood up to the challenge, pushed back, and the ASMBS had to back off; they ended up issuing (http://asmbs.org/resources/systematic-review-on-reoperative) a very watered-down version, which didn't even MENTION (as the first draft did) that the insurance industry ASKED them to prepare the guidelines (do you remember getting an email notice from the ASMBS of the draft dated December 21, 2013, requiring a response by January 2, 2014? Yeah, that's the underhanded trick they tried to use to slip it past the membership) - see if you can find your email from 2013 and compare to the published guidance) (don't ask how I know about all of this, but I think you will see if you do your research that it's true - but someone was threatened with legal action for giving notice that if the time to respond to the proposed guidelines wasn't extended past January 2, 2014, the draft would be published on the bariatric patient message boards).

That's all I have space for, I think. But it should give you some idea that it is NOT because the DS could not and should not be performed FAR more often than it is - as is done in Quebec - that the DS has lagged behind. It may be part of the reason that the SADI (which lacks what I believe is the critical feature for long term results of SELECTIVE fat malabsorption) is being pushed as a "fix" for the problems of the DS. While I hope it eventually replaces the RNY, I don't think it will have as good of long term results, especially for people with starting BMI > 45.

Thank you for the opportunity to explain further - and I hope we can continue the conversation over time in this manner.​

nice, Diana - he's going to need some ointment on that burn! :thumbsup:

(and if he is anywhere near as smart as he thinks he is he can learn something)

good cop, I guess - first that guy needs to learn some respect
Don't get me wrong, I agree! And some people say I'm too nice, but I'm the one who is usually able to get my point across better than other people in my life who aren't as "nice" :p

OK then, you aren't going to like what came next.

While I was writing the "nice" reply above, Jesus was responding to the second part of my first response - LinkedIn requires that PMs be less than 7000 characters, so I had to split it up, and I didn't realize that the second part of my response to him (starting after the paragraph ending with the link to Razbry's post) had not been sent, until I received his "nice" reply. So I (re)sent the second half of my response, and apparently he responded to THAT while I was writing my "nice" reply. Here is that exchange, including my reply:

On 02/01/15 4:55 PM, Jesús Arturo Armenta wrote:
--------------------
Ok. Your interpretation is just that. I am arrogant? Ok.
I insist, have you ever been taking decisions about a patient that give you his/her confidence? If not, keep your comments about bariatric surgery until you have real patients because you don¨t know what is that.
PS. Ignore my commets if I am writing lies.​

And my reply:

My reference was to your arrogance in assuming I know nothing. I thought you had acknowledged your error in the prior email, but if you wish to walk back your apology, fine.

Again, your English is difficult to understand - I am not entirely sure what you mean by "have you ever been taking decisions about a patient that give you his/her confidence?" - it is garbled.

I'm going to guess what you mean is to ask whether I have ever PRESCRIBED treatment for a patient who asked me what to do to solve their intractable issues, which were not getting better under their surgeon's recommendations, to which the answer is "of course not" - I have neither prescription pad nor an OR in my basement. I have, however, recommended things for them to try, as well as to consider that what their surgeon is telling them is contradicted by years of DSer experience, including changing diet, asking their PCP for a prescription of metronidazole (I recommend AGAINST taking FishZole purchased OTC at pet stores, even if their PCP won't cooperate, although it is exactly the same thing - down to the markings on the tablets), and strongly suggesting that the DUMP their surgeon as a source of ongoing medical care when they are being poorly treated.

"If not, keep your comments about bariatric surgery until you have real patients because you don¨t know what is that." I give that arrogant remark all the consideration it is due, which is none.
I think we may be back to where we started, unless he waits to respond next until after he reads BOTH of my responses.

While I don't add much to the forum as some and I at times have thought some of the vets as to harsh and intolerant of some of us that don't have the education or what they feel to be common sense I still will continue to follow them. That being said I have also always appreciated all the time they take out of their lives to help others and the wisdom and smarts they do have. I am also smart enough to follow where I can learn the most and get the help I need when I need it. I also think they are trying very hard in recent months to try and tone it down somewhat. Which is probably very hard for them because they have to repeat themselves constantly.

Diana I love the fact that you are doing what you do so well. I think you slapped him just right myself after all he slapped first and very nastily and degrading I might add. I do hope though that it doesn't come back to bite you in the ass someway.

I admire your ability to stand your ground and educate him at the same time. Maybe some day, you can have a go at Dr. Simper.

You guys have only ever seen my "kinder and gentler side"...but that really pisses me off! What a pompous arrogant condescending prick! This jack-off isn’t even good enough to dump your bath water! Just one more reason why you need to write that bestselling book, to help you get the recognition you so deserve. You got him back though. That should teach that jerk to not come to a battle of wits un-armed!

Last edited:
well, I assume English isn't his first language...

Rob is right, you otter write a book. but you need to co-author it with someone more...what...less technical, I guess.

KWIM?

Latest posts

Back