Oh Good Grief - another scam that isn't going to work long-term or for most

DianaCox

Bad Cop
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/diet-fitness/fda-approves-new-appetite-pacemaker-device-n286166
FDA Approves New Appetite Pacemaker Device
BY MAGGIE FOX
Federal health officials approved a new obesity device Wednesday that controls appetite with electrical pulses.

It's the first new obesity device to be approved by the Food and Drug Administration in more than seven years. Yet doctors admit they aren't quite sure how it works.

The surgically implanted device, called Maestro, is designed to interrupt hunger signals from the brain to the stomach, and it's manually controlled.

"The Maestro Rechargeable System, the first FDA-approved obesity device since 2007, is approved to treat patients aged 18 and older who have not been able to lose weight with a weight loss program, and who have a body mass index of 35 to 45 with at least one other obesity-related condition, such as type 2 diabetes," the FDA said in a statement.

Don't look for it in stores - it's likely only going to be offered at specialized clinics with trained surgeons. And don't expect health insurance to pay for it any time soon, cautions NBC's Diet & Nutrition editor Madelyn Fernstrom.

"Insurance likely, as with every new apparatus or pill, is not going to cover this," Fernstrom says.

The device is implanted under the skin of the abdomen, with attachments placed just where the esophagus meets the stomach. It's designed to interfere with the abdominal branch of the vagus nerve, a central nerve that controls the heart and digestive tract.

The company that makes the device, EnteroMedics Inc., designed it to interfere with hunger signals using a technology called VBLOC.

"By blocking signals along the nerves that connect the brain and stomach, VBLOC reduces feelings of hunger and promotes earlier feelings of fullness, which can help people with obesity reduce the number of calories consumed and promote safe, healthy and durable weight loss," said Dr. Scott Shikora, chief consulting medical officer for EnteroMedics.

It should work in theory, says Fernstrom, but in fact it is not entirely clear if the device is interfering with hunger or acting in some other way.

"Although it is known that the electric stimulation blocks nerve activity between the brain and the stomach, the specific mechanisms for weight loss due to use of the device are unknown," the FDA said.

Oh brother... The all new lapband of 2015. Docs will love this. Plenty expensive and probably takes less than an hour to do. And it's all your fault when it doesn't work.

@Spiky Bugger "ohhh this is just endless terror", I guess I have eaten some unusual food outside of the USA, but balut, no, it is not entering. My coworker took me to chinatown, he is from Laos, and ordered balut for us, no way-no way. It is interesting watching someone eat a plate of chicken feet, could the nails at least be removed? A coworker brings in chicken feet at least 2xs a week- no wonder she is so thin, there is nothing on them. I can eat pig's feet but chicken feet-nothing on them.

Well, we're both married to men who need readers to see the small screen - and face it, gross is better on a big screen!

I love that shit! I wish we had smell-a-vision! I have never eaten any of these foods but, I would like to try, maybe!

I am cooking some of my staples right now so, my house smells great! I have bacon in the oven and a brisket braising on the cooktop, mmm. I will eat well this week.

I love that shit! I wish we had smell-a-vision! I have never eaten any of these foods but, I would like to try, maybe!

I am cooking some of my staples right now so, my house smells great! I have bacon in the oven and a brisket braising on the cooktop, mmm. I will eat well this week.

My oven has been setting of the smoke alarm. Time for a new stove!!

My smoke alarm IS my kitchen timer - when it goes off, the meal is ready to be served! (My family laughs at me because I tend to cook at a higher temp than the recipe calls for, because I am impatient ... and because I actually like slightly scorched and thus crispy food.)

There was a good article on Medpage about this new gizmo. Turns out that after 18 months, the gizmo group only lost a few more lbs than the control group. Both groups received intensive and frequent counseling, and both groups did lose weight. It is unclear whether the weight loss is due to the gizmo or due to the intensive counseling and follow-up provided - which is generally not covered by insurance companies.
My money is on the level of attention these people received. Gadgets are not the answer. Hunger is only one factor of many in the obesity picture. The people who will benefit from this gizmo, if any, and the ones that need the least help.

Latest posts

Back