officially old enough for Senior Housing!

JackieOnLine

Staff member
I thought about putting this in R&R but...well, let's look on the bright side: I'm still alive and all that! guess I'd rather be a healthy 54 1/2 year old than a sick younger person, right?

so, looking for a cheaper place to live (currently in a 3 bedroom house I don't need) and one ad led me to a "55 and over" mobile home park. I won't be 55 until September but they said that would be OK. they take dogs.

I can't see the place that will be for rent yet, but I'm going over to look at the park itself today.

but it's hard to wrap my head around it! :cautious:

so, looking for a cheaper place to live (currently in a 3 bedroom house I don't need) and one ad led me to a "55 and over" mobile home park. I won't be 55 until September but they said that would be OK. they take dogs.
Make sure about any breed banning or if they have a limit. Some places do limit how many. Others will ban certain breeds.

I hope that housing option works out. Getting old enough for discounts and other benefits helps soften the reality of getting old.

Charles and I visited my daughter's boyfriend's parents in Pebble Creek retirement community in Goodyear AZ last September on our southwest RV trip. We were warned in advance that they were going to give us the bum's rush of trying to convince us we wanted to settle there, so the kids would have more motivation to come and visit them/us more often. The whole idea of a community of other old people we don't know sounded perfectly awful.

We were really surprised. It was VERY nice. I don't like all the rules (no RVs parked on your property for starters, no overnight parking on the street, and having a golf course on the property which I have no interest in paying for maintaining in the desert is not a plus either), but - it was really nice, very friendly and lots of non-golf amenities to enjoy.

I would love to find a good intentional community to move in with.. Being child-free (dislike that term, but better than childless or non-breeder..) I do get concerned with social outlets as Todd & I age. We have a nice friend-circle of other people that never had kids, but still. I would love to settle in with others that had similar interests and at the same time would butt-out enough for my introvert nature to appreciate. Until then, we seem to be cultivating friendships with couples 10yrs younger than us to those 8-10yrs older. Nice to be relevant I guess.

I have been looking for a FL vacation condo. LOTS of rules on 55+. Like only one dog under 15#. Many won't allow children to reside in the condo for more than 2 weeks a year.

I have been looking for a FL vacation condo. LOTS of rules on 55+. Like only one dog under 15#. Many won't allow children to reside in the condo for more than 2 weeks a year.
There ARE some advantages to having an RV as your home...like the limits on animals...nah!

Good for you! One thing to check would be the electric bills. Living in a metal box in the Nevada summer could be VERY expensive.

If there is any chance at all you could qualify for low income, check it out! I have a friend who lives in low income senior housing here and he does better than I do! And it's a beautiful safe place too. Here's where he lives. http://lasvegasliving.com/community/tempo

His rent, all bills PAID, is under $500. And he can leave the AC on 70 all summer long!

@Jo777 We are also child free by choice and it is hard to maintain friendships with our younger friends who now have little kids. We are 43 and they are in their early 30s with toddlers. We have some friends our age that are also child free but they are few and far between. It is just hard to find people to just go and hang out on short notice...

Living in a metal box in the Nevada summer could be VERY expensive.
very good point! I found that "park" to be so depressing I am not bothering to fill out the application.

the plan now is to look at ALL 55+ options in the area including Garnerville/Minden where I think I would really like to live and Reno, Sparks where maybe I wouldn't. I am now reading Room mate wanted ads - nicer places but nothing where you'd want a couple of yappy little dogs who might pee on the carpet.

I'm waiting on lab results but looks like one of them might have diabetes

Make sure about any breed banning or if they have a limit. Some places do limit how many. Others will ban certain breeds.

when they allow dogs it's usually no more than two (all I have now, actually) and often there is a size limit like under 50 pounds. so far I haven't personally run into a breed ban.

a LOT of the dogs I see in shelters (like, Sacramento) are pit pulls or mixes so that would be something to consider.

The mobile home park I live in is no longer 55+ but there are a lot of older people here. LOVE IT - it's quiet, nobody's racing their cars up and down the streets and we all do little things for each other. The only thing I dislike is that they limit pets to one and then it has to be small. My daughter had to move out because she has a little dog, and while they allowed it temporarily, they said she ultimately had to move because of the one dog rule... and my little Frankie is going nowhere :D Meanwhile, my next door neighbors have two, but since they were grandfathered in, it's ok for them but not for me. Boo!

Anyway, I love the mobile home life. I have a BIG double-wide in great shape that I got for a mere $30k... granted, I did end up putting on a roof but that still brings it to a $40k investment. Not bad. I need to replace the furnace with heat pump though - winter power bills KILL us (over $400 in December!!). I want to do the ductless types... that way I can just heat my room and my son's and not worry about the front of the house unless we're planning to spend time out there... AND we'll have cooling in the summer too. I'll be able to get rid of the window air conditioning units :)

Anyway... I digress! LOL

it's nice hearing someone say they like them - such a lot of bad ones out there it's worth remembering some are just fine. :D

It's kind of weird thinking that I actually qualify for senior housing too. Wasn't I 20-something just the other day? Whatever happened to the time?
I'm turning 60 this year. Scary thought! LOL

Latest posts

Back