Not sure what is normal for weight loss at this point. Any ideas on why it has stopped?

I think someone suggested physical therapy. Good idea.

It also may be a great plan for you to do what you can to increase your activity level. Doing more of whatever you can do! Google chair exercises. Keep some weights by the chair you use for TV and use them while you watch. Lots of leg exercises you can do in a chair too. Check it out and see what you think. Start very slow and increase over time.

My daughter wears hers on her belt like a phone. To my knowledge, she has never pulled it loose. And she has a 3 year old underfoot now who pulls at everything EXCEPT his mommie's pump.

I never caught mine either...part of it was it was always under my clothes. The ONLY time I wasn't wearing the pump was in the shower/pool or when changing the reservoir. The nice thing is even if my endo wasn't available for an emergency, the team at Animas ALWAYS had a nurse available who know about insulin pumps and could help.

I wore mine in a holder that hid around my bra pretty well. I used a white one, it velcroed at each end with a pouch that help the pump itself. I used an Animas pump and got the holder from them. Mine was called a Waist-It. Other companies have similar items. I actually wore it up right AT my bra line and tucked the pump in between. Only if you knew something was there, did you even notice it. Some people use the thigh. I wass never one to poke my thigh. So I used my stomach rotating sides. The ONLY time I used my thigh was the day I got my DS...and yes, I wore it into the OR! My surgeon knew it was there. I actually had three of the Waist-It's, cause like bras, they get sweaty and need washing.

Okay, pumps use only one insulin. The short acting. It is like a drip system...very small drips of short acting all the time with a bolus added for food depending on your carb count. When I first went on insulin, my basal was about 40 units basal a day broken into .025 units a min. My bolus (for food) was 1 unit for every 10 carbs. When I went into surgery and was NPO for many hours, my endo would have me drop the basal to .010 depending on how long I was without food.

Think of it this way...a normal functioning pancreas is always producing a very tiny amount of insulin for the body. The pump is the closest to that you can get without a pancreatic transplant.

Actually, as a type 2 I was VERY fortunate to be able to even get an insulin pump as they are typically reserved for type 1's by most insurance companies. The fact that while on MDI, I landed in the ER with a blood sugar of 26 is what got me mine. I was on my husband's company insurance as primary back then. Now I am on Medicare and would have had to give up my insulin pump as Medicare ONLY covers it for type 1's. Or find the $1000's of dollars for supplies.

It doesn't eliminate the need for corrections. But it does make them less likely. As to the humalog you bolus, you literally hit the buttons to deliver that AS you sit down to eat...and you CAN have it be delivered over 15-30 mins if you want it delivered that way.

Do you eat a bedtime snack of protein/fat/carbs? Obviously more protein/fat but need a small amount of carbs, like 5-10. Peanut butter with ONE cracker was always the option discussed on the diabetes lists when middle of the night lows were discussed. It seems to help the rise/fall of blood sugars.

After I had my DS, I remained on my insulin pump one more week. When I woke up in the middle of the night with blood sugars in the 50's, I knew it was time to come off my pump. I was chasing blood sugars the wrong way down the train track! So I unhooked it, took the battery out and put it away. I used shots with the humalog for another 10 days when my blood sugars got over 140. Last insulin was 11 Feb 2011. But I didn't give away my unused/sealed insulin and unused insulin pump supplies until a month later. Gave them to an endo so they could use them for their patients who needed help with supplies due to insurance issues. Btw, I still have my pump as a reminder of where I was.

Most days I don't have to eat a snack RIGHT before bedtime anymore, but have been eating a couple of pepperoni wrapped cheese sticks that they have at HEB that are my new favorite treat a couple of hours after dinner. Also, lowered the R taken at dinner. That seemed to do the trick and most mornings, have been running 76 to 93. Occasionally, have had a small handful of almonds, but, had to give these up as was eating too many of them and they were causing havoc with intestines. When experiencing lows, I go for smarties (again, Dr. Bernstein's suggestion) as they are very predictable and one roll will raise me by 18 without fail, so I can eat exactly the amount needed. They are made of the same easily absorbed sugar as the glucose tabs, but, cheaper. Also, I don't really like them so they are not tempting at all.

I occasionally use my thigh for shots, but, mainly have used the stomach, too. Though, have wondered at times if that was a mistake as it is without a doubt the biggest area of my body! After surgery, I got into the habit of giving shots in the arm as they did in the hospital. For some reason, they felt the need to give the insulin while there. Sugars and blood pressure were really high and kept me there a couple of extra days.

Probably would use the bra, too, as there is plenty of room up there with my B cups! lol!

The only thing that worries me about the pump is i just looked up whether it could be used with R for food and most said it doesn't work well with R because it crystallizes. It's funny, but,in looking this up, I found an even better explanation on the differences between R and Humalog and why some do better with R. It was better than the way my endo or even Dr. Bernstein explained it. Humalog always has worked great for me with correction doses, but, not with food because it would cause lows and then highs later because of the way my food digested. Am wondering if the way the pump works with Humalog would make a difference, though, as you didn't have any issues with lows once you went to the pump.

Definitely will talk to endo and get her opinion. It must have been wonderful to be done with all that and off insulin for good! Congratulations!

My daughter wears hers on her belt like a phone. To my knowledge, she has never pulled it loose. And she has a 3 year old underfoot now who pulls at everything EXCEPT his mommie's pump.

I never caught mine either...part of it was it was always under my clothes. The ONLY time I wasn't wearing the pump was in the shower/pool or when changing the reservoir. The nice thing is even if my endo wasn't available for an emergency, the team at Animas ALWAYS had a nurse available who know about insulin pumps and could help.

I wore mine in a holder that hid around my bra pretty well. I used a white one, it velcroed at each end with a pouch that help the pump itself. I used an Animas pump and got the holder from them. Mine was called a Waist-It. Other companies have similar items. I actually wore it up right AT my bra line and tucked the pump in between. Only if you knew something was there, did you even notice it. Some people use the thigh. I wass never one to poke my thigh. So I used my stomach rotating sides. The ONLY time I used my thigh was the day I got my DS...and yes, I wore it into the OR! My surgeon knew it was there. I actually had three of the Waist-It's, cause like bras, they get sweaty and need washing.

Okay, pumps use only one insulin. The short acting. It is like a drip system...very small drips of short acting all the time with a bolus added for food depending on your carb count. When I first went on insulin, my basal was about 40 units basal a day broken into .025 units a min. My bolus (for food) was 1 unit for every 10 carbs. When I went into surgery and was NPO for many hours, my endo would have me drop the basal to .010 depending on how long I was without food.

Think of it this way...a normal functioning pancreas is always producing a very tiny amount of insulin for the body. The pump is the closest to that you can get without a pancreatic transplant.

Actually, as a type 2 I was VERY fortunate to be able to even get an insulin pump as they are typically reserved for type 1's by most insurance companies. The fact that while on MDI, I landed in the ER with a blood sugar of 26 is what got me mine. I was on my husband's company insurance as primary back then. Now I am on Medicare and would have had to give up my insulin pump as Medicare ONLY covers it for type 1's. Or find the $1000's of dollars for supplies.

It doesn't eliminate the need for corrections. But it does make them less likely. As to the humalog you bolus, you literally hit the buttons to deliver that AS you sit down to eat...and you CAN have it be delivered over 15-30 mins if you want it delivered that way.

Do you eat a bedtime snack of protein/fat/carbs? Obviously more protein/fat but need a small amount of carbs, like 5-10. Peanut butter with ONE cracker was always the option discussed on the diabetes lists when middle of the night lows were discussed. It seems to help the rise/fall of blood sugars.

After I had my DS, I remained on my insulin pump one more week. When I woke up in the middle of the night with blood sugars in the 50's, I knew it was time to come off my pump. I was chasing blood sugars the wrong way down the train track! So I unhooked it, took the battery out and put it away. I used shots with the humalog for another 10 days when my blood sugars got over 140. Last insulin was 11 Feb 2011. But I didn't give away my unused/sealed insulin and unused insulin pump supplies until a month later. Gave them to an endo so they could use them for their patients who needed help with supplies due to insurance issues. Btw, I still have my pump as a reminder of where I was.

Most days I don't have to eat a snack RIGHT before bedtime anymore, but have been eating a couple of pepperoni wrapped cheese sticks that they have at HEB that are my new favorite treat a couple of hours after dinner. Also, lowered the R taken at dinner. That seemed to do the trick and most mornings, have been running 76 to 93. Occasionally, have had a small handful of almonds, but, had to give these up as was eating too many of them and they were causing havoc with intestines. When experiencing lows, I go for smarties (again, Dr. Bernstein's suggestion) as they are very predictable and one roll will raise me by 18 without fail, so I can eat exactly the amount needed. They are made of the same easily absorbed sugar as the glucose tabs, but, cheaper. Also, I don't really like them so they are not tempting at all.

I occasionally use my thigh for shots, but, mainly have used the stomach, too. Though, have wondered at times if that was a mistake as it is without a doubt the biggest area of my body! After surgery, I got into the habit of giving shots in the arm as they did in the hospital. For some reason, they felt the need to give the insulin while there. Sugars and blood pressure were really high and kept me there a couple of extra days.

Probably would use the bra, too, as there is plenty of room up there with my B cups! lol!

The only thing that worries me about the pump is i just looked up whether it could be used with R for food and most said it doesn't work well with R because it crystallizes. It's funny, but,in looking this up, I found an even better explanation on the differences between R and Humalog and why some do better with R. It was better than the way my endo or even Dr. Bernstein explained it. Humalog always has worked great for me with correction doses, but, not with food because it would cause lows and then highs later because of the way my food digested. Am wondering if the way the pump works with Humalog would make a difference, though, as you didn't have any issues with lows once you went to the pump.

Definitely will talk to endo and get her opinion. It must have been wonderful to be done with all that and off insulin for good! Congratulations!

I think someone suggested physical therapy. Good idea.

It also may be a great plan for you to do what you can to increase your activity level. Doing more of whatever you can do! Google chair exercises. Keep some weights by the chair you use for TV and use them while you watch. Lots of leg exercises you can do in a chair too. Check it out and see what you think. Start very slow and increase over time.

I have started doing some body weight exercises, like wall push ups and squats.I walk a lot during work day, but, not at a good enough pace to be considered exercise. Need to start walking after work before getting comfy.

If you have Amazon Prime, there are some great chair exercise videos on there for free. My mother has been doing those in preparation for her sleeve.

Thanks, I wonder if they have any modified body weight exercises? Will have to google some and see if there are any for larger people.

Latest posts

Back