News for Indiana/Ohio DS patients

GirlFriday

Enjoying the journey
Yesterday, I accompanied two friends to a new patient seminar at the St. Vincent Bariatric Center in Carmel, IN. This is the same place where I had my surgery, and my surgeon led the seminar. Before the seminar began, the nurse practioner mentioned that two of the surgeons (non-DS) were leaving St. Vincents to go to other parts of the country and that St. Vincents was going to get a new surgeon that would perform the DS, giving them a total of three surgeons there that do DS surgery.

When Dr. Inman was speaking to us, she told us that two surgeons were leaving the Bariatric Center and a surgeon from Ohio would be joining them in July. Without mentioning a surgeon's name, she did say that this move would leave Ohio without a surgeon that performs the DS. I was unable to get to speak to her one on one to ask the surgeon's name (there were 40 people in attendance - she was busy and I wasn't waiting an hour to meet with her just to get a name).

I thought this was interesting news and wanted to share it.

The only KNOWN DS surgeon in Ohio is Dr. Teel who partnered with Dr. Macguire who retired. And to my knowledge, Dr. Teel doesn't LIKE the DS.

I know this because when I was hunting for a DS surgeon (after Dr. Williams in Boyce's office told me I was too small for a DS) in late 2010, I considered that office as an alternative. It really wasn't that far from me.

Like I said, she didn't mention a name, she just said that the move would leave OH without a DS surgeon. She did say that with the addition of the new surgeon, the wait time for DS patients would be going down considerably.

If it is Dr. Teel...he had a fantastic mentor in Dr. Macquire. And yeah, with the SMALL list of DS surgeons, many states don't have even one.

I would be sad if it is Dr. Teel, as he was my surgeon (9.2014) and he was excellent at the cutting bit... but then I am nearly 10 months out and would survive by having my primary Dr. run all my labs anyway. lol

Latest posts

Back