Newbie (11 days out from DS) questions

newwomanin2015

Hello, All,

I have not been on for a while because have been busy working and jumping through insurance hoops for the last 6 months. I had DS last Wednesday on my 50th birthday, and, overall, it is going well. I have a lot of weight to lose and since have already been used to eating low carb before the surgery, am hitting it hard to get as much off as possible while the getting is good. Also, have been walking 3 to 4 times a day (more like shambling the first few days!).

I have two concerns.The first is that I hate the protein shakes, but, it is very difficult to get all the protein in without resorting to them. While they are convenient, they taste too sweet to me. I also have been supplementing with unflavored stuff in soups, as well, which I like better. How long does it take usually to get enough protein without having to supplement?

The other question I have is, how do you know whether you are just a fast healer, or, if your stomach was not restricted enough? Other than eating scrambled eggs, which were back up an hour later (ate too big of bites and too fast), I am able to eat more than doctor said I would at this point. Don't get me wrong, I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth, and feel very badly for those who are still having so much trouble months out. It's just am not sure if this is bad news down the line. Though, am back to work soon, so, good healing is good news for that!

For instance, at lunch, was able to eat a whole can of tuna mixed with mayo. Also, comfortably have eaten a full bowl of soup when he said the most I would be able to eat would be a half bowl. According to doctor, I only should be able to eat two to three ozs, of food or 5 to 6 small bites at this point. I ate slowly, and did not force it or eat past comfort, but, was able to eat it all. My husband said not to worry since I have lost 15 pounds. However, I have been obese since 3, have lost and regained anywhere from 90 to 131 pounds many times in my life before gaining it all back plus some to reach pre-op weight of 430.

Is this a good thing, a bad thing, or, does it not matter because of the mal-absorptive component? I am not feeling too hungry, so could eat less, but, then, have to worry about getting enough protein.

Thanks for any and all advice! Also, have been reading a lot of great info here, so, thanks for that, as well!

Don't sweat the protein at this point. Your body has stores to get you through the first few rough weeks. The usual mantra around here is 30 gm at 30 days, 60 gm at 60 days, and 90 grams at 90 days. No scientific proof for this but it seems to work, and it just isn't realistic to expect your small sleeve and newly rerouted intestines to handle too much too soon.
I didn't use any protein shakes or supplements early out and did ok. when I did start using them, I just had one Adkins shake for breakfast. It was the only one I could stand, even after months post-op. The chocolate flavor is the best IMHO, served very cold. They only have 15 gm of protein, which just goes to show that at least some people don't need to use protein shakes much, if at all.

I don't know what to say about your very cooperative sleeve as I had the opposite experience.

I have two concerns.The first is that I hate the protein shakes, but, it is very difficult to get all the protein in without resorting to them. While they are convenient, they taste too sweet to me. I also have been supplementing with unflavored stuff in soups, as well, which I like better. How long does it take usually to get enough protein without having to supplement?

The other question I have is, how do you know whether you are just a fast healer, or, if your stomach was not restricted enough? Other than eating scrambled eggs, which were back up an hour later (ate too big of bites and too fast), I am able to eat more than doctor said I would at this point. Don't get me wrong, I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth, and feel very badly for those who are still having so much trouble months out. It's just am not sure if this is bad news down the line. Though, am back to work soon, so, good healing is good news for that!
Second question first...the nerves in your sleeve were CUT...you do not have a good feel for what is full or not YET. So if necessary, eat more often, but only eat a bite or two...then put the fork/spoon down and wait for about 5 - 10 mins...

As to protein shakes...each person is different. I still have to supplement with a shake many days due to the VERY tiny sleeve I was given.

Get your operative report...that will tell you how small/big your sleeve was made. Some surgeons are making the sleeve bigger now.

Thanks, Larra! Yes, I am sorry about your experience as am not trying to rub it in or anything. Other than some bad neck/head pain when waking up that the ER doc said was probably due to my head position on the table, there has been little pain or problems, just a little tired and weak still. Think I have a distrust of this body in general, and a fear of it adapting to the changes and figuring out a way to gain anyway. I joked with Dr. Ayoola that he needed to REALLY mal-adapt my intestines to make sure it worked!

I agree with you on the shakes and much preferred the unflavored in soups, if it is necessary. Plus, don't like to use the artificial sweeteners any more than regular sugar.

Thanks for your reply.

Second question first...the nerves in your sleeve were CUT...you do not have a good feel for what is full or not YET. So if necessary, eat more often, but only eat a bite or two...then put the fork/spoon down and wait for about 5 - 10 mins...

As to protein shakes...each person is different. I still have to supplement with a shake many days due to the VERY tiny sleeve I was given.

Get your operative report...that will tell you how small/big your sleeve was made. Some surgeons are making the sleeve bigger now.

I never thought of the nerves being cut affecting sensation, thank you. Basically, have been eating very slowly between bites, though, not as slowly as you suggested. When starting to eat or drink too fast, I feel pressure (especially in the chest), so was using that to determine fullness since there really isn't anything else that tells me.

That is good info about the operative report, didn't know there was something I could get with all that info!

Thank you!

I am almost seven weeks out from surgery. I still have trouble with the protein shakes. The packets that you mix yourself smell so bad that I can't bring them up to my lips to take a drink so I switched to ready to drink. I can stand the Premier Protein (4 pack at walmart for about $6 in Indiana). That is about the only advice that I can give you on the protein - I have a hard time with it, too.

@newwomanin2015 don't feel bad for me! I never doubted that things would get better and to this day have never had a moment of regret about having the DS. It's all just part of the process.

There is also a product at Trader Joe's called Pure Protein, which is another protein drink. It has 35 gm of protein, but you have to read the label carefully because there is another variety, same size and appearance, with just 15 (I think) gram protein right next to it on the shelf. It's another liquid product. I mix in just a little milk, like less than 1/4 cup, and it really improves the flavor. I've only tried the chocolate. I have heard it's also available on Amazon though I haven't looked into that. Honest, it's not bad!

Just stay hydrated. Don't worry about protein. Eat a bite here or there. Try some egg drop soup. No one gets all their protein right out of the gate.

Latest posts

Back