New to the Forum!

lavie12

Lover of Prince
Hey everyone! Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I previously had RNY in 2006 and reached my goal of 24 BMI. Unfortunately over the years, I have struggled and have regained almost all of my weight back. I am now again morbidly obese (BMI of 38) and my co-morbidities of high cholesterol and high blood pressure have returned. I am also pre-diabetic. I am now seeking revision to DS possibly with Dr. Roslin. I've already read a lot on these forums and there's a wealth of info here. Hope I can participate and gain more knowledge in this new journey of mine. Talk soon.

Last edited:
Welcome! Just be sure to discuss with Dr. Roslin exactly what he plans to do. He is getting publicity lately for doing the SADI (he calls it SIPS) instead of the DS, esp on revisions. If that's what you want, fine, but it's something to discuss and communicate with him pre-op. there are already several good threads about this newer operation on this website that you could read.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. After speaking with the coordinator at Dr. Roslin's office and also after my consult with Dr. Elariny, I will have to postpone my pursuit for a revision due to my insurance requirement that I be morbidly obese for at least 2 years and that's just not the case for me at this point. I moved into the morbidly obese category last year so I'll go forward next year with the process. I wish insurance requirements were as easy for me now as they were back in 2006. It was a long but very smooth process. Oh well, In the meantime, I look forward to gaining some more knowledge from this board.

@Larra Yes I have seen some buzz about that with him. I didn't really look into it because I want a true DS. I have not met him yet but intend to next year. I have already had a consult with Dr. Elariny though and my main issue is that he is out of network for my insurance and that would cost me around $8500 or more. Not only that but he steered me away from a true DS and suggested to just do the BPD without the DS. I didn't have a lot of information at that point on what that meant so I basically just got his quote for that. It might be more for him to do the actual DS. can't afford that.

Elariny "steered you" towards a BPD? Maybe he doesn't do RNY to DS revision? I don't think he is known for doing them. I would not in a MILLION YEARS accept a BPD.

I haven't heard of Dr. Elariny doing RNY to DS revisions either. There aren't many surgeons who do them. Regardless, the BPD is an outdated operation that is rarely done in the USA anymore, and with good reason. The main reason the modern day DS (aka BPD-DS) replaced the BPD is that the BPD caused a lot of problems with both diarrhea and nutritional deficiencies. The DS avoids most of these issues, though of course we need to take our vitamins and minerals and follow labs carefully.
I can't think of any medical situation where the BPD would be better than the DS, or where the BPD would be feasible but the DS wouldn't be. I suppose such a situation might exist, but I can't think what it might be. With Dr. Roslin, you will (as you clearly already know) need to discuss the options of DS vs SIPS but I can't imagine him suggesting a BPD.

Yeah I found it very strange what he was suggesting. I went to him because he is local to me and I see him as one of the surgeons who could do revisions and he is listed in my insurance network but apparently for revisions, he is out of network. This is why I began investigating Roslin. I also got info from Rabkin's office. Maybe Elariny knew I wasn't coming back. He did have me waiting for over 3 hours to meet with him for a half hour. On his pricing sheet he circled jejunectomy as what he would be performing. I have never heard of that before, but he said this was the BPD. I also asked him if BPD was the same as distal RNY and he said "yeah". I don't know if that's true or not, but yeah, no go with him. Eeek.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back