New insurance, not covered?

@Sheanie, you are mistaken about that. Diana and I have been helping people fight for the DS for at least 9 years, long before the ACA came along. And the worst, and most frequent, barrier we have run into is these exclusions. This is nothing new and not caused by the ACA. There are, and for a long time have been, many self-funded insurance policies that have exclusions for bariatric surgery, mental health services, and all sorts of other stuff, and the policies generally say that these services are excluded even if they are medically necessary.
You can think whatever you want about the ACA, but at least understand that it didn't bring about these limited policies. I wish it would have ended them, but it didn't.

And we have the ACA to thank for this.
I love the ACA.

I don't have insurance through them. But I'm glad that my idiot SIL and her ilk are letting us (taxpayers) help with the relatively small premium rather than have us pick up the whole tab if her otherwise uninsured ass ends up in the ER. Which it will as she, like her mother, PROUDLY announces that she NEVER goes to the doctor. (She is three years younger than her brother and looks a good ten years older...something is gonna give out...soon.)

Of course, NOW she's bitching that for her zero-premium insurance, she has a $5000 deductible (doesn't apply to office visits, those are $50) that will kick in for hospital visits. Then I say, "Oh...so now, if you end up with a $30,000 hospital bill, you have to make payments forever to pay that $5000? How much of the $30,000 would you be responsible for WITHOUT the ACA."

The answer is that she probably wouldn't pay the $5k OR the $30k, because she is a moron who has nothing...but at least this way, the insurance companies get to help.

And we have the ACA to thank for this.

No...we have greedy insurance companies (that's why their CEOs make $13 million a year and also why I buy their stock and it keeps getting more expensive.)

We've had medical insurance, through my husband's same employer, for over thirty years and the premiums have NEVER decreased and the coverage has almost NEVER increased.

If we blame the ACA now, who can we blame the past three decades on?

Oh...I guess I answered twice. Sorry.

hopefully, yes.

I don't love the ACA but reform was needed SO badly and the Republicans just fought it and fought it and are still trying to defund it.

the entire system is fucked but slightly less so since the ACA.

hopefully, yes.

I don't love the ACA but reform was needed SO badly and the Republicans just fought it and fought it and are still trying to defund it.

the entire system is fucked but slightly less so since the ACA.

Right! Who ever decided that insurance should be a function of employment? It should be a function of government. Like in the rest of the civilized world.

And the alternative? If we who pay taxes decide we are done with that, what then? We just let everybody die?

We are friends with a doctor and his family in Denmark. One night we sat on our patio and went through a LOT of beer, discussing relative tax rates. They felt abused at the beginning. But once they found out that we were paying $80k for our daughter's tuition (plus room, board, books, fees) (and this was twenty years ago) and University of Copenhagen was free for their kids PLUS each student received a stipend for staying in school, and medical care was free, and the three homeless guys in Copenhagen just REALLY WANT TO BE homeless...they were feeling lucky. And their beer is a lot stronger.

Right! Who ever decided that insurance should be a function of employment? It should be a function of government. Like in the rest of the civilized world.

And the alternative? If we who pay taxes decide we are done with that, what then? We just let everybody die?

We are friends with a doctor and his family in Denmark. One night we sat on our patio and went through a LOT of beer, discussing relative tax rates. They felt abused at the beginning. But once they found out that we were paying $80k for our daughter's tuition (plus room, board, books, fees) (and this was twenty years ago) and University of Copenhagen was free for their kids PLUS each student received a stipend for staying in school, and medical care was free, and the three homeless guys in Copenhagen just REALLY WANT TO BE homeless...they were feeling lucky. And their beer is a lot stronger.

I emigrated from Europe, as part of EU healthcare is mandated by the government, but you can also purchase supplemental private insurance to cover out of pocket costs (nothing like the cost in USA). It is also not typical to work more than 35 hr/week and you also get 30 consecutive days off per year, but most get more than that-6 weeks.

Ahhh tuition in EU is very different on many different levels. Cost is shared amongst different countries throughtout the EU, if you are a EU national you can go to any EU school and the fee for BS, MS or PhD is very low, compared to USA, average 4K year or so, some free some more, some will also pay a stipen to attend, depending on need.

I emigrated from Europe, as part of EU healthcare is mandated by the government, but you can also purchase supplemental private insurance to cover out of pocket costs (nothing like the cost in USA). It is also not typical to work more than 35 hr/week and you also get 30 consecutive days off per year, but most get more than that-6 weeks.

Ahhh tuition in EU is very different on many different levels. Cost is shared amongst different countries throughtout the EU, if you are a EU national you can go to any EU school and the fee for BS, MS or PhD is very low, compared to USA, average 4K year or so, some free some more, some will also pay a stipen to attend, depending on need.

Yup...I have all my paperwork here to apply for recognition of my Italian citizenship. I had to wait until my father died, because he would not have cooperated. But, when he and most of his siblings were born, their father had not yet applied for US citizenship. So, per Italian law at the time, children of Italian men were Italian. (In 1948, women became citizens and they and their kids were Italians, too. But that means two of my cousins, born to one of my father's sisters prior to 1948, do not qualify.) But it means my father was Italian. Which means I am Italian. (Actually, it means I have had dual citizenship since birth...I just don't have the paperwork from the Italian side.)

I thought it might benefit our daughter. She enjoyed living in Denmark and later worked for Lufthansa, so she spent a lot of time there. The EU citizenship thing, as I understand it, makes buying property easier. And, when I was up for long distance travel, I thought that getting emergency health care would be easier.

So, from what country did you emigrate? Do the relatives back there think we are all crazy?

And I am hoping that the Spanish government passes the law that will retroactively give Spanish citizenship to descendants of Jews who fled the Inquisition, and that I can somehow prove my roots.

The ACA was warped by the Republicans and Tea Party idiots into something with so many problems that people would be unhappy with it. At first. But I predict that this is going to change - and the public at large will get used to it, and then they will demand that it improve. And I hope the insurance companies go to hell in a handbasket (SB, get your money out of them before then).

Yup...I have all my paperwork here to apply for recognition of my Italian citizenship. I had to wait until my father died, because he would not have cooperated. But, when he and most of his siblings were born, their father had not yet applied for US citizenship. So, per Italian law at the time, children of Italian men were Italian. (In 1948, women became citizens and they and their kids were Italians, too. But that means two of my cousins, born to one of my father's sisters prior to 1948, do not qualify.) But it means my father was Italian. Which means I am Italian. (Actually, it means I have had dual citizenship since birth...I just don't have the paperwork from the Italian side.)

I thought it might benefit our daughter. She enjoyed living in Denmark and later worked for Lufthansa, so she spent a lot of time there. The EU citizenship thing, as I understand it, makes buying property easier. And, when I was up for long distance travel, I thought that getting emergency health care would be easier.

So, from what country did you emigrate? Do the relatives back there think we are all crazy?

Every EU country has it's certain requirements, depending on the country. Being born in a certain EU country, you are not automatically citizen of that country, (unlike USA, you are born here you are citizen, which I think is a bit strange). Not sure why you had to wait till your dad passed, depending on country, as long as you can show that you are the biological daughter of you Italian born parent and your parents (or father) lived and worked in Italy for XX years, then you are an Italian citizen, paperwork is easy, you have to register, legally, your birth, to be added to Italy's birth records. Once you turn 18 years old, that fee is much higher, empty your wallet. I carry dual citizenship, EU and USA, and travel with 2 passports. My children also have dual citizenship. The world is becoming very global and my daughter wants to work at CERN (not part of EU but it will still help with surrounding area) Yes buying property is much easier, you qualify for healthcare etc.

Tuition/higher education is intersting in EU, again depending on country, applying for a MS and PhD in EU with a BS from USA is straight forward, attempting to get your BS from EU is virtually impossible, you can spend a semester there, or a year, but to actually have a EU grant you a BS is another story (if you went to school, middle, high school, in the USA). But applying for a MS or PhD with a BS from the USA is simple. EU has very strict rules on who is considered a national (even if you were born there) when it comes to education getting a BS, and it is more stingent than healthcare.

Our self-funded health insurance policy has been discontinued as of this year. We can no longer purchase that plan. It wasn't even the cadillac of plans, but it covered my labs and my DS, among other surgeries. It had a very high deductible that we never met, unless I had major surgery. ER visits were not paid for, ever. We self pay for our insurance. Starting January 1st, we will be paying 30% more for half the coverage. Higher deductible and higher co-pays. When Mr. Sheanie attended the seminar given by the MDA about these changes, the speaker said that all these changes were due to the ACA. Mr. Sheanie has read extensively on this, and we are paying $300 per premium in taxes alone relating to the ACA.

I am neither Republican nor Democrat. I do not vote any party. I don't fit any definition of political party. I'm definitely not a Liberal or Conservative.

What I have a huge problem with is hard working people paying for people who don't work, but who are able-bodied. I'm not talking about deserving people. I'm talking 8th generation welfare recipients in my town, families who have NEVER worked. They don't pay in to the system.

That is my reality with the ACA. Our new policy has exclusions like the ones I read above, in the OP. Our policy reads like that. THAT is why I blame the ACA.

Every EU country has it's certain requirements, depending on the country. Being born in a certain EU country, you are not automatically citizen of that country, (unlike USA, you are born here you are citizen, which I think is a bit strange). Not sure why you had to wait till your dad passed, depending on country, as long as you can show that you are the biological daughter of you Italian born parent and your parents (or father) lived and worked in Italy for XX years, then you are an Italian citizen, paperwork is easy, you have to register, legally, your birth, to be added to Italy's birth records. Once you turn 18 years old, that fee is much higher, empty your wallet. I carry dual citizenship, EU and USA, and travel with 2 passports. My children also have dual citizenship. The world is becoming very global and my daughter wants to work at CERN (not part of EU but it will still help with surrounding area) Yes buying property is much easier, you qualify for healthcare etc.

Tuition/higher education is intersting in EU, again depending on country, applying for a MS and PhD in EU with a BS from USA is straight forward, attempting to get your BS from EU is virtually impossible, you can spend a semester there, or a year, but to actually have a EU grant you a BS is another story (if you went to school, middle, high school, in the USA). But applying for a MS or PhD with a BS from the USA is simple. EU has very strict rules on who is considered a national (even if you were born there) when it comes to education getting a BS, and it is more stingent than healthcare.

My father felt no allegiance to Italy and would have said, because he was an ass, that he HAD declared allegiance to ONLY the US...World War II and all that...and was not a citizen of Italy and that would have stopped the line of citizenship because I could mot have gotten the required statements from him. Interestingly enough, I was also in the Army and swore the same allegiance and all, but Italy doesn't ASK those questions of women, because...you know...we're women! Funny, that.

My hesitation is that I am completely unaware of the laws and customs of Italy. I can function here because I "get" the culture, know which rules I can break, know where most lines in the sand are drawn. In Italy...and factor in that once I hit the "age of reason" I found Catholic school both silly and oppressive...I don't know how I'd function in a markedly Catholic COUNTRY. The Italian legal system is a complete puzzle to me... I'd probably be imprisoned immediately.

My father felt no allegiance to Italy and would have said, because he was an ass, that he HAD declared allegiance to ONLY the US...World War II and all that...and was not a citizen of Italy and that would have stopped the line of citizenship because I could mot have gotten the required statements from him. Interestingly enough, I was also in the Army and swore the same allegiance and all, but Italy doesn't ASK those questions of women, because...you know...we're women! Funny, that.

My hesitation is that I am completely unaware of the laws and customs of Italy. I can function here because I "get" the culture, know which rules I can break, know where most lines in the sand are drawn. In Italy...and factor in that once I hit the "age of reason" I found Catholic school both silly and oppressive...I don't know how I'd function in a markedly Catholic COUNTRY. The Italian legal system is a complete puzzle to me... I'd probably be imprisoned immediately.

SB that was common, to turn your back on your country of origin back then, things started changing about 15 years ago. Ahhh yes I am a honorably discharged US Army Sergeant, Ft Sam, 92B. Even though I had my degree I had to go in as enlisted, and could not be an officer, because at that point I was not nautralized, interesting at that point USA let non-USA citizen serve.
Dual citizenship is important for me, and USA recognizes dual citizenship, but doesnt encourage it I travel for business and pleasure in Europe, that is a great benefit, no paper, time limits, etc. But you have to be very careful, USA wants taxes on EVERYTHING in this country and all others, pay taxes on property etc, and you will probably owe taxes in both countries, that is not usually true from the EU country. They dont care if I am USA citizen, for them I am EU national and dont care if I was nautralized in the USA. You should be hesitant Each country has its own laws and rules involving crimes or misconduct. If a dual citizen commits a crime, she owes allegiance to both the USA and her other country of nationality, the country where she is located generally has a greater claim to her allegiance. If you are unsure of the culture, it is not a good idea, as that prison would be a one way street as the USA embassay would not be welcome. Live in Italy for a couple of years, and decide then.

SB that was common, to turn your back on your country of origin back then, things started changing about 15 years ago. Ahhh yes I am a honorably discharged US Army Sergeant, Ft Sam, 92B. Even though I had my degree I had to go in as enlisted, and could not be an officer, because at that point I was not nautralized, interesting at that point USA let non-USA citizen serve.
Dual citizenship is important for me, and USA recognizes dual citizenship, but doesnt encourage it I travel for business and pleasure in Europe, that is a great benefit, no paper, time limits, etc. But you have to be very careful, USA wants taxes on EVERYTHING in this country and all others, pay taxes on property etc, and you will probably owe taxes in both countries, that is not usually true from the EU country. They dont care if I am USA citizen, for them I am EU national and dont care if I was nautralized in the USA. You should be hesitant Each country has its own laws and rules involving crimes or misconduct. If a dual citizen commits a crime, she owes allegiance to both the USA and her other country of nationality, the country where she is located generally has a greater claim to her allegiance. If you are unsure of the culture, it is not a good idea, as that prison would be a one way street as the USA embassay would not be welcome. Live in Italy for a couple of years, and decide then.

Oh...I think I was a 98-something...golf, maybe...Ft.Mc Clellan, now recognized as a toxic waste dump, and then DLIWC, Monterey. But then I changed to a 70-something to try to pull off a concurrent assignment with my sweetie.

Latest posts

Back