New here with Questions...

I'm a little over three years out. I don't think I've ever dumped but early on all dairy was evil (took me a while to figure that out). Watermelon gives me pink dhr. Once a year, I still indulge. I eat basically what I want, protein first. I went to Denny's last night and had the Moons over MyHammy. At a little over half of it. That with coffee (brought my own cream).

Just recently I've tried cheese again, no problems. I'm still not brave enough to try real milk or cottage cheese but I'm going to try soon. I eat bread, potatoes, rice just about anything without consequences. Honey will send me to the restroom with dhr but no dumping. I've thrown up once since the DS and that was when I listened to Dr. Oz (don't listen to him). I eat salad too but I do become a salad shooter later on ;)

Your new tummy will be unique to you. Sugar alcohols are a problem for many. Breads are an issue for some. Dairy is an issue for some. It's trial and error and then you give it a couple months and try it again. I changed after almost three years out. I'm like a crack addict with cheese right now, the ooey gooey richness is amazing!

Get protein and fats in and you've got it. YMMV, the people who post are the ones that have problems. There are many we never hear from because they are happily living their lives healthy and no longer obese.

Research and listen to Diana about the surgeon. She knows because she's helped a lot of people that have had issues.

Good Luck

Had the carb discussion with friends with vaious bariatric surgeries about ten years ago. We decided that, in general, if we each downed a couple of KrispyKremes...

1--the lap band person would get plugged up, saliva would start piling up, and she would be running for a bathroom to barf it all up;
2--the RnY person would need to lie down, with palpitations and sweating, trash can nearby just in case, and live through about 20 minutes of hell;
3--the DS person would, a few hours later, start bloating up like she was 12 months pregnant and would later have outrageously smelly poop as that undigested stuff finally exited.

Choose your poison. Or never eat donuts.

"if we each downed a couple of KrispyKremes"

Or, if you are like me, you eat HALF of a filled KK or ONE glazed, and have relatively minimal effects. I just can't eat that much sweets in one sitting anymore - after the third or fourth bite, very sweet things just become overwhelming sweet and not that enjoyable. I really like that about how my DS works - I can enjoy a treat but have little fear of overdoing because I have a natural satiety brake that actually works.

Offensive? Not even close. You are just fine. We are all grownups here. Well at least most of the time.

The DS does exactly what you need. It re-boots your metabolism. Restriction is just another diet. Malabsorbtion + restriction is the key.

Quite a few people dis the DS. And most of the bad info came from surgeons who don't DO the DS. Surgeons are human and they want your money so just like a car salesman they dis the Nissan so you will buy their Toyota. Always follow the money! They don't want you to walk out of their office without signing up for a procedure they do.

For some people, the RNY or sleeve is enough. But for many it's not. Your body adapts to the small amount of malabsorbtion delivered by the proximal RNY at around the 2 year mark or even sooner. That's why you start seeing regain at around 2 years. Both of those procedures need a low everything diet to be successful. You can not eat like a normal person.

DSers can eat like normal people. We could go out to lunch and you would never know I had surgery. I can eat anything. But I am also not skinny and I know, just like a normal person, I have to be careful what I eat. I avoid carbs as much as possible but that doesn't mean I can't have a piece of birthday cake. Sure I'll have the cake and then cut back in other areas! Paleo/Atkins type of eating is best for us. High protein and fat, and low carb.

I take supplements twice a day, morning and evening. Not a big deal, it's automatic. The low carb thing is automatic too. I don't really have to think about it at all. And there is so much I can eat it makes up for the things I need to avoid.

Offensive? Not even close. You are just fine. We are all grownups here. Well at least most of the time.

The DS does exactly what you need. It re-boots your metabolism. Restriction is just another diet. Malabsorbtion + restriction is the key.

Quite a few people dis the DS. And most of the bad info came from surgeons who don't DO the DS. Surgeons are human and they want your money so just like a car salesman they dis the Nissan so you will buy their Toyota. Always follow the money! They don't want you to walk out of their office without signing up for a procedure they do.

For some people, the RNY or sleeve is enough. But for many it's not. Your body adapts to the small amount of malabsorbtion delivered by the proximal RNY at around the 2 year mark or even sooner. That's why you start seeing regain at around 2 years. Both of those procedures need a low everything diet to be successful. You can not eat like a normal person.

DSers can eat like normal people. We could go out to lunch and you would never know I had surgery. I can eat anything. But I am also not skinny and I know, just like a normal person, I have to be careful what I eat. I avoid carbs as much as possible but that doesn't mean I can't have a piece of birthday cake. Sure I'll have the cake and then cut back in other areas! Paleo/Atkins type of eating is best for us. High protein and fat, and low carb.

I take supplements twice a day, morning and evening. Not a big deal, it's automatic. The low carb thing is automatic too. I don't really have to think about it at all. And there is so much I can eat it makes up for the things I need to avoid.

I can only eat the frosting...and then Kirmy nags.

I'm a little over three years out. I don't think I've ever dumped but early on all dairy was evil (took me a while to figure that out). Watermelon gives me pink dhr. Once a year, I still indulge. I eat basically what I want, protein first. I went to Denny's last night and had the Moons over MyHammy. At a little over half of it. That with coffee (brought my own cream).

Just recently I've tried cheese again, no problems. I'm still not brave enough to try real milk or cottage cheese but I'm going to try soon. I eat bread, potatoes, rice just about anything without consequences. Honey will send me to the restroom with dhr but no dumping. I've thrown up once since the DS and that was when I listened to Dr. Oz (don't listen to him). I eat salad too but I do become a salad shooter later on ;)

Your new tummy will be unique to you. Sugar alcohols are a problem for many. Breads are an issue for some. Dairy is an issue for some. It's trial and error and then you give it a couple months and try it again. I changed after almost three years out. I'm like a crack addict with cheese right now, the ooey gooey richness is amazing!

Get protein and fats in and you've got it. YMMV, the people who post are the ones that have problems. There are many we never hear from because they are happily living their lives healthy and no longer obese.

Research and listen to Diana about the surgeon. She knows because she's helped a lot of people that have had issues.

Good Luck

Many people THINK they have had a dumping episode. But most who really have had one, know for sure:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=I0RDmtOa-o8

Had the carb discussion with friends with vaious bariatric surgeries about ten years ago. We decided that, in general, if we each downed a couple of KrispyKremes...

1--the lap band person would get plugged up, saliva would start piling up, and she would be running for a bathroom to barf it all up;
2--the RnY person would need to lie down, with palpitations and sweating, trash can nearby just in case, and live through about 20 minutes of hell;
3--the DS person would, a few hours later, start bloating up like she was 12 months pregnant and would later have outrageously smelly poop as that undigested stuff finally exited.

Choose your poison. Or never eat donuts.

trying to think what would happen to a VSGer... when I was in my first year or two, might be #1 - slime city. might be #2 - I know I "can't" dump BUT I remember eating half a cookie at, I don't know, 6 months? I was at work and had to lie down on the floor, seriously. I felt BAD. a couple of donuts and I might have died, seems like.

now? I would just get sleepy and have regret.

trying to think what would happen to a VSGer... when I was in my first year or two, might be #1 - slime city. might be #2 - I know I "can't" dump BUT I remember eating half a cookie at, I don't know, 6 months? I was at work and had to lie down on the floor, seriously. I felt BAD. a couple of donuts and I might have died, seems like.

now? I would just get sleepy and have regret.
Regrets not allowed...won't change anything...just move on and give yourself a hug!

Latest posts

Back