New here with Questions...

SJB41976

He,

I have been on Obesity Help (on and off) for years. I originally had lap-band and had revision to VSG in 2010 with Dr. David Kim in Texas. I lost 70 pounds and have regained 50. Early on, my head was really screwed up and I sabotaged a lot of my success. Then the weight loss stopped, and within a year the regain began. During this time I went to several classes, saw a therapist and finally found a therapist who deals with Eating Disorders and I have been with her for over a year and a half. It has been tremendously helpful. I basically hated myself when I had the revision done and you can't hate yourself into a positive result. I know that now.

At first, I told myself I would never have a 3rd surgery. I would do this on my own once my head got straightened out. Now, I eat like a normal person 80-90% of the time, meaning no binging or grazing, but it doesn't help me lose weight. I love the feeling knowing I love and accept myself and the fact that most of the time I am not turing to food for emotional reasons, however, my metabolism is shot and I never thought that would happen.

So, in order for me to lose weight I either have to restrict a lot, or I can eat Paleo and lose weight pretty well. I choose to eat clean most of the time, because PAleo is pretty strict with no sugar or wheat.

I've never had any co-morbidities, however last year I had to have a meniscus repair in my left knee and then had foot issues. Now I am in inserts at 46 years old and I am pretty much in constant discomfort with my joints. The reality of what being overweight all my life is leading me to consider the DS to finally get rid of the weight.

Which leads me to my next dilemma. I am researching the DS, but I'm wondering if I can't stick to no wheat or sugar now, how am I going to do that post-op with the most restrictive procedure with the most complications and the most consequences for eating badly. I will write more about this in a post as I really want to know, how do you not feel deprived? That's what happened with the VSG and I rebelled and started eating junk at 6 months out, I still lost weight because it was the first year and I recklessly threw away the opportunity the surgery afforded me. That really sticks with me.

Even though I know I have worked HARD on my head issues.....all the what ifs just keep coming up.

I just worry that I am not going to be able to stick to low carb the rest of my life.

Welcome @SJB41976
Which leads me to my next dilemma. I am researching the DS, but I'm wondering if I can't stick to no wheat or sugar now, how am I going to do that post-op with the most restrictive procedure with the most complications and the most consequences for eating badly. I will write more about this in a post as I really want to know, how do you not feel deprived? That's what happened with the VSG and I rebelled and started eating junk at 6 months out, I still lost weight because it was the first year and I recklessly threw away the opportunity the surgery afforded me. That really sticks with me.
First, read everything you can on here. You will notice, we don't feel deprived.

I eat wheat AND sugar but just keep my carbs at a reasonable level. And I eat protein/fat first. And that can make it hard to have ROOM for the carbs. Esp early out.

The other thing that helps keep me in line is the fact that there are many carbs, while I CAN eat them, I don't like the resulting gas/bloat my body develops cause IT doesn't like them. After a time, I just don't bother. I haven't had pasta in almost 2 years. Just don't feel the need to have it.

It's hard to feel deprived when you can eat many, many times a day, as long as protein is first. A rule that one of our members suggest is to get in 30 grams of protein before going for the carbs...(EVEN for snacks) And most of us simply can't eat that much at one time. It takes SIX eggs to get in 30 grams of protein. My LIMIT at one sitting is 2 at best. BUT I do not deprive myself.

We have several VSG to DS revisions. Keep asking questions.

Hi and welcome
With bariatric operations that are 100% restrictive (lap band) or nearly 100% restrictive (sleeve) you have to stick to a low calorie, low carb, low fat diet or you either don't lose or regain. With the DS, we have metabolic changes and malabsorption that allow us to eat protein and fat freely and not worry about calories. We do need to limit carbs. It's much more liberating.
If we do choose to eat carbs, we do so knowing that there will be consequences. It's a choice each of us makes, and sometimes we choose to have them and sometimes we choose not to. It sounds like you have really worked hard to get your head to the right place and that you would make the DS work for you. You are probably working much harder now than you would with the DS.
It's hard enough to decide to have one bariatric surgery. It must be even harder to go for a third operation. Only you can decide if this is the right avenue for you, all I can tell you is that we are seeing new people all the time revising from lap band and vsg to the DS, so you are not alone.

Um, the DS is not "the most restrictive," does not have "the most complications" (that honor goes to the crap band) and does not have "the most consequences for eating badly." Sounds like you have been reading fairy tales. Learn more about it and then decide. And don't have Kim do the procedure.

You get to eat the most normal with the DS. To be honest I miss my Erny. If I ate something I wasn't supposed to I knew about and didn't do but again. The Dumping WOULD Make Me Dump SOMETHING terrible. Now if I eat something I'm not supposed I don't feel any different. So now I have to hold myself accountable. The rny is why I haven't tried soda in 15 years. I accidentally took a drink of a soda and had to pull over on the freeway and laid down in the back seat. I wanted to kill myself. But hey never accidentally drank carbonation or regular sugar drinks again.

"with the most restrictive procedure with the most complications and the most consequences for eating badly."

What does that mean?

"with the most restrictive procedure with the most complications and the most consequences for eating badly."

What does that mean?

It means that she has been on another forum where they often trash the DS procedure and attempt to convince people not to get it because they do not have complete/correct information.

I ran into this when I was searching for an online "home" for information and ideas. I was on one forum where I was attacked inline for defending my decision to have the DS. Then I was sent private messages telling me that if I didn't die from the procedure, I would be dead within five years from malnutrition. So many private messages telling me I was going to die.

Another DSer that was in that thread with me, directed me here. I like it here. The information is good and the people are friendly.
I think the submitter needs to do more research.

Whoa...didn't mean to offend anyone. Maybe "restrictive" wasn't the right word, but I have heard people state they wanted the DS because it was the most malapsortive??? Most effective for weight loss?? But you have to be honest...there are consequences if you eat carbs. I've sat in an weight loss seminar (more than once) and know if you eat a lot of carbs you are going to be on the toilet. Isn't the DS the most serious of weight loss surgeries. I mean, do I have that wrong?

In the past I have been on sites where the DS was bashed, but on OH now I don't really see negativity and I mainly stay on the DS forum.

I am very educated on the DS I have been researching it off and on for nearly a year. I think everyone worries about the bathroom issues of the DS pre-op. I just want to know FOR SURE what I am getting into.

Whoa...didn't mean to offend anyone. Maybe "restrictive" wasn't the right word, but I have heard people state they wanted the DS because it was the most malapsortive??? Most effective for weight loss?? But you have to be honest...there are consequences if you eat carbs. I've sat in an weight loss seminar (more than once) and know if you eat a lot of carbs you are going to be on the toilet. Isn't the DS the most serious of weight loss surgeries. I mean, do I have that wrong?

In the past I have been on sites where the DS was bashed, but on OH now I don't really see negativity and I mainly stay on the DS forum.

I am very educated on the DS I have been researching it off and on for nearly a year. I think everyone worries about the bathroom issues of the DS pre-op. I just want to know FOR SURE what I am getting into.
Most of the DS issues are controlled ONCE you find your personal issues. In general it is carbs, even "good" carbs. Foods like cruciferous vegetables can cause gas in normies. Beans are full of fiber but they don't sell Bean-O for nothing...many foods can cause issues even in those who have not had surgery. And sugar alcohols can be a major mine field...just ask anyone who has had one too many sugar free gummy bears!

Each of us have triggers that will send us to the toilet and it isn't always the same ones. I can eat bread, pasta, rice, etc with no real consequences later. I have NO issues with potatoes. But Pasteurized milk...and I am in misery! Now, I don't eat most carbs but then it's not due to toilet issues but "brain" issues. My WEAKNESS is rice. Growing up, a huge bowl of heavily buttered rice could be a meal. I ADORE rice, my gut handles it easily BUT I chose to not indulge probably more than 2-3 times a year and then ONLY if I am out eating AND I eat my protein first. By then, it is usually just 2 bites.

I don't end up on the toilet by eating a LOT of carbs unless they are ones I have issues with such as pasteurized milk, sugar alcohols in ANY food, etc.
AND if I don't get enough fat in each day, I get constipated. My problem carb list is actually VERY small.

In the early days of a DS life, it is a learning curve to relearn your guts...and that CAN last a year or so, esp for those who just eat. Our guts are no different than a baby's...you don't just throw anything at it without some type of consequence.

BUT I KNEW I needed malabsorptive. I was great at LOSING weight, could not keep it off and it usually brought friends. If restrictive worked, I would have been much smaller than I was.

Last edited:
@SJB41976 certainly no offensive taken here!

I think restrictive was just the wrong word, that's all. In the world of bariatric surgery, "restriction" has the specific meaning of forcing someone to eat less. That's why lap band is considered a purely restrictive procedure. In reality, the Ds has the LEAST restriction of any bariatric surgery. We have what is considered "moderate" restriction combined with our malabsorption.
And that's where I think all that "you are going to die" stuff comes in. People go to seminars and consults with surgeons and clinics that don't offer the DS and are told terrible things about it...by surgeons who don't do it and either really believe this (because they have seen one or two noncompliant patients get into trouble) or because they don't want to lose paying customers. Since most people believe what their doctors tell them, and don't do their own independent research as you are doing, they go on these websites and spout this crap.
Stick around here for awhile. You will meet people like me who are far more than 5 years post-op and doing great. I'm over 9 years post-op now. Diana is over 10 years out. Others are right there with us. The key is that malabsorption does NOT equal malnutrition - unless you let it. If you take all your vitamins and minerals faithfully, eat plenty of protein and follow your labs, you will almost certainly do just fine. In almost all cases, the people who get into nutritional trouble are noncompliant. That's their choice, I guess. Lots of people make all sorts of bad choices in life. That doesn't mean that you can't make good choices.
Check out the revision forum on OH sometime. You will find lots of people unhappy with their lap bands and sleeves and gastric bypass. You won't find very many people, if any, unhappy with a DS.

Diana and Munchkin are almost 12 years out (both of us had surgery in Aug 2003).

The DS allows moderation in most things - very little is "not at all, not ever" - there is no dumping (for the most part - some people seem to have certain sensitivities to foods that happens quickly, but it is not dumping per se); if you want to indulge in something that is going to cause poop or gas issues later, and you can plan for it, you can do so (and adjust your carb intake if necessary before or after - or not); one of the easiest ways of keeping your carb intake down without feeling deprived is to limit them daily until dinner - "not now" is much easier to accept than "not ever."

And as Larra says - malabsorption is what we WANT (in particular, SELECTIVE fat malabsorption) - malnutrition is avoidable by being a responsible steward of your DS, which isn't that hard to do.

Hey, SJB41976, you have come to the right place. There are a lot of Vets here that tell it like it is. I wanted a place that I could read and learn from people that have been there and know what they are talking about, not from people that tell me what I should do because they 'think' they know. You have to make the decision yourself based on your research. Look up the research article here that talk about the DS and the low regain % as well as the % of complications from surgery. Consider when you do to look at similar research articles on the perils of obesity.
I to had the crap band - about 6ish years ago. I would have had the sleeve at the time, but insurance did not pay for it. I have been in therapy for BED too and have finally changed my relationship with food. Do I still use food sometimes, yep - but I believe the immediate physical feedback with the DS will certainly change that. I know with the band, if I eat rice - it gets stuck and hurts like a mother. I don't eat it anymore.

I am scheduled for DS in June. I decided on DS because I know I need the malabsorption portion of the surgery. I have dieted (excuse the '4' letter word) and lost lots of weight but gained it all back again and again. I cannot go through that again - it caused such shame and self-hate it makes me feel hopeless. And, in case you was wondering - with the crappy band - lost 44 pounds - 24 before surg and 20 after.

The info here is honest and loving - it is my favorite site. I don't post a lot, I feel like I am in pre-school soaking it all in. I want to learn all I can. There are folks like me that are pre-op and folks just out of surgery that have shared their journey and then folks with years and years. These are the peeps to believe about DS.

Latest posts

Back