New here - posting about recent bowel obstruction (questions and advice)

buffalobillsfan

Hi All,
I was directed her by Diana (thanks Lady D) so I thought I'd share my recent obstruction and introduce myself. I have been active on OH and Proboards for about 6 years now. I'm 47 year old female and had my DS almost exactly 5 years ago by the awesome Dr John Rabkin. I had a virgin DS, easy recovery and no complications. I've struggled with the normal things like finding protein sources I could stomach for the first year, getting all the vites and liquids in, and had some low iron and low cholesterol issues. Other than that, I consider myself a success both physically and mentally. I went from 294 lbs and now hover in the 137-143 range (I'm 5'2").
On Friday I had some belly pain that was just completely different than any other pain I have had. I would say 6-7 out of 10 but I was able to fall asleep thru it and woke up without it. After I ate something on Saturday I felt a slight pain again but it subsided. I did have a "hmmmm" moment though. We went out for dinner on Saturday and I ate pretty well but didn't have my huge normal appetite. I started to get stomach pain again. I had told my husband about it and he's a big hypochondriac/worrier and made me promise if I had bad pain again that I would go to ER.
We fell asleep on the couch and I was woken up around midnight to the same pain. I looked at the boards and googled small bowel obstruction and I still had gas/bowel movements but I did have diarrhea and burping. In my heart I knew what it was. Since I had to work Sunday I figured I'd better go to ER then so I could be home in time to go to work. I knew Dr Rabkin sometimes worked out of El Camino Hospital so I went there even though it was a bit of a journey. I brought my recent labs from 2 weeks ago and my CT Scan instructions for a DS. They took me right in and had the same recommendation for the CT scan so I didn't have to argue. When it was confirmed there was an SBO they called Dr Rabkin who asked if I wanted to be transferred to San Fran to be treated by him. ABSOLUTELY. It was the bright spot in my dark day.
The first doctor to look at it said that maybe without food and water and some bed rest observation it would pass. He said there were a few other things that he wanted to try before surgery came into the picture. I was thrilled. For a minute. Dr Rabkin looked at it and recommended exploratory surgery. I trust him and went with it. An hour later I was in surgery. I didn't have much time to freak out but managed to get a small breakdown in. When I woke up, nauseated and in pain, I heard Dr Rabkin telling me surgery had definitely been needed and that I was a mess inside. I had 3 things wrong - hernia repair mesh in a ball in my gut, small bowel pushed into/attached to my colon and I think my small bowel was wrapped around adhesions. 3 hours in surgery. So much pain for the first few days I was losing my sanity. I was also NPO and so thirsty. I didn't have gas until Wednesday and as of today haven't had a bowel movement since my nervous stomach poop after finding out I needed surgery. So frustrating.
I don't know how women have a C-section and then care for a newborn. OMG! I can finally form a thought so I thought I would post on all boards my experience in the hopes that it will help others. I had a huge single corner room with a view, was treated so well by the staff at CPMC and my husband stayed with me the whole time which helped tremendously.
My advise would be to error on the side of caution when it comes to stomach pain. I read several times of people ignoring or waiting with excruciating pain to go to the ER. I hate hospitals and the copay they inflict when it isn't an emergency. The most important part is that this pain was DIFFERENT than any other pain I had ever had. That seems to be a common thread when something is medically wrong. I wouldn't call it excruciating like I thought an SBO would be. I only had a few symptoms so don't wait until you have all symptoms. I had no vomiting, nausea, fever, constipation or loss of appetite. I was also prepared to fight for what I wanted and advocate for myself.
My questions would be for those who had surgery are:
1. How long did it take for you to have a bowel movement?
2. How long did the tough pain last? I'm 4 days out and I'm still at a 7 or so on the pain scale. Is this normal?
3. How long until you could to back to work?
4. How long before you felt 100% back to normal?
5. Did anything change after your surgery (medical, weight, appetite, bowel movements)?
6. Any advice you can recommend?
Thanks for any words of wisdom and for taking the time to read all of this as I know I am wordy!
Best Regards,
Cathy

Hi Cathy & Welcome.

thank you for sharing that - I am SO glad you didn't try and brave through the pain and got it taken care of. very scary to think what might have happened!

:rainbowwelcome:

Thank you for sharing your experience!

What causes an obstruction?
Anyone can get an obstruction but people with any abdominal surgery are more prone to them. I had the DS 5 years ago and a hernia repair about 2 years ago. Major weight loss can contribute as well. I think my DS led to my incisional hernia and my hernia repair led to my obstruction but that is just my humble opinion.

Cathy!!! Hi and welcome! this is where the cool kids play these days, and since you are one of the cool kids, you belong here.

I'm so happy to see you here, but sorry you have been through and are still going through this miserable experience. I hope your story will be education for everyone else, as we have all either had major abdominal surgery or are planning in it. You did everything right and made great decisions, and had good care, so you will be ok, and this isn't the case for everyone.
I think the reason your pain wasn't excruciating is that you didn't wait for your bowel to lose its blood supply before you got to the ER. Ischemic bowel is very, very painful, but fortunately you didn't wait long enough for that to happen. Also, your story points out one of the reasons people with either the DS or gastric bypass are sometimes not diagnosed fast enough - we have a BP limb, and if the obstruction is in the BP limb there may be no vomiting, no nausea, and continued BM's, so the usual hallmarks of a bowel obstruction aren't there. Just pain, which can have many causes. Surgeons understand this, ER docs, not always.
Hang in there, as your intestines get over being obstructed and then being handled, which they don't like, they will gradually function better and you will feel better. You will get through this and you will be ok.

Larra

Cathy!!! Hi and welcome! this is where the cool kids play these days, and since you are one of the cool kids, you belong here.

I'm so happy to see you here, but sorry you have been through and are still going through this miserable experience. I hope your story will be education for everyone else, as we have all either had major abdominal surgery or are planning in it. You did everything right and made great decisions, and had good care, so you will be ok, and this isn't the case for everyone.
I think the reason your pain wasn't excruciating is that you didn't wait for your bowel to lose its blood supply before you got to the ER. Ischemic bowel is very, very painful, but fortunately you didn't wait long enough for that to happen. Also, your story points out one of the reasons people with either the DS or gastric bypass are sometimes not diagnosed fast enough - we have a BP limb, and if the obstruction is in the BP limb there may be no vomiting, no nausea, and continued BM's, so the usual hallmarks of a bowel obstruction aren't there. Just pain, which can have many causes. Surgeons understand this, ER docs, not always.
Hang in there, as your intestines get over being obstructed and then being handled, which they don't like, they will gradually function better and you will feel better. You will get through this and you will be ok.

Larra

Larra! Great to find your "lunch table" so I wasn't eating alone anymore! I consider boards my best source of information and you and Diana and the old gang have given me quite an education. Anyone with access to your wisdom and advice is lucky. I could have, heck, would have gotten so much worse if I hadn't known the signs and symptoms or decided to wait it out in denial. My husband was so impressed with the file I brought to El Camino Hospital even in the midst of a crisis. He heard the copier printing stuff and me gathering paperwork. I also went ready for a fight! I thought they were a great hospital, treated me well, did everything I would have wanted. I knew they were my best choice besides going all the way to St Mary's or CPMC. They have a lot of bariatric surgeons on their website.
I'm happy to report that since writing my original post and now that I had my first BM. Where else can you or would you write that, huh?! And celebrate it to boot! I told Dr Rabkin how much I loved him like 7 times and how much his surgery made my life a million times better. My husband even got teary eyed and weepy when he saw him. He might have a man-crush on Dr Rabkin. I don't mind! :) So great to hear from you! It's funny how I wanted my DS forum friends more than my family or coworkers when I was in the hospital.

Did you have open surgery? Is the pain from the incision? Since I have never had a bowel obstruction, I can't speak about that, but I did have a very large incision with my DS and it was indeed quite painful for a couple of weeks, but the pain does decrease daily. I found the best medication for incisional pain is toradol. In any case, speak up and tell Dr. Rabkin that you are in a lot of pain and see if he can prescribe something that will work better for you than what you are doing now.

Thanks for sharing! This is my biggest hypochondriac type symptom, every time I have pain in the bowels I am "sure" I have an obstruction. :D The thing is, when I have pain, it is always in the same spot. Why is that, anyone know?

BTW, I am not normally a hypochondriac:)

Thanks for sharing! This is my biggest hypochondriac type symptom, every time I have pain in the bowels I am "sure" I have an obstruction. :D The thing is, when I have pain, it is always in the same spot. Why is that, anyone know?

BTW, I am not normally a hypochondriac:)

I sometimes had normal tummy aches but this pain was different. It was PAIN and not a discomfort and it was shortly after eating. It only lasted 2 days before I got help. I'm glad I did. I am the opposite. I explain everything away because I don't want to have fears. I would highly recommend having a CT scan done just to make sure it isn't anything developing. I know I would have kicked myself if I thought I might have a problem, didn't get it checked, and then it became worse because I waited. If you have pain in the same spot that could be an indicator. I was hoping mine would move down in my belly but it didn't. It was in the same spot too. I'm going to do a new thread about my recent development. I might have to take my own advice!

Latest posts

Back