New Guidelines: Treat Obesity First

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
New Guidelines: Treat Obesity First
Will obesity drugs trim the need for diabetes, lipid, and hypertension drugs?

Action Points
  • Treat weight problems first, then deal with comorbidities like dyslipidemia, hypertension, and impaired glucose tolerance, a new guideline urges.
  • Note that four new obesity drugs have been approved in the last few years: Belviq, Qsymia, Contrave, and Saxenda.
Treat weight problems first, then deal with comorbidities like dyslipidemia, hypertension, and impaired glucose tolerance, a new guideline urges.

It's an entirely new approach to the treatment of disease, said Caroline Apovian, MD, of Boston University, the lead author of a new guideline for treating obesity with medications, published online in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism.

Advertisement

"The old paradigm was to treat each comorbidity with medications ... then manage obesity, which caused most of the original problems in the first place," Apovian said during a press briefing. "The new paradigm is to manage the obesity first, with lifestyle change and medications, then manage the remainder of the comorbidities that have not responded."

The guideline focuses on medical management of obesity, a component left out of earlier guidelines released by the American Heart Association, the American College of Cardiology, and the Obesity Society, since they were written before many of the new weight-loss drugs were approved.

Those drugs, coupled with extensive lifestyle counseling and clinician visits, are poised to help patients who've struggled to lose weight for years by enhancing their ability to make behavioral change, Apovian said.

That, in turn, should diminish their need for medications to manage other conditions that are tied to obesity, including diabetes, hypertension, and dyslipidemia, she said.

Several obesity experts contacted by MedPage Today said they agreed with the new guidance, that treating overweight and obesity could resolve many of the conditions that commonly occur with it.

"Treating obesity is good," said Joel Zonszein, MD, of Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York. "It is at the core of the hypertension, dyslipidemia, insulin resistance, and diabetes that we see."

Four new obesity drugs have been approved in the last few years: Belviq, Qsymia, Contrave, and Saxenda. Many of these medications work by amplifying the effects of behavioral changes, Apovian said, and they have the greatest effect when they're reinforced with face-to-face visits -- the literature says at least 16 visits per year, a figure that federal insurers reimburse for.

"Adding the medications to a diet and lifestyle program leads to a greater enhancement of their effects," she said. "And we recommend that if you're going to treat weight management patients that you see them frequently."

Apovian noted that the Endocrine Society still stands by the AHA/ACC/TOS guidelines on weight management, and that the current guidelines simply fill a gap that wasn't addressed in the 2013 guidance.

The new guidelines are the first to mention specific obesity drugs and give some guidance on how to prescribe them.

In patients with uncontrolled hypertension or a history of heart disease, the guidelines recommend against using the sympathomimetic agents p hentermine (had to add space to go around word censor) (a component of Qsymia) and diethylpropion.

Patients with cardiovascular risk, for instance, should be put on the drugs with the lowest cardiovascular risk, which include orlistat (Alli, Xenical) or lorcaserin (Belviq), Apovian said.

Patients should be put on the drugs for a 3-month trial period, starting at the lowest dose and titrating up, the guidelines state. If they don't lose at least 5% of their body weight in that time, they should be switched to another drug.

"You have to give your best guess as to which drug the patient should go on based on their lifestyle characteristics that make them amenable to that particular drug," Apovian said. "Unless you have a very clear idea of what drug you think the patient will do best on, it's going to be trial and error."

The guidelines also offer specifics on dietary recommendations -- taking down saturated fats and trans fats for those with lipid problems, lowering salt and going on the DASH diet if they have hypertension -- and calling for 150 minutes per week of moderate-intensity exercise.

They also cover how to treat patients who have both obesity and diabetes, urging clinicians to wean patients off diabetes drugs that make them gain weight, such as insulin, sulfonylureas, and thiazolidinediones, and replacing them with drug classes that promote weight loss, including GLP-1 agonists and SGLT2 inhibitors.

The question remains whether insurance will cover these medications, Zonszein said.

"Many insurances do not want to pay for obesity drugs," he told MedPage Today. "And they're expensive. They can cost between $4,000 and $6,000 per year."

With more clinicians focused on the treatment of obesity as a disease -- which is what the American Medical Association called it in 2013 -- experts say that could change.

From Our Partners at AACE:

AACE Guidelines on Obesity Management

Apovian disclosed financial relationships with Amylin, Merck, Johnson and Johnson, Arena, Nutrisystem, Zafgen, Sanofi, Orexigen, EnteroMedics, Lilly, Aspire Bariatrics, GI Dynamics, Pfizer, MetaProteomics, and the Dr. Robert C. and Veronica Atkins Foundation.

great article drs are so stuck on treating the symptoms first, personally I think more people should get WLS, not less. Only a few small % of people that qualify actually get WLS, which is a shame as it can get rid of many comorbs.

Most doctors will not prescribe weight loss drugs. They are afraid of the stigma of being a weight loss doctor.

einstein-duh.jpg

However, if the patient is MO, unless the treatment is bariatric surgery, "treating" the obesity is pointless and counterproductive.

At least until something like that new drug I posted about becomes available: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/f...cating-the-effects-of-bariatric-surgery.2346/

When the group gave obese mice a daily pill of fexaramine for five weeks, the mice stopped gaining weight, lost fat and had lower blood sugar and cholesterol levels than untreated mice. In addition, the mice had a rise in body temperature–which signals metabolism ramping up–and some deposits of white fat in their bodies converted into a healthier, energy-burning beige form of the tissue. Even the collection of bacteria in the guts of mice shifted when they received the drug, although what those changes mean isn’t clear yet.

I'd sign up for that too.

By the way, but based on the theories behind why the DS works the way it does, it was MY belief that was what needed was a drug that BLOCKS the receptors in the gut that respond to food touching the inside of the gut, and influence downstream hormone signaling.

These guys are theorizing that fexaramine works pretty much the opposite - by making the gut think it had a meal when it didn't, i.e., STIMULATING receptors in the gut (not blocking them). In other words, the whole drive to eat is a balance of hormone signals that stimulate changes in metabolism - I think the effects noted with their drug (the mice stopped gaining weight, lost body fat and had lower cholesterol levels than a control group of animals, and had white fat that had turned into the healthier brown form that is readily burned for energy) is consistent with a HEALTHY (not screwed up metabolism) animal whose metabolism thinks it is getting too many calories, and thus is converting to a fat-burning mode - it is turning on the "get rid of excess calories" mechanism of brown fat dissipation of excess calories as heat, and shunting a lot of the calories to the brown fat to be burned off, RATHER than storing it. The fat levels in the white (storage) fat, in the meantime, go down because the mouse is actually NOT getting excess calories, so it is mobilizing more fat into the bloodstream, to the liver where it is converted to glucose (gluconeogenesis) to keep the animal's cells sufficiently fed. And overall, the metabolism acts like it is in tip-top shape (perhaps the cholesterol levels go down because the metabolism is tricked into thinking it has plenty of cholesterol, and it stops making it).

I bet TWO pills, that do BOTH, would work even better ... and I know meds that do what the DS does are being researched too.

That is exciting news. I would still rather have surgery than take pills everyday. I am not talking about the supplements. I don't have to hope my doctor will continue to prescribe my supplements. I would not want to try to talk him into prescribing a weight loss pill when I was 20 pounds from goal or worse at goal.

Latest posts

Back