New from NC

SouthernGent

Hello Everyone! I am new to the forum and yesterday marked one month until my DS surgery. I am excited for the new life but very anxious as to what to expect when I wake up from Surgery. All comments are read and appreciated greatly. Looking forward to catching up on a lot of reading with this forum. So thankful for a place where I can learn and get help and support. Blessings to All!

The very first thing you need to do is make sure you are actually getting a DS, and NOT a SIPS/SADI/LoopDS, which is NOT a proper traditional DS. Many surgeons are offering this "new" version, and failing to fully disclose that it is still an experimental procedure, and either flat-out lying and calling it a DS, or saying "it's just like a DS, only better." There is more than one surgeon in NC doing this.

Definitely having the DS surgery as insurance only approves the CPT code for traditional surgery. Insurance will not allow the new procedures and my surgeon doesn't perform them. Thank you for the warning though.

Hi and welcome!
We have seen some surgeons (I'm not saying YOUR surgeon, I know nothing about him) use the DS code, call the operation a DS in their operative note, and do the SADI. The patients involved thought they were getting a true DS and are angry and very upset, and who can blame them. So even though your surgeon is using the DS code, which you are right is the only code insurers will accept, verify with him that he plans a DS with 2 anastomoses, not just one.
It is very sad that it has come to this, that patients have to be so incredibly well informed and can't just trust the medical professionals when they place their lives in those professionals' hands, but this is the reality we have today.

I don't know that I've heard of Bauman as a DS surgeon - you need to question him carefully about how much experience he has, who he trained with, etc. It is your right and responsibility as a consumer to investigate HIS qualifications.

We may sound a bit negative, but we have good reasons to not trust both the surgeons or their practices - SO much false information from the majority of the practices.

Hello and welcome! I am glad that you found your way here. I am happy that you seem so sharp about continuing your research!

Just had my pre-operation appointment today and confirmed with the doctor that he will perform the DS with two anastomoses. He said that the other procedures just weren't something he would consider doing when the tried and true method of the two anastomoses surgery was sufficient enough with a good track record.

Hi and welcome, @SouthernGent ! :) Best wishes for your upcoming procedure. Now is a fantastic time to start taking a multivitamin, if you don't do so already, and get yourself in the best possible shape for surgery.

Latest posts

Back