Need vitamin options for first 2-4 weeks

Samantha Morrigan

Hi all. I just had my DS on Monday and I can not take the powdered vites. I gagged the whole 10 minutes and my tummy hurts. I see bariatric advantage has some chewables but I hear they tend to have high sugar content. I want to start out on the right foot. Any one have advice?

Don't worry about vitamins right now. Hydration is your main goal. Start introducing vote slowly in a few weeks. Your body has enough stored that you will be ok.

And don't waste any money on any special "bariatric" vitamins. Get some generic Centrum-style multis. When you feel up to swallowing a pill, try ONE and see how it sits.

Let me guess, your surgeon sells that powdered shit, right? Don't bother with that, either.

I wasn't able to supplement for the first 3 months post-OP due to a stricture. The pills would not enter my sleeve. Once my stricture resolved, I started supplementing. My labs were checked right before and things at 3-months didn't drop but a touch from what I had pre-OP. Point being that you are able to live on stores for a bit before getting in trouble. Let yourself heal up a little and try later on.

As for BA, I'll tell a little story. I'll use myself as an example and take from this whatever you will. I currently require 100k IU Vit A, 50k IU D3, and have to be very careful with K due to being on warfarin. To meet my A needs each day, Id need to take 20 BA High ADEKs each day. Yep, 20. In a 30-day month, Id need 600. One bottle of 180-count BA goes for $48 on Amazon. Id need approximately 4 bottles of BA per month, so Id spend $192 per month just in BA alone. No calcium, B vites, trace minerals, multivitamin, etc. Plus with that much K in my system, Id need a metric crap ton of warfarin each month to try to stay therapeutic. It's way cheaper to buy A, D, E, and K separately. AND it's easier to adjust needs if they are separated out. But this is just me :)

Latest posts

Back