Need suggestions for feeding tube protein

debbiebobebbie

Distal RNY to DS
As a revision, I'll have a feeding tube for a period of time after surgery. Looking for opinions on a good, high quality whey isolate, flavor unimportant. Thanks!

Debating with insurance company as to whether or not they will pay. If they don't, I want to be it ordered so I'm ready. That days are flying by...and I want to be ready.

The office suggested whey isolate, rather than a blend, which is what I do anyway. They didn't point me towards one brand or another. Would be nice, though, if the insurance company picked up the cost of a medical protein.

I wish I had known to get samples for trying post-op. I stocked up before surgery and had to give away most of it because they tasted horrid. I also wish I had known that Vitamin Shoppe, GNC and Costco will all take back open containers, so if you can't find samples, buy from those places so you can return them if you hate them later. I think it's hard to make recommendations, because it's a very subjective thing and I've seen opposite end of the spectrum reviews for almost everything out there.

I was glad to see this question, as I too am trying to prepare for post RNY to DS revision and one of the things I'm researching is how I might be able to replace some of the conventional pre/post surgery practices.

Has anyone ever considered, or would anyone consider; a "real-food" blendarized feeding tube liquid if the nutrient profile matched or exceeded the lab created blends? I would use ingredients (which I can compile nutrition facts for to illustrate similar nutrition facts) like homemade liquid whey, high vitamin fermented cod liver oil, desiccated beef liver (from organic pastured cows), homemade bone broth and other whole foods?

Just curious - thanks!
Nickie

I was glad to see this question, as I too am trying to prepare for post RNY to DS revision and one of the things I'm researching is how I might be able to replace some of the conventional pre/post surgery practices.

Has anyone ever considered, or would anyone consider; a "real-food" blendarized feeding tube liquid if the nutrient profile matched or exceeded the lab created blends? I would use ingredients (which I can compile nutrition facts for to illustrate similar nutrition facts) like homemade liquid whey, high vitamin fermented cod liver oil, desiccated beef liver (from organic pastured cows), homemade bone broth and other whole foods?

Just curious - thanks!
Nickie
I have two thought in this. One , I somehow doubt your going to be up to making home made whey, etc. Immediately post op. Also it would seem to me that cod liver oil would be out, as it is a fat, and would therefore be poorly absorbed.

Just curious - thanks!
Nickie
Homemade liquid whey may be way too much effort for you immediately post op.
Cod liver oil...that is a fat and you will malabsorb fat to the tune of about 80%. And early out, too much fat will give you a bad case of diarrhea at least until you get all your calcium pills on board.
The bone broth isn't a bad idea as it IS a fluid.
Liver...okay, pureed for the soft food stage would work. BUT be aware, tastes change and while you may love it now, it may make you gag post-op.
Define whole foods..cause if you are talking vegetables/fruits is that they are STILL carbs and you want to limit carbs long term. The first month isn't as critical cause most of us realize that for many, the amount of carbs being ingested is minimal anyway.

Thank you Debbie and Southernlady, that's exactly the feedback, I am looking for!

The liquid whey is just strained from my yogurt, and I always have so much I don't know what to do with it. So, I am starting to freeze it now for that time. It also keeps in the refrigerator for a good few weeks and from what I read and hope, I won't have the feeding tube in for longer than two weeks... right?

The bone broth as well, I am boiling pastured bones even now for a stockpile as I know no better liquid whole food source as rich in enzymes, protein, minerals and gelatin which is so healing in itself for digestion.

I'll have to figure out the comparison between those two items and some of the feeding tube blends to see where I'd be lacking in nutrients.

I am not intentionally trying to make as much work for myself as possible, I just remember that one of my big regrets (in the long list) after my original RNY 12 years ago was just drinking that nasty Ensure for 2 weeks without any consideration for other healthful liquids that would have better nourished me and aided in healing, like broth and live probiotic whey, kefir or kombucha.

In the end, I may be incorporating a little of a lab mix and my own stuff, but not without some input from the great minds here.

Latest posts

Back