My Insurance Company - BCBS of IL

GirlFriday

Enjoying the journey
My surgery is in FIVE DAYS. I am so excited.
I got a call from my insurance company, Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Illinois which is provided by employer. Not only did these people approve me from the word go and made no demands on me other than pre and post-op counseling with a psychiatrist (which I am happy to do), they just called to check in with me before my surgery.
I talked to a nurse on staff and she wanted to know if I had any questions about the surgery, the hospital, the anesthesia, the recovery, etc. She also verified my address so she could send me some samples of vitamins and protien that they provide for their Bariatric patients. In about a month, she will send me the free exercise pack.

I am absolutely stunned by this. I did not know that insurance companies did this sort of thing. I knew I was lucky because they approved me with no questions, but I did not know I was this lucky.

Five more days.

That's awesome! My insurance company was good...but not that good!

Counting down with you!! 5....4....3...2...1....YEAH!!!

That is fantastic...but I suspect it has more to do with your employer than BCBSIL. Remember, your employer chose the benefits it was willing to pay for...

I have BCBSIL and had to go through pre-DS qualifying diet twice and took over 18 months and significant hoops to get approved. Definitely it's about your employer.

Last edited:
That's the first time I've ever heard of an insurance co. going the extra mile. Sounds like you have a great employer

yeah, it is your employer! I am BCBS of IL and they did not approve me - but 5 days and counting is really COOL! wishing you all the luck in the world.

Yep...we live in Illinois but use my wife's insurance which is Anthem BCBS PPO of Indiana. I had to do the 6 month diet, but other than that we have an incredible insurance plan. We have a copay and then nothing else for in network, and very few places around the country are out of network. Then it is a $2,000 deductible and that is it.

I have a $2500 deductible and that is it!

I have a friend with Anthem PPO as well and she was flat out denied. The letter she got from them said that her insurance does not provide for medically assisted weight loss in any form.

I know it is my employer and I am so fortunate to work for these people.

I have BCBS of NC....All I had was a psych eval and one NUT visit. My insurance approved up to a 7 day stay after surgery...I am so blessed with my insurance, I have a $1000 deductible and a $1500 per year out of pocket max. With the health issues I have had the last few years, it has been a blessing!!!!

I am going to a consult on September 17th to Dr. Inman and have BCBS IL PPO and I know they pay for the DS if you have a BMI over 50, of which I do. I'm hoping to have a revision from lapband to DS. Does anyone know if she only does open on people with BMI's over 50? I don't carry my weight in my abdomen like many do. I'm an all over, sort-of-gal.

Yvonne

I am going to a consult on September 17th to Dr. Inman and have BCBS IL PPO and I know they pay for the DS if you have a BMI over 50, of which I do. I'm hoping to have a revision from lapband to DS. Does anyone know if she only does open on people with BMI's over 50? I don't carry my weight in my abdomen like many do. I'm an all over, sort-of-gal.

Yvonne
Read my post in the other thread. I had BMI of 56.9 and she did it with the DaVinci. Also, I am 4 months out and while I wont weigh again until September, I have lost at least 70 pounds.

Latest posts

Back