My aeroponics experiment

harrietvane

Just want to brag about my new balcony set-up. I can't really eat salad vegetables any more (the woman kept trying to give me a lot of lettuce and kale seedlings, as this is what most expats are after) but I do love me some fresh herbs. They're expensive, hard to find and inconsistently available in the shops here, but now I have them all! Also getting the opportunity to grow some passionfruit, peppers, tomatoes and (later on, when I sprout the seeds) pumpkin, cucumbers and zucchinis!

Monsoon here...the whole country is 'freezing' cold at near-record lows of 70F and rain, rain, rain. Hopefully not for much longer, so these guys can get some sunlight and get to growing.

26219659_1241581312652656_7435462429859865543_n.jpg

I love this!! I could grow things indoors in the miserable AZ summers, or maybe even take it in the RV!

They're about to release one designed for indoors, actually! They also had a cute little tabletop one they're working on. It was designed by an expat and his wife who wanted to be able to grow tomatoes on their balcony here.

I briefly had one of the (US) aero gardens. The problem is that plants need space to grow so in reality one cannot grow all the things at once that they show in their marketing photos. The European tower looks more practical because of this.

@DianaCox My son wanted to grow plants in his camper van until I pointed out that depending on the weather they would either freeze or bake if he ever turned off the van. I couldn't think of a plant that could survive temperature swings like that, not even cactus.

I meant to take the plants with us when we travel for a few weeks at a time - we never let the temps swing while we (and the cats!) are in it.

Very cool looking! Had my new fruit of the year the other day, a cherimoya. Saved all the seeds and I am thinking about planting some. Love your view. I would sit out there all the time!

Latest posts

Back