More on RVing (please chime in with your stories!)

DianaCox

Bad Cop
We have now completed three one-night trips in our new-to-us RV.

The first time, we went to a local fancy campground - just off the freeway in South San Jose. We didn't have our new fancy camp stove yet, so we cooked inside - and discovered the lack of a fan in the vent over the stove didn't work - the smoke detector went off. Charles could not figure out how to hook up the sewer system, and was sure there were pieces missing, so we went to CampingWorld afterwards and the tech came out and showed him that the aftermarket modification the previous owners had made just made it confusing, but all the parts were there. When we left CampingWorld, with an appointment to return Aug. 5th to put in a fan in the vent and to install the backup camera/GPS we bought separately, the power to the cigarette lighter plug (which we were using with an inverter to power my computer while we were driving) went out, so that needs to be fixed too. The internet connection was disappointing. Sleeping was mostly comfortable, and the shower was tolerable, though I'm not sure I can wash my hair (too low of pressure).

The second trip was into the Santa Cruz mountains in Felton, to give Charles some experience handling the RV in the mountains. I essentially had barely any internet at that campground and our phones didn't work either. Camp stove worked great. Plumbing worked too. Felt more confident. Still need to figure out how to adapt to cold damp nights and which windows/vents to leave open to feel comfortable without using the heating system or A/C.

Third trip was a blast - mostly because we had Kirmy and David with us (I can't believe we didn't take any pix at the campsite!). Went to a lovely KOA campground (Costanoa) on the coast north of Santa Cruz (which meant another trip over the windy mountain road Hwy 17), near Ano Nuevo state park - wonderful place, which we will go back to again for a longer stay (I wanna ride the horses, and go to the spa, if you get my drift!). Hiked out to the beach with K&D, and the next day, we went on a hike to see the elephant seals in Ano Nuevo. Parking near the "comfort station" was a good idea (especially with 4 people, two of whom are DSers!) - gives an alternative for both bathroom and showering. We thought we forgot the eggs (although they were in the back of the fridge after all), so we went to the lodge for a lovely breakfast in the morning.

Tuesday we get the fan and backup camera put in, and get the electricity fixed - Charles figured out it was just a fuse.

I think we're ready for a 3-5 day trip now, and I'd like to stay at least 2 days in one campground. Where to go, where to go??

But I need to figure out the internet issues - because the whole point of this RVing thing for me was that I can work from anywhere - but NOT without adequate internet access.

Okay, as one who JUST got home yesterday from a three WEEK trip in a pop up!
1) A pop up may be fine for a day or so but NOT long term (longer than 3 days)
2) KNOW how to back up a trailer.
3) STAY at KOA campgrounds if at all possible. Altho of our three non-KOA stops, two were good. One was a full facilities stop in Banff (run by the National Park Service in Canada) and had we had a heater, would have stayed the full time there. The other was the Radon Mine (privately owned) recommended by @Elizabeth N. for our stay in MT. (glad we had a tent along tho for shade as we found the awning didn't work). The last stay was a GoodSam recommended property who had just gotten 5 inches of rain the night before. NOW I realize that the rain is beyond human intervention but not the 1) not taking a reservation 3 weeks earlier when I called...was told it was "too soon". and 2) checking their site for issues with people coming in and needing to park. We were tilted sideways and sinking. So we pulled up after we had dinner and went to a Motel 6 for the night. And their attitude didn't help matters...they were far more concerned over their landscaping than safety of their guests.
4) Pack and then take out about 90% of what you think you need and leave it at home. ALSO make sure you have plenty of quarters and your own laundry stuff.
5) Learn origami!

We will be selling the pop up ASAP...however, we LOVE camping so will be looking at a class C or a baby class A to replace it at some point.

@southernlady you were in my neck of the woods. Banff is lovely, but if you're ever up here again try the smaller National parks like Waterton (north of Glacier). Or further north in Jasper.

I'm still old school I tent, even though I use an air mattress nowadays. I weigh more than I did last year and haven't had a time to go camping though - I may stress out the mattress more. I've worked all summer this year and haven't had a chance to get out there. Saving money.

@DianaCox, I just sort of accept that there's not any internet except in the internet cafes in the mountains. The one in a National Park near me gives you two hours in exchange for a buying a beverage (or other stuff, but the drink is the minimum). I do Jones for it, though. If I didn't have my Kindle I would probably go a little loopy. I preload a few books before I go.

@southernlady you were in my neck of the woods. Banff is lovely, but if you're ever up here again try the smaller National parks like Waterton (north of Glacier). Or further north in Jasper.

I'm still old school I tent, even though I use an air mattress nowadays. I weigh more than I did last year and haven't had a time to go camping though - I may stress out the mattress more. I've worked all summer this year and haven't had a chance to get out there. Saving money.

Back in my 20's and 30's, I also went "old school" but at 60, I need more creatyre comforts than a tent and sleeping bag, even with a cot AND/OR air mattress can provide. :)

That area is beautiful. Maybe some day we will get back up there.

@southernlady I totally understand. I'm on my own and I've been thinking of retiring the tent and getting one of those teardrop trailers. Or the Starcraft hard-sided pop-up....They're so cute and would meet most of my needs. I'm 44 now, and my bones aren't liking me as much as they used to.

Well, if you're ever up here again, it'd be nice to meet you. :)

Diana, you two certainly sound organized, good for you - looking forward to more posts and photos of your adventures. I'd say come up here (meet you in Northern California!) except for all the fires and smoke. :sick:

welcome home to Liz & Charles!!!

Last edited:
What type of internet connection were you attempting? Camp wifi? Your own hot spot?
I discovered that a campground hotspot/wifi is usually very poor and kept going down. Mainly cause you are sharing with so many others and they will cap people quickly.
We had our own wifi with us and when we needed a solid connection, we used it. That way only two of us were using it and only cap we had was our monthly cap.

I discovered that a campground hotspot/wifi is usually very poor and kept going down. Mainly cause you are sharing with so many others and they will cap people quickly.
We had our own wifi with us and when we needed a solid connection, we used it. That way only two of us were using it and only cap we had was our monthly cap.
Yup...that's why I asked. Back then, I had a Verizon MiFi, which allowed, I think, three devices to connect through it simultaneously.

And if you use your iPad, you are limited by Verizon's or AT&T's coverage...but study the maps. One company covers more people and the other a larger area. And I recall that we had no service at the RV campsite at Yellowstone, but at higher altitudes in the park, we had occasional connectivity.

Oh...and where my BFF lives, in the woods in Wisconsin, only the local cell service works from one area to the next. Not enough population for the big boys to put towers in there.

I had internet access the entire time in Montana. Just sayin..

Nationwide, you can get decent coverage most places, especially close to interstates. Out in the boonies...like the parts of Yellowstone inMontana, it can be iffy..

Otoh, that was five years ago.

But the coverage maps are pretty accurate.

Yup...that's why I asked. Back then, I had a Verizon MiFi, which allowed, I think, three devices to connect through it simultaneously.

And if you use your iPad, you are limited by Verizon's or AT&T's coverage...but study the maps. One company covers more people and the other a larger area. And I recall that we had no service at the RV campsite at Yellowstone, but at higher altitudes in the park, we had occasional connectivity.

Oh...and where my BFF lives, in the woods in Wisconsin, only the local cell service works from one area to the next. Not enough population for the big boys to put towers in there.
My iPad has to have wifi to connect...we didn't bother with a data plan for it. Our older one had the option but we dropped it after the first year.

And the wifi at West Yellowstone KOA was awesome

My iPad has to have wifi to connect...we didn't bother with a data plan for it. Our older one had the option but we dropped it after the first year.

And the wifi at West Yellowstone KOA was awesome
Was it, by chance, Verizon? If so, we get the "as you need it, pre-paid" service on the iPad. It ends up costing us $20/mo. at home, and we can buy more while out and about. And if we drop the service, we can re-up at any time.

Was it, by chance, Verizon? If so, we get the "as you need it, pre-paid" service on the iPad. It ends up costing us $20/mo. at home, and we can buy more while out and about. And if we drop the service, we can re-up at any time.
No, we use AT&T (tried Verizon ONCE and while their coverage was great, their customer service was piss poor.....not that AT&T is much better BUT with AT&T we can talk and surf the internet at the same time AND we are grandfathered in an unlimited data plan for our phones...something we would lose if we switched).

At home, we just use the wifi that is part of our cable/internet package.

Latest posts

Back