Might be offline for a bit..

Jo777

Aug 2017
Going to be doing some house-sitting for a friend that caretakes a bird sanctuary a couple hours from me.. An opportunity to live in a cute house, on 750 acres, with trails, woods, ponds and occasional day-visitors (not heavily visited by the public at all, it's in the boonies.) My only job: keep up with about 20 hummingbird feeders. She said the internet is really slow.. and my cel doesn't get reception out there! So, check in's may be infrequent till after Aug 8th or so.

I need to get off my butt and get hiking, but first I need to get off my butt and get packing! :)

Enjoy your stay AND your break from being online.

Once in a blue moon, I have tech-free weekends.. it's nice, but it's also hard.. it's like, what do I do now?? Oh, yeah.. all those other things. :rolleyes:

If the interwebs work, I'll prob be on here and there.. I know me. But I'll be outside a heck of a lot more there than here at home..

sounds like heaven although...I haven't been without internet so maybe I would really miss it...

have fun, Jo!

Hope you have some good books! Let me know if you need any recommendations--so jealous!

I went to the Monteverde Cloud Forest in Costa Rica to see thousands of hummingbirds and hike volcanos, so even your "chore" of filling the feeders sounds like a vacation to me. I'm excited for you!

Sounds wonderful - except I'd lose my mind with no internet ...
I know they have internet, but she said it's slow.. just wondering how slow. Chances are, it's fully functional- but I still am going to attempt to limit myself on it. Todd will spend some evenings with me, and is taking some PTO too, to spend it there.. so I *should* hopefully find other fun things to do to occupy my time ;) . Just getting out of the house I live in and into this place on the land it's on will be akin to the "Rat Park" experiment..

Hope you have some good books! Let me know if you need any recommendations--so jealous!
Please! I have time, going groc shopping and hitting the library tomorrow- throw them at me.. My friends also appear to have a nice big library, plus I'm bringing some art supplies.. maybe I can find my zen enough to sit still and do something!

Since this is a bird sanctuary, and my friend is one of the few licensed hummingbird master banders in the US, I made her a present at a night iron pour this past Saturday, I carved it, they pour it.. I figured this, a bottle of wine and some treats for when they come home would be a nice "thank you" for them offering their house to us to get away from the stress for a bit. We normally camp at the sanctuary often, just with my parental issues/work shite happening, we've not made it once this season..

2ldjyt.jpg

29vksoj.jpg

Last edited:
That sounds really wonderful and special Jo. I hope you enjoy and cherish every precious moment with the truest joy that is in nature.

Nonfiction recs:
Crashing Through and Pirate Hunters both by Robert Kurson
A Romance on 3 Legs by Katie Hafner

Fiction recs:
Levels of Life or The Sense of Ending by Julian Barnes
The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan

Have fun!!

Latest posts

Back