MGB/Dr. Rutledge

Not sure how many internationals we might have here, but I thought that perhaps some of you could share what you know about the MGB with them. Dr. Rutledge from Vegas has been pushing that for years on YT. Seems to be trying to cash in on the failed band market. Anyway......it seems he has gone to Europe and taught some of the Drs. there how to do the procedure. I'm sure he probably hyped it up as the "new, preferred WLS from the USA". I just hate that there are now obese/MO people across the pond now being taken advantage of and falling for the MGB pitch. :-(

I remember reading about it years ago when I had my surgery. If I remember correctly, it is a variation of an old procedure that was abandoned in favor of the RNY. Mainly because of the risk of bile reflux due to the configuration.

That was the surgery that the ASMBS refused to recognize because of the failure rate and danger to the patient.

it has never been accepted as a standard of care bariatric surgery in thr usa, not just not by the ASMBS but not by anyone. I have never heard of any insurer in the usa covering it, either, and for once I agree with the insurers. The main advantage is to the surgeon, not the patient. It's quicker and easier to do. But it places the patient at risk for bile reflux from the small intestine into the pouch and from there into the esophagus. And bile reflux won't respond to antacids because bile is a base, not an acid.
I'm not a big fan of RNY gastric bypass, but it's far superior to MGB. It's very unfortunate that MGB has that sweet, appealing sounding name. It's really still major surgery, just not quite as major as RNY gastric bypass, and with higher long term risk. I'm very sad to learn that it's only American proponent that I know of is spreading this poor operation overseas.

it has never been accepted as a standard of care bariatric surgery in thr usa, not just not by the ASMBS but not by anyone. I have never heard of any insurer in the usa covering it, either, and for once I agree with the insurers. The main advantage is to the surgeon, not the patient. It's quicker and easier to do. But it places the patient at risk for bile reflux from the small intestine into the pouch and from there into the esophagus. And bile reflux won't respond to antacids because bile is a base, not an acid.
I'm not a big fan of RNY gastric bypass, but it's far superior to MGB. It's very unfortunate that MGB has that sweet, appealing sounding name. It's really still major surgery, just not quite as major as RNY gastric bypass, and with higher long term risk. I'm very sad to learn that it's only American proponent that I know of is spreading this poor operation overseas.

Yeah I was livid when I learned about it as well. I hate that the Europeans think they are getting some "new and improved" WLS from the US. :-(

Latest posts

Back