Long Distance Bicycling and DS Nutrition

Bywater

I've decided that I've been on the sidelines for far too long.

In the 1990s and early 2000s, I worked as support for the MS 150. I always wanted to do it, but never trusted my body (or my weight) enough to make it happen. For those that don't know, the MS 150 is a two day charity bike ride (not race) from Houston to Austin (about 200 miles).

I'm now down 90 pounds and still dropping nicely as I balance nutrients to try to repair the damage I did to myself pre-surgery (and due to complications immediately post surgery).

My concern is how to fuel my body during a long ride. Normies do things like eat bananas, eat sports gel, etc. Bananas in that quantity would have me sprinting for the nearest bathroom. Sports gels aren't much better.

Has anyone done something like this post-DS? And, if you have, how did you mange to keep yourself going?

The MS 150 is in April of 2016, so I've got time to figure it out.

Maybe RTD protein drinks? Make your own protein bars?

I applaud you for doing this. I don't but I do realize it is a great thing to do.

I am very glad I read this. I am considering a revision from VSG to a DS. My biggest fear is that I will be weak. I am so scared of that. After I had lost weight on the VSG, I began cycling and swimming. I participated in three sprint triathlons. I loved it. I want to be able to do that. I want to try the MS ride myself. My neighbor two doors down from me had a VSG and was resleeved. She is so weak. A walk around the block leaves her breathless. I'm terrified of that. I'm only 40 years old! At my current weight I move like I'm 90, but I don't want to be this skinny, weak person either. When I think about the DS and the post surgery lifestyle. I can handle the vitamins, I am okay with the diet restrictions, I have no issue with the higher risk surgery. I am terrified of being weak.

@tradav1 , i am only 8 weeks out from my DS, but i think, unless you have unanticipated major complications, your health and strength will rest entirely in your hands. Protein consumption will be critical for muscle building and maintenance, and it may take a few months to get your energy to where you want it to be, but i have seen some incredible pictures on this site of really strong and tough men and women. it has been an inspiration.
i don't know about long term endurance sports such as triatholons or marathons--that might be harder or at least need some close attention.

right now i have more energy than i did pre-op being down 25 pounds and getting out and about much more.

good luck!

I would guess you will be doing some 50 mile practice rides? Use those to find out what works for you. I would do some RTD MEAL REPLACEMENTS because you need the salts, and probably jerky. And a couple bananas for the last 10 miles or so. I think protein bars would be good too.

I have a friend who did this and she says her 'girly bits' never recovered and she would never do this again. I did some research on this and after I read about all the terrible 'gonad problems' I decided distance riding was not for me.

I had to deal with work yesterday - imagine that - they want me to actually do work for my paycheck.

It was a nice surprise to come find some info here.

@tradav1 - I had issues after surgery - won't go into it, but I'm now 7 months out and looking for ways to build my strength back up. I've been doing a pilates stabilizer ball at work - up to 3 hours in my 8 hour day and I can tell a difference already. The me of 7 months ago was content to let the world go by (even though I was strong). The new and DS'd me wants to use my body and get back that strength and more. My concern is just how to fuel it.

@Munchkin - those 50 mile rides will come in the spring after I've built my core up, and gotten comfortable with longer rides. I'll be riding every single weekend from January through a week before the MS 150, including at least one weekend of 8+ hours riding Saturday and Sunday (probably 3 weeks pre ride).

Latest posts

Back