Lab results - 9 months out

harrietvane

Here's my nine-month lab results. I've gone from a surgery weight of 118.5 kg (261 lbs) to 75 kg (166 lbs) in 10 months, and Dr Gagner said he expects I'll lose another 13 kg (30 lbs).

Headlines and actions from the two doctors' conversations:

- Being retested for selenium after two 'not detectable' results in Singapore
- Increasing (doubling) my A and D supplementation, including a shot of D before I left.
- Continuing to increase the amount of protein that I eat. My appetite has been a bit hit and miss lately, but it's definitely better than it was at 6 months.

Interested to know if there's anything else you'd suggest based on your collective wisdom :)

Attachments

• Lab Results.pdf
    27.6 KB · Views: 6
I ignore that 30 on the range of the vitamin D, and aim for the top of the range. At nearly 9 years out, I'm still struggling to get mine anywhere near 100, and wish I'd been much more aggressive with my D since the beginning. My doctor didn't even know there could be a D shot, so I'm wrangling with her to try that.

I also had so many "meh" food days for the longest time like the first year, or even longer. I just resorted to using protein drinks, and embraced them, in particular because I'm not a natural carnivore, and just don't even want to look at meat some days. The protein powders I ran across when I was in AU were pretty gross and over priced, but my shopping was usually limited to touristy areas or places that I could hoof it, so I just drank what I could find. Hopefully you can track down a better variety. If I can find it, I actually like the Nectar orange/peach flavor, and usually have Premier premixed ones on hand, just because they are available, and easy to mix with coffee.

Not sure if you've had any post op hair loss yet (I was in the throes of it at 9 mo) but keeping the protein up helps with the regrowth.

I have my mum send me protein powders, but it's a good idea for me to track some down while I'm here in the US. I have a half-empty suitcase to take back. What's the preferred brand for maximum protein/carb ratio and decent taste? I don't like soup, so the Unjury chicken is not something I'm keen on.

I was going to do a wardrobe restock, but given that Dr Gagner expects me to keep losing pretty solidly, I don't want to spend a bunch on clothes. I did get two nice silk tops today (size SMALL!), and am on the fence about a wrap dress that I love the cut of but not the print (DVF) - I couldn't believe a 10 fit me so well. Hoping to pick up a few bits and pieces before I go from the thrift/consignment stores, and some new bras on sale!

I like the proteins mentioned above for decent ratios (especially the Nectar one), and I know others have said they like Isopure for a clear juice type drink (I don't like Isopure, but the protein / carb counts are hard to beat) if very cold. One that I really like the taste of that is milky, sort of like Protein, is Champion chocolate, but I think they changed the formulation and the carb/ protein counts aren't as good now. Hopefully others will chime in, as I don't experiment much with different drinks anymore, as I've settled on a few that work for me.

It's hard to not go berserk with new clothes, especially when it's been so unfun shopping when fat, and now all the cute stuff fits, but do know you won't get to wear things for long before they don't fit anymore. That said, a wrap type dress can be a good idea, since that design gives a little more leeway for size, and you can wear them for several size changes.

Yeah, I've found tops more forgiving than bottoms for size change. Will probably pick up a wrap dress as you can always tighten, like you said.

I'll check out those protein powders, thanks! I might also grab some ready-to-drink ones for while I'm here. Don't seem to make them elsewhere...

The Isopure clears: only a few that I could tolerate. If you find a Vitamin Shoppe near you, they have them available individually do you can try one or two before you leave.

Reran selenium and zinc in the US.

Selenium is well within range. Zinc is a little low. Anything to be mindful of when upping the zinc? Any specific types of zinc to buy?

Reran selenium and zinc in the US.

Selenium is well within range. Zinc is a little low. Anything to be mindful of when upping the zinc? Any specific types of zinc to buy?
Take zinc away from copper, and taking it with A is supposed be a good idea.

There is a brand of zinc that is supposed to be really good and I have asked in Dr K's private FB group so I will let you know when I hear back

Chelated are supposed to be the best absorbed but it made no difference for me on my lab results so I just buy the cheap gluconated version as the results are the same.

EDIT: It was this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Source-Natur...&qid=1483680017&sr=8-1&keywords=optizinc&th=1

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So, Dr Gagner prescribed 100mg of zinc sulfate each day. Anyone take zinc sulfate? Suggested brands? The one @DSRIGGS suggested isn't available to ship to Singapore (and not sure it's sulfate...or if that even matters!).

Latest posts

Back