Just got back from local surgeon's office - added pictures

I noticed that the under armor type shirt I am wearing today really shows the bulge from my hernia so I took a couple pictures in the mirror with the shirt on, and then with it pulled up.

12072804_10206500478333819_987546599478928018_n.jpg
9215_10206500478653827_5366027632418964846_n.jpg

My stomach is relatively flat, in fact when I lay down on my back I still have a huge divot under the bottom of my chest/ribs. That being said I have some loose skin that you see at bottom and a little bit of a panniculus. The picture is taken in the mirror so that big bulge you see is the hernia and it is to my right side of my umbilicus extending out and down probably 3 inches each way. It actually even goes back to the left side at the bottom. Anyway, thought this picture showed a little bit of what it is I am messing with.

and yes, those are University of Illinois Fighting Illini sleeping/lounge pants that I have on if you noticed the orang I. :D

The CT showed nothing. The surgeon agreed the hernia needs repaired but he has never done a component separation and abdominoplasty so referred me to one of his partners who does the component separation. I can't see that Dr until April 11 so I scheduled a visit with Dr Marshall on the 5th. I want this done asap and Marshall's group also has a couple plastic surgeons so I want to see what they say. Heyward didn't think the paniniecullamy was needed because my pannus isn't huge..... I want to hear from Marshall in that regard because it was my understanding was that part of the surgery made things stronger and less likely for hernia recurrence.

I have to wait longer which doesn't make me happy , but I want this done right so I will have to suck it up. I want this to be my last gut surgery and if not the last I want it to be be the last one for a long time.

BTW I am surprised I didn't get any comments on my sexy pictures. You ladies can't telll me that all that sexiness didn't make your heart flutter a little, or maybe you just thought that feeling was gas! :p

Is a sympathetic "oww" a sexy thing to say?

I suspect that a components separation procedure does not necessarily include a lipectomy like an abdominoplasty to correct a disastasis + umbilical hernia without mesh. You don't look like you have a LOT of extra skin, though (ahem) I can't see what may or may not be hanging under your Ilini pjs.

Is a sympathetic "oww" a sexy thing to say?

I suspect that a components separation procedure does not necessarily include a lipectomy like an abdominoplasty to correct a disastasis + umbilical hernia without mesh. You don't look like you have a LOT of extra skin, though (ahem) I can't see what may or may not be hanging under your Ilini pjs.
Hahaha. I don't have a ton of loose skin, but there is definitely some and I have fupa that I would like to get rid of. Just pulling the skin up would help a lot in that regard, and things are hanging more prominently now under the Illini PJ pants than they were before the DS. Additionally the pull up would also help with the saggy old dude scrotum that happened after I lost all the weight.

And honestly I don't fully understand what the pannicuelectomy does as far as as strengthening the abdominal wall/muscles...it was simply what Democratic k suggested for recurrent hernia.
It does worry me a but that the surgeon to day said he doesn't know that this would help with the gut symptoms I have been having...... Which is the main reason I want that s done. He said the small incision he would have made wouldn't have allowed him to do a thorough look around inside to make sure there isn't an adhesion or a blockage not showing in the CT (previous hernia/blockage didn't show up in CT either). I don't understand why he wouldn't be able to see inside?

Anyway... Thinksxas always for your input and humor.

Oh I'm sorry. I feel your pain. When I had an intermittent blockage, it was a series between drs, then a ct, then mri, THEN xray, like that was going to show something that the others missed, then the one where you drink and they watch it flow through.... All the while you are in pain. It went on for years. Actual fucking years.

I'm going through the same BS again with a pinched nerve in my back now, so I'll race you. I'm sick of pain, but not in real danger, so as long as each day is like this, I really hope to see you get into that OR before me. I'll swing chickens for you.

I really am sorry. You're hernia is so obvious, I hope you get this resolved, and end the pain soon.

Oh I'm sorry. I feel your pain. When I had an intermittent blockage, it was a series between drs, then a ct, then mri, THEN xray, like that was going to show something that the others missed, then the one where you drink and they watch it flow through.... All the while you are in pain. It went on for years. Actual fucking years.

I'm going through the same BS again with a pinched nerve in my back now, so I'll race you. I'm sick of pain, but not in real danger, so as long as each day is like this, I really hope to see you get into that OR before me. I'll swing chickens for you.

I really am sorry. You're hernia is so obvious, I hope you get this resolved, and end the pain soon.
Thanks sweetheart. They will get it eventually for me. I just want it done right and I need it quickly as I need to be able to start a new job, well hopefully a flight interview first. Then I need to have the energy to be ready once I land the job I want.

I hope you find your pinched nerve soon. I had a c spine discectomy and fusion in 2011 for radiculathapy that was causing big-time pain in should blade and loss of feeling in thumb and index finger. Hope you get in soon and the pain goes away for you.

"And honestly I don't fully understand what the pannicuelectomy does as far as as strengthening the abdominal wall/muscles...it was simply what Democratic k suggested for recurrent hernia."

Did you mean Dr. K? And are you SURE he didn't say (or mean) abdominoplasty? (And yes, my husband got a PUFA lift with his umbilical and inguinal hernia repairs, which pleased him greatly, but he too suffers from giant hanging scrotal bits, and it didn't help that appreciably - I think that is a separate procedure that can be done at the same time, and Charles demurred [which is a cutesy way of saying reacted extremely and vulgarly in the negatory] when that was suggested - self-pay, of course - at the time of doing all the other work.)

The only way a panniculectomy helps (AFAIK) is if it is a BIG pannus, that is pulling on the abdominal wall. The reason the abdominoplasty helps is that it is an internal corset, pulling the two sets of abdominal muscles closer together across the linea alba (I think I said that correctly), and supporting the weaker points of the abdomen.

Abdominplasty-Graphic1.jpg

"And honestly I don't fully understand what the pannicuelectomy does as far as as strengthening the abdominal wall/muscles...it was simply what Democratic k suggested for recurrent hernia."

Did you mean Dr. K? And are you SURE he didn't say (or mean) abdominoplasty? (And yes, my husband got a PUFA lift with his umbilical and inguinal hernia repairs, which pleased him greatly, but he too suffers from giant hanging scrotal bits, and it didn't help that appreciably - I think that is a separate procedure that can be done at the same time, and Charles demurred [which is a cutesy way of saying reacted extremely and vulgarly in the negatory] when that was suggested - self-pay, of course - at the time of doing all the other work.)

The only way a panniculectomy helps (AFAIK) is if it is a BIG pannus, that is pulling on the abdominal wall. The reason the abdominoplasty helps is that it is an internal corset, pulling the two sets of abdominal muscles closer together across the linea alba (I think I said that correctly), and supporting the weaker points of the abdomen.

Abdominplasty-Graphic1.jpg
Lol.... Yes, I meant Dr K. My freaking keyboard on my phone has a damn mind of its own.

And yes I have the email from Dr K and he said pannicuelectomy, but in reading up I too found what you stated about abdominoplasty pulling the abdominus muscles closer together. I am sure that is what Dr K meant.

My main concern here is tightening up the muscles and giving myself the best chance of no more hernias(i know nothing is 100%) and the loose skin going away would be a nice to have......so we will see what I hear at my next surgeon consultation.

The CT showed nothing. The surgeon agreed the hernia needs repaired but he has never done a component separation and abdominoplasty so referred me to one of his partners who does the component separation. I can't see that Dr until April 11 so I scheduled a visit with Dr Marshall on the 5th. I want this done asap and Marshall's group also has a couple plastic surgeons so I want to see what they say. Heyward didn't think the paniniecullamy was needed because my pannus isn't huge..... I want to hear from Marshall in that regard because it was my understanding was that part of the surgery made things stronger and less likely for hernia recurrence.

I have to wait longer which doesn't make me happy , but I want this done right so I will have to suck it up. I want this to be my last gut surgery and if not the last I want it to be be the last one for a long time.

BTW I am surprised I didn't get any comments on my sexy pictures. You ladies can't telll me that all that sexiness didn't make your heart flutter a little, or maybe you just thought that feeling was gas! :p
Scott, I also need component separation hernia repair (I have had 7 abdominal surgeries, this will be number 8-run for the hills), I have had 5 drs look at it, bariatric, plastic, gi, ob, pcp, like yours, mine is obvious, the CAT demonstrated no hernia, the bariatric surgeon was laughing actually. I still haven't found anyone to take me, as they say I am too high risk, and they are not familiar with my anatomy-DS. Ideally I would like a general surgeon who is familiar with the DS configuration (in case there are adhesions and they would have to resect me) and a plastic to close. So I feel your pain....

Scott, I also need component separation hernia repair (I have had 7 abdominal surgeries, this will be number 8-run for the hills), I have had 5 drs look at it, bariatric, plastic, gi, ob, pcp, like yours, mine is obvious, the CAT demonstrated no hernia, the bariatric surgeon was laughing actually. I still haven't found anyone to take me, as they say I am too high risk, and they are not familiar with my anatomy-DS. Ideally I would like a general surgeon who is familiar with the DS configuration (in case there are adhesions and they would have to resect me) and a plastic to close. So I feel your pain....
Have you talked to Dr K? He is actually probably going to be doing mine as he can do everything I need. The components separation, the look inside to make sure nothing else is going on (I suspect I have this umbilical/ventral hernia as well as my mesenteric defect may have come back or an adhesion), and then then abdominoplasty. Right now we are just trying to get insurance approval.

I already had an abdominoplasty years ago, it is just because my abdomen has been "violated" so many times..."it's like sewing wet tissue paper" ahhh makes you feel great, when they say that.....not looking forward to this surgery......or having to travel again for surgery.

I already had an abdominoplasty years ago, it is just because my abdomen has been "violated" so many times..."it's like sewing wet tissue paper" ahhh makes you feel great, when they say that.....not looking forward to this surgery......or having to travel again for surgery.
I am not looking forward to the recovery but I feel so crappy and I have no energy so I need this to get back to some normalcy....... So I want it done yesterday

@DSRIGGS I am so glad I'm only 5 hours from Dr. K so I don't have to jump hoops and play games with the idiots here in Az!

About 3 or 4 months ago I went saw a plastics dr. To try to get skin removed which my insurance clearly states they pay for with large amount of weight loss. This idiot lied to me said he attempted to get approval but there is no code for the surgeries. I called my insurance NOTHING was ever submitted. Let me remind everyone in 2000 my x and I got complete abdominalplasty surgery on the insurances dime. I got approved for legs and arms but chickened out. My x also got a breast lift on the insurance.

I will not dink around with these a holes. Sorry you have to deal with it or pay a great amount to get it done by someone competent.:ahhhhhhh:

Edit spelling

@DSRIGGS I am so glad I'm only 5 hours from Dr. K so I don't have to jump hoops and play games with the idiots here in Az!

About 3 or 4 months ago I went saw a plastics dr. To try to get skin removed which my insurance clearly states they pay for with large amount of weight loss. This idiot lied to me said he attempted to get approval but there is no code for the surgeries. I called my insurance NOTHING was ever submitted. Let me remind everyone in 2000 my x and I got complete abdominalplasty surgery on the insurances dime. I got approved for legs and arms but chickened out. My x also got a breast lift on the insurance.

I will not dink around with these a holes. Sorry you have to deal with it or pay a great amount to get it done by someone competent.:ahhhhhhh:

Edit spelling
I honestly don't know if our insurance covers plastics or not. I have never asked nor looked because honestly I didn't think I would ever need it.

I could get it all done in Peoria but I just don't want to go back to Marshall because he pisses me off with his arrogance and it is just too much work to fight with his office. They are just too hard to work with.

Dr K and I are going around on how to get things approved because he didn't like that the CT radiology report said no hernia was visualized, but my Dr said he clearly saw a hernia and would do surgery but that he doesn't do components separation so i would have to see his partner (who wanted to completely remove all but 10% of Cameron's stomach to fix his gastroparesis)......so i am trying to convince him to submit for approval and if he sees something he doesn't like when I get out there he can change course. I am just tired of wasting time and want this over. I know Dr K will fix things if we can just get approval so we can schedule and plan travel/time off for my wife.

Latest posts

Back