Just getting started~

Felis1978

Hi everyone- I just started looking into getting the vertical sleeve gastrectomy a month ago and it turns out in 1.5 months I will have all necessary requirements done for insurance FEPBLUE anyone else have the same insurance and be able to move forward with surgery that quickly?! I can't believe it is all going to happen that fast!!
My stats
5"10 SW 285

Honestly I had not researched DS much- I had three girls in my work place get the sleeve and their results have been amazing. I didn't like how quickly you lost the weight with the RNY- so I figured the sleeve was a good fit for me ;)

Hi and welcome!
How far post-op are the 3 people with the amazing results? It makes a big difference. Many people lose well initially with VSG but struggle later to maintain their weight loss and end up regaining. We see some of them here revising to the DS, and others would if they could but can't get insurance coverage for a revision. And unfortunately, a lot of VSG patients end up revising to gastric bypass, either because that's what their surgeon does and they don't even know about the DS, or because they were given a narrow sleeve, now have bad problems with GERD, and need the RNY to relieve the GERD.

Keep doing your research before you make a final decision. Know all you can about ALL your options, then decide. And frankly, I don't know why you would be against rapid weight loss. It's safe as long as you get in your protein and take the necessary vitamins and minerals for the operation you had, and besides, it doesn't go on forever.

Honestly I had not researched DS much- I had three girls in my work place get the sleeve and their results have been amazing. I didn't like how quickly you lost the weight with the RNY- so I figured the sleeve was a good fit for me ;)
How long have these ladies had the VSG? Weight loss with the VSG is quick, just like the DS but then you are left without the malabsorption of the swtich. That is why the VSG doesn't have the long term success rate of the DS. In fact, Dr K is now making his VSG patients sign a form saying basically, "I tried to tell you that with the VSG you will not have the long term weight loss or comorbidity resolution of the DS, but you choose to do so anyway...so you are basically turning the 1 step DS into a 2 stage DS because I know it is quite likely you will be back in 1-3 years unhappy with your weight loss".

I am not trying to scare you, but please make sure you fully research the DS before making a decision to move forward and if you do go with the VSG please tell your surgeon you DO NOT WANT A TINY SLEEVE. Too small of a sleeve causes GERD and Stricture in many patients and you don't want that.

In the end you have to make the decision that you believe is best for you, but please make that decision fully understanding all the Bariatric Surgery Options (you absolutely don't want a band or RnY GBP) and their long term success statistics.

Hi and welcome!
How far post-op are the 3 people with the amazing results? It makes a big difference. Many people lose well initially with VSG but struggle later to maintain their weight loss and end up regaining. We see some of them here revising to the DS, and others would if they could but can't get insurance coverage for a revision. And unfortunately, a lot of VSG patients end up revising to gastric bypass, either because that's what their surgeon does and they don't even know about the DS, or because they were given a narrow sleeve, now have bad problems with GERD, and need the RNY to relieve the GERD.

Keep doing your research before you make a final decision. Know all you can about ALL your options, then decide. And frankly, I don't know why you would be against rapid weight loss. It's safe as long as you get in your protein and take the necessary vitamins and minerals for the operation you had, and besides, it doesn't go on forever.
You are always one step ahead of me! :D

Latest posts

Back