Iron Woes

KathrynK

(In my best Jack Nicholson impression) It’s BAAACK! Iron deficiency anemia strikes again, requiring infusion. I had an infusion in February, so the interval between infusions is much shorter this time. I had a major nosebleed last month, and dental surgery twice between infusions, so that didn’t help.

My hematologist said last time that I can forget iron supplements, because it is clear I don’t absorb it. It’s in my multivitamin, but that’s it.

Now she wants me to do one infusion quarterly, after the current three visit set of infusions. Does anyone else do this?

Last edited:
I thinks that's a decent idea.

I go by blood test results. I get the series of whichever iron I'm using. It seems to last 6-9 months. Will your insurance pay for "prophylactic" infusions in the absence of proof of need?

One would think if the doctor considers it medically necessary, the insurance would comply. It make take some doing but....

As far as the ACA, it has the similar deadline as Medicare. (Dec 7th). And most of the ads for Medicare are from insurance companies pushing supplement and advantage policies. I see more from Humana than any other company.

Latest posts

Back