Introduce yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! I'm Lauren, otherwise known as the Brooklyn girl that now lives in SC :) I had my DS surgery in August with Dr. Basil Yurcisin. I knew nothing about the DS until he called me on a Sunday night and told me he had been thinking about me and that it would be my best option. I am thanking god everyday for him because my life has changed so much in the past few months! I'm just shy of 5 months and I'm down 137 pounds from starting weight before the pre op diet and the NSVs are endless :)

Hello everyone! I am Christina and am clpeltz just about everywhere. I had RNY in May of 2008 and then had a revision to DS in April of 2011 with Dr. Henry Buchwald in MN. I was dumb and went with the flow with my first wls. I didn't research...just picked a seminar, went to it and had surgery. I do my best to advise people to research all their options before choosing their surgeon. Think twice, cut once. Revisions are no fun. Anywho...at my highest (pre RNY) I reached about 320. Was 280 when I had the RNY. Got to 192 for about a minute and started to regain no matter what. Was 250 day of my revision to DS. I am currently in the mid 160's and holding steady. I had a pannilectomy/abdominoplasty on Dec 2, 2013. They removed 6 lbs of skin and I am thrilled with the results!

Hello Friends! I'm Whit on most boards and groups so I'm Whit here too. I had RNY surgery in 2002 lost 100 pounds and was in good health for 5 years. Then life got in the way...bad habits, loss of much loved parents, mentally ill step child and yes I will admit it increased alcohol consumption put back 80 pounds. With marginal ulcers, severe dumping and painful Ostiarthritis I was miserable. I had revision surgery last year 12/10/12. Recovery was long and I still struggle a bit with food but here I am happy and almost 100%. I am open to any questions about my experience. Just ask. :D

Hmm, do I need introducing? :p

Elizabeth Niederer online, usually known as EN. Native of Montana, dropped in New Jersey by the Army far too long ago and counting the days-months-years till Mr. EN and I can relocate to God's Country.

Nearly died of being the PCOS/metabolic syndrome/super morbid obesity poster child (thus named by a loved former doc who accompanied me along much of the way). Long story how I found the DS, but I did, and I am now alive, well and free of every comorbidity listed on my preop physical except sleep apnea, which troubled my late normal-weight parents. Apparently it's not a weight thing for me. Oh well.

Restored health led to new life in many ways, one of which was going back to school. I'm two semesters away from completing a double major in undergrad and hope to continue straight into grad school. I also went to work in a completely new area, and now keep rather busy, all my online wordiness nothwithstanding. I'm always amused when I hear of cyberpeople who think I do nothing but sit at my computer and be a bitter old hag all day *snort*.

I'm here because a)I consider it my sacred obligation to pay forward the great gifts I have been given with a restored life and health and b) because staying active in WLS circles helps keep me accountable to take care of my health.

Hello everyone! I am Christina and am clpeltz just about everywhere. I had RNY in May of 2008 and then had a revision to DS in April of 2011 with Dr. Henry Buchwald in MN. I was dumb and went with the flow with my first wls. I didn't research...just picked a seminar, went to it and had surgery. I do my best to advise people to research all their options before choosing their surgeon. Think twice, cut once. Revisions are no fun. Anywho...at my highest (pre RNY) I reached about 320. Was 280 when I had the RNY. Got to 192 for about a minute and started to regain no matter what. Was 250 day of my revision to DS. I am currently in the mid 160's and holding steady. I had a pannilectomy/abdominoplasty on Dec 2, 2013. They removed 6 lbs of skin and I am thrilled with the results!
Congrats on your plastics Christina

Well...hmm..
The name I've always went by is Leaha (pronounce just like Leah - Lee-ah), because my middle name is Illeaha (eye-lee-ah). I blame my mother. Anyway, I am scheduled to have the DS on 01/22/14. I'm excited and, of course, scared. I have a BMI of 62, so I have to do something drastic. Counting down the days!

Hi all, I think most of you know me. Original DS in 2003 by non vetted doc, followed by a lot of regain; revision #1 in 5-18-09 by vetted DS doc, but not vetted revision surgeon, Revision #2 on 6-21-13 by the wonderful Dr Rabkin and now down 57 more pounds. Now a total loss of 140 pounds and into size medium or large depending on brand. I would like to lose a little bit more. Just had 6 month revision labs drawn, waiting on results. Dexascan stinks and I have an appt with osteo clinic in St Louis at end of March ( yes that's first open appt, but I am on cancellation list). Overall, except for my fibro and osteo, I am doing great. We are having a harsh winter here and that makes my fibro all over the board. I am married with 2 grown wonderful kids, 3 grandkids and I work as a Travel Consultant and I am POA for my elderly Dad. I do not have as much time for the boards as I would like but skim when I can find a few extra minutes here and there. I hope I can have input to other revisions on how important it is to have an EXPERIENCED revision doc. Feel free to message me with further questions.

Happy DSr here, on ProBoards and n OH. I am Ann Abcom on Facebook. I live in Ontario, Canada but my DS was in January 2008 in Michigan, back in the days when the publicly funded health care system covered out of country surgeries, as the DS is only very rarely done in Ontario.

My surgery has been immensely successful - best thing I ever did for myself, at age 50. I lost 200 pounds in a year, then bounced back around 10. I have been stable for the last five years, bouncing up and down within a 10 pound margin, regardless of what I eat. While not a particular expert, I a happy to share my experiences with others, as I was so grateful that others shared with me as I started the process.

Hi there! I am Charles and I belong to Southernlady. Had my DS with Dr. Alfons Pomp December 16, 2010. I was a lightweight so my common channel is a little longer than standard (125 cm). Lost about 120 lbs. Glad to see you all here.

Hello! Mary_J from OH, which seems like decades ago, but wasn't. Mary Anderson on Facebook. VBG in 1985, repair/revision 1986, revision to partial DS in 2007. Starting weight about 325, current weight about 150, although I'm attempting to shed a bit of bounceback . . . typically about 135. I work as a paraprofessional with Spec Ed kids. Currently, I accompany them on buses. I also work as an office manager for a small welding/mfg company, and as a safety director for a small trucking company.

Hello everyone

Some of you may know me from other WLS groups. My initial surgery was in May 1995, a distal GB-RNY. In December 1995, this was revised, along with a complete abdominal wall rebuild and removal of my gall bladder. After going home, I nearly bled to death after rupturing a blood vessel near my stomach. This led to a prolonged recovery time and a long series of complications that continue to surface periodically.

Overall, however, I am doing very well. I was relatively young (32) with pre-diabetes my only co-morbidity at the time of surgery (of course, they called it glucose dysregulation and did not treat it at the time). My highest weight was 275 lbs (BMI 46.4) and my weight since the initial weight loss has remained in a healthy BMI range. At present, I am ~150 lbs down from my highest weight, in the mid-120s (BMI ~20 - 22).

In the process of learning to care for myself after surgery, I returned to graduate school where I ultimately earned a couple of advanced degrees in nutrition and related fields. After developing a nutritional deficiencies despite taking everything recommended (and then some), I ultimately figured out what doses work for me, most of which exceed current WLS recommendations. Although my day job in health care does not have me interacting much with WLS patients, they are seldom far from my thoughts and I hope to have more opportunity in the future. This sometimes comes through in my posts, which can be detailed - I only hope some people find this helpful.

I eat almost exclusively whole foods, and have not tolerated protein supplements in any form for nearly a decade. I've still been able to maintain my protein levels with foods. My biggest bug-a-boo over the years has been a shrinking ability to digest different foods, mostly those containing fiber and complex carbohydrates. While avoiding them makes it easier to maintain my weight, there are so many nutrient-dense foods that I miss out on enjoying, many of which are not likely to contribute to weight gain. I'm still searching for a "work-around" for this so I can eat more fiber-rich fruits and vegetables. Why my increasing inability to digest various foods remains unexplained, yet it seems likely related to the abdominal bleed of 18 years ago and the scar tissue it left behind.

I'm curious about whether anyone else has experienced increasing difficulty tolerating foods. Here are a few additional details about my surgery and current situation. My common channel is 100 cm, with an additional 150 cm separating it from what remains of my stomach. My pancreas has (apparently) stopped producing most or all of the enzymes needed to digest starches. I produce some stomach acid and presumably also produce the enzymes to digest proteins and fats. Despite my strict diet limitations, both my internist and naturopathic physician agree that I am healthy, based upon lab and clinical findings.

-Elena

Glad I wandered over.. I'm jo777/INgirl on a handful of sites. Was self pay for VSG in April 2011 with Dr. Aceves in MX. I read up extensively on the DS, and VSG- and still do as I find the whole field fascinating. I'm very opinionated about things, but have a fairly decent filter and attempt to think before typing, most days.. As a self-pay, what I have achieved, learned, fell into and dragged myself out of has all been on me. I wouldn't have had it any other way.. this is one area where I needed to invest my whole self into.. from start till now. I carry this mindset over when dealing with others on WLS sites, if you cannot be fully invested to put some work into it, no one else will. Personal responsibility. I will do my best to direct to some knowledge, encourage open-mindedness and learning, but I cannot save them all, and am self-aware enough that my sense of selfishness with time and energy (annoyance/worry/etc.) allows me to pull the plug fairly effortlessly. I've been at or under goal since a year out, eat very well.. love DSer recipes, and really, really love the interaction I get with many familiar faces here, many I think I'd enjoy knowing in real life- and that's what keeps on drawing me in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back