in to have the pouch reduced again

Hello Drhuskins and welcome to the forum. Not sure exactly what you are asking but have you considered all your options, such as revising to a DS rather than an Rny?

if you need to have surgery again, might as well get the best one.

in general, we can answer questions better the more we know about you.

I hate that I am increasing in weight after fighting so hard. I lost so much weight with my gastric bypass surgery...i went from a size 26 to go down to a size 4...now within the last yr I'm at a size 10...trying to lose weight the old fashion wat with diets and exercise but it's just not happening...so I heard that I might be able to re-do mt surgery

It's not clear just what you have in mind to help with the weight regain, which is a frequent problem with gastric bypass. A few years ago, there was a lot of interest in endoscopic procedures to tighten the pouch. They worked temporarily, if at all, and were never covered by insurance. I haven't heard much about them lately, though admittedly I haven't been looking for info about them.
I think the real question is, why are you struggling now. Have you had any diagnostic studies to determine whether or not the pouch and/or the stoma have stretched out?
My advice would be the same as what JackieOnLine said - revising to the DS would give you a brand new sleeve stomach, which is a much more natural state than a pouch, which doesn't have a stoma to enlarge, and which would also give you significant malabsorption. The very limited malabsorption of RNY gastric bypass doesn't last long. So, I would recommend consulting with a bariatric surgeon who does gastric bypass to DS revisions to see if that would be a viable option for you. There is a list of them on this website somewhere. It's a lot to go through, but could make a big difference for you. OTOH, and I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, at this point you are understandably frustrated but size 10 isn't huge and I don't know if any bariatric surgeon would be willing to intervene. But a consultation doesn't commit either you or the surgeon to anything and it's a great way to learn more about your options.

OTOH, there are now some drugs available that are actually effective for weight loss. They have their drawbacks - as does surgery - such as getting someone to prescribe them for you, expense if not covered by insurance, potential side effects, and apparently the need to continue them indefinitely. There is no perfect, risk free solution for the scourge of obesity.

Latest posts

Back