IMR Appeals Victory!

Discussion in 'Duodenal Switch' started by Diana S., Jan 12, 2018.

Diana S.

Diana S. Well-Known Member

So I've posted it pretty much everywhere and emailed it to everyone, because at long last I WON MY IMR APPEAL!!!

To Recap: I'm 35yo BMI of 47, had a sleeve gastrectomy about 12 years ago. Have been having issues vomiting solid food for about a year plus now due to sleeve complications, and I also have sleep apnea and GERD. I was accepted into Kaiser N.Cal's bariatric program but because of the GERD they said it was the RNY or nothing.

So I appealed... something like December 2016 or January of 2017. Got their denial and started the Dept. of Managed Health Care IMR process. I was denied the first time because I didn't have a DS-specific personal nutritional evaluation... something that was sort-of left field in the area of requirements. We had a re-do that came back as pretty much the same decision, but they made sure to state specifically that once I obtained a report saying I understood the specific nature, problems, required supplements and the likelihood that I will comply with all after-care and supplementation, that the DS would be seen as medically necessary.

So Kaiser offered me a nutritional eval which came back as a "yes she understands the surgery" but was biased and pretty crummy otherwise. I had an independent agency evaluate me again, and this time got glowing marks. Sent in a THIRD IMR with these reports and finally got my answer:

YOUR REQUEST IS DETERMINED TO BE MEDICALLY NECESSARY!

I can't even breathe!

And now we wait for a minute before I start hassling Kaiser for authorization and get a surgery date with Dr. Rabkin :D

ENORMOUS thank yous to @Larra@Larra and @DianaCox@DianaCox for all your help, support, and talking me off the ledge this past year. I quite literally could not have done this without you!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    RainCity

RainCity Active Member

Congratulations!!

Susan in Tennessee

Susan in Tennessee Well-Known Member

I'm tickled pink for you, what a hard and bumpy Road you had! My sincere thanks to @Larra@Larra and @DianaCox@DianaCox, too, for all the great work you do for this community!

DianaCox

DianaCox Bad Cop

I must say, her appeals were some of the most stupid and mean-spirited ones Larra and I have seen. We were not going to let Kaiser get away with it. But it was touch and go the whole time! Not fun for Diana S. - and it took an entire frickin' year, and THREE appeals, including getting the DMHC to send it to their lawyers who forced them to do two internal re-reviews, so more like FIVE appeals. Emotionally exhausting.

JackieOnLine and Diana S. like this.
    galaxygrrl

galaxygrrl Well-Known Member

So happy for you! Shout out to @DianaCox@DianaCox and I assume @Larra@Larra

You should come to group next month. :)

southernlady

southernlady Administrator Staff Member

That is great news.

Munchkin

Munchkin Full of Fairy Dust

Great news!!!

hilary1617

hilary1617 First time at the rodeo.

Congratulations! :)

BigIsland Tammy

BigIsland Tammy Active Member

Congratulations! So many of us know those joyous feelings, and owe the victories to the same incredible duo!