I'm Switched!!!!

Oh, oh, oh! Mr. Kotter. When I was in my early 2os--so 45+ years ago, I was hospitalized. No one mentioned that urine output needed to be measured and there was no collection stuff in the restroom. So, I peed and flushed.

Nurse came in and told me I needed to void my bladder. I said I just did. She said that if I didn't pee right then, she was going to catheterize me. I said, "You'd better bring back-up. And call home and tell them you are about to be arrested for assault."

She left the room and I immediately called my doctor's exchange, got him on the phone, complained and I never saw her again. (It also might have helped that two cop friends, in uniform, came to visit.) (One never knows about these things.)

But I would have filed a crime report on her ass.

Oh believe me, I'm no Wonder Woman. Yesterday was difficult all day because I had a nurse who liked to withhold my pain medicine until I was all but begging. The night before (on day of my surgery) the night nurse was awesome. She gave me dilaudid in between my doses of hydrocodone. But the day nurse the following day made me respond to 20 questions about my pain level each time before she would give up the fucking hydrocodone. At one point, she told me that "Plenty of patients get your surgery and have no pain medicine afterward " She then snipped " And they don't ask for it either. And you,re no longer allowed to have dilauded between doses as the surgeon only permits that during the first 24 hours." And then, "People get addicted to that hydrocodone, so we have to watch how much you're taking."

I then reminded her that my surgeon has prescribed "that hydrocodone" for me to take every four hours. I shouldn't have to get an inquisition every time I need the pain medicine he trusts and, in fact, had me fill to have at home post-op. You're supposed to make sure I get it every four hours, not question whether or not I need it.

She still made me wait forever before getting it for me and I had to ask for it each time. The problem with that aside from just the pain (which doesn't go away with the pain meds, but is merely reduced) is that because the area below my ribs is so tender and swollen, I'm having a hard time breathing deeply. It scares the shit out of me to be taking shallow breaths after major surgery because I could wind up with blood clots in my lungs or pneumonia. I explained that to her and assured her I don't want to get addicted to narcotics-- that I don't even take Tylenol. She nodded like she understood me, but that did not inspire her to get me my meds any quicker when I asked for them.

The result is that I'm still breathing shallowly. I had the same great night nurse so I explained what happened all day and she said that I should ignore that other nurse. Still, even she questioned how much pain med my surgeon prescribed. I'm afraid they're gonna try to make Boyce think that I'm trying to get too much medicine for pain, so I touched it out all night. I got my last pain med around 10:45 PM and didn't ask for another until 6:00 this morning. When I asked, the night nurse said "You're way overdue" and I said "I tried toughing it out, but I've reached the absolute limit." And she said "Oh, don't do that--we don't want you doing that."

I maybe got a little snippy with my response because I told her point blank--you could have asked if I was in pain all night, but you didn't. After yesterday, y'all have me feeling like I'm wrong for asking.

I woke up at 3:00 AM and walked the halls a bunch of times and walked them again at 6 AM when I finally asked. First thing out of day nurse's mouth today was "I see she just gave you pain medicine at 6:15. What's your pain level now. When I said 4 she said "It's probably gas."

Yes, of course. My pain wouldn't have anything to do with my guts being resectioned--must be gas.
Damm that i would have asked for the charge nurse and insisted on a new nurse. Once the pain is too bad the pain meds take forever to work. You have to stay on top of that. it may have been hard to deep breath but once I got through cursing her out mý lungs would have been good and clear. She was wrong for that crap! so sorry you went through that unnecessary bs when you already felt bad

Oh, oh, oh! Mr. Kotter. When I was in my early 2os--so 45+ years ago, I was hospitalized. No one mentioned that urine output needed to be measured and there was no collection stuff in the restroom. So, I peed and flushed.

Nurse came in and told me I needed to void my bladder. I said I just did. She said that if I didn't pee right then, she was going to catheterize me. I said, "You'd better bring back-up. And call home and tell them you are about to be arrested for assault."

She left the room and I immediately called my doctor's exchange, got him on the phone, complained and I never saw her again. (It also might have helped that two cop friends, in uniform, came to visit.) (One never knows about these things.)

But I would have filed a crime report on her ass.

Wow, that is some abusive shit right there. The day nurse I had wasn't so much abusive as she was arrogant and unsympathetic. I'm sure she must have reasons for becoming the way she is, but that is not an excuse for her to withhold anyone's pain medicine. I will try to figure out who it is I should write to at the hospital to alert her superiors about her withholding pain meds. It wasn't right of her to do that.

Yes, someone in admin needs to know about her. You got through this ok, but other patients may not.

You're so right. I wish I had had more presence of mind two days ago and demanded to see the charge nurse. I sure hope she is not doing this to people who are far worse off than I was. I also think that because she saw me walking, she assumed it didn't hurt like hell for me to do so. Of course, she would be wrong in that assumption.

So, that crazy nurse who wouldn't give me pain medicines called me today to inquire as to how I am doing on my liquid diet. I lied (not on liquids) and said fine blah, blah, blah. But here is the interesting thing: I mentioned that I am having some lower abdominal pain on the left side of my stomach today and this was her response: "Well, one of your incisions broke through the muscle wall so it may be pain from that." And I quickly asked "I have 9 incisions--I'm pretty sure moving my intestines around required that more than one of those broke through the muscle wall, no?" and she again said "It's the one that removes your stomach that breaks through."

Am I missing something here? I'm pretty sure she has no idea what procedure I had or, if she does, she has no idea what that procedure even fucking is.

She also has no idea what might, or might not, be causing your pain, and has no business trying to diagnose you over the phone. The right answer would have been to let your surgeon know.

She also has no idea what might, or might not, be causing your pain, and has no business trying to diagnose you over the phone. The right answer would have been to let your surgeon know.

You are exactly correct (as usual). I'm pretty sure it was a gas bubble or maybe an exhausted muscle since it seems to have resolved itself today. I moved around a lot the past two days and I did notice a pulling feeling in that area while I was holding my handbag for a few minutes. I immediately handed it off to my daughter. In all honesty, I did not think it was heavy enough to cause me a problem, but live and learn. Had I been vomiting or had a fever or had increasing pain, I would have immediately called my surgeon's office and/or gone to the emergency room. It really bothers me that this nurse is working on bariatric patients while having no freaking clue that the DS is far different from a sleeve.

I am having some pulling/discomfort- it is the most severe of all the laparoscopic sites, so I suspect it will take the most time to heal. I had some pretty intense distention yesterday evening and through the night upper right quad (grrrr- no sleep:( ) and called this am. It is the most "invasive" of the incisions and is easily aggravated. I likely drank too fast and switched off Premier for now. I hope you continue to feel better today!

I am having some pulling/discomfort- it is the most severe of all the laparoscopic sites, so I suspect it will take the most time to heal. I had some pretty intense distention yesterday evening and through the night upper right quad (grrrr- no sleep:( ) and called this am. It is the most "invasive" of the incisions and is easily aggravated. I likely drank too fast and switched off Premier for now. I hope you continue to feel better today!

Oh, my. I am sorry that you're feeling so uncomfortable. I can understand the whole pulling sensation--mine was a combination of that and a feeling like the spot wasn't "supported" when I sneezed or blew my nose. It would feel as if it were pushing out and that would feel quite sore and then the pulling feeling would follow. Today, so far, I have had none of that. Yesterday afternoon, despite not feeling great, I accompanied my daughter on a brief shopping jaunt. It was more walking than I would have done at home as she browsed, but I got to sit while she tried on all her finds in the fitting room. On the ride home, I noticed a good deal of gas bubbling up--it wasn't exactly like burping but came out that way. I relaxed the rest of the day and evening and woke feeling better today. Healing is such a weird business. How is your energy level? I've been surprisingly energetic all week. I was expecting much more exhaustion. I do become worn out much easier, but it is not constant (thankfully).

So- I was off the grid, went camping for the weekend! Just getting back to reality. Don't get me wrong- we have a fully functioning trailer and I relaxed all weekend! I have noticed that if I pace myself and get in a good deal of walking though - everything flows betters er! I had three normal BMs this weekend which was so exciting lol. I do have moments (like now) where I just have to rest and nap. I had my first follow up today and I am going to gradually progress over the next four weeks in food consistency. Incisions are well approximated and healing. I had a scrambled egg in celebration and all is well so far! I am progressing with my vitamin regimine- so they take up my time and gut space lol. Have to find the balance of it all. Getting ready to sit down to some cottage cheese tonight. Started my day with a shake. Shooting for up to 60 gms- creatively. I am down 20 pounds since my preop appt. Still have the pulls and pressures of a post op- but day by day it's better.

Latest posts

Back