I'm Switched!!!!

writegirl

Work in Progress
Howdy everyone!

All switched and reporting from the hospital. I can't thank this community enough for educating me so much about what to expect you all made gave me the conviction to trust my own research (which includes all the information I read here). Just pa funny aside: the nurses here have been categorically stunned by how much I know about the surgery and recovery expectations.

All told, my DS surgery went incredibly well yestrrday, even by Dr. Boyce standards---he said my surgery only took one hour whereas most of his DS surgeries take between 1:15 to an 1:30. I woke from anesthesia in a lot of pain, but My nurses have been great about staying in front of the pain since. My day went great yesterday--I walked the required 100 ft to get the catheter removed just after they wheeled me out of recovery and after put me in a room I walked often and did so into the late night and early morning hours. I was up walking at 3 AM and again at 6 AM and ran into Boyce in the hallway. He said he couldn't believe I was up and mobile with no help.

I start proteins today and I'm a little nervous about how that will make me feel. The nurses keep saying I might go home today, but Boyce likes to keep his DS patients at least two days and he never mentioned to me he would send me home tonight. He said they're halving my IV fluids because I've been sipping consistently.I just got this mornings pain med, my Levo is here waiting for me to absorb the pain med before I take it.

My incisions are looking good. I'm relieved they used glue rather than sutures or, worse, staples. And, the nurse brought my first protein--it has a thick slimy texture--gross! I'm taking GasX strips to counteract the gas from the protein shakes. The surgical gas has been more active today. I can feel it moving, so I'll continue walking and rocking to help it pass.

Other than feeling easily exhausted, I feel great. It was reassuring that when questioned about my common channel Boyce said he would stay within the traditional 100-125 centimeters. He said given my height he would probably go with the shorter length. Interestingly, when I mentioned that I had heard that some doctors are using 300CM, he said "Yes, I've heard but these are often the experimental procedures. I find that I am not inclined to agree with that approach." First time ever that I heard a note of sassy indignation coming from Boyce.

Thanks once more to all of you fabulous vets---I couldn't have done this without all of you!

Congratulations! You are doing great. Don't worry if you can't handle the slilmy protein drink. Stick with what your your insides will tolerate. The important thing is to stay hydrated, your protein stores will get you through the first tough weeks. And good for Dr. Boyce for his honest assessment of what some docs refuse to acknowledge are experimental procedures.

Glad to hear that you are doing well. I'll be just a couple weeks behind you so I'll be looking forward to your updates.

Best news! I can only hope I am as successful as you!! Hoping for continued, positive greatness for you!

Look after yourself and don't push yourself too hard! Glad to hear all went well and that you've made it to the losers bench!

Great news! So happy for you! Now pretend to be sicker than you are so you are guaranteed to get all the nights you're allowed -- you don't want to go home early. (Sidenote: ONE hour?? I am incredulous that he did a virgin DS in one hour when everyone else takes 3+. What's his secret?)

Dr. Boyce is one of the best cutters in the profession. He got this good at performing virgin DSes because he worked under a great mentor and he completes the DS in such a timely fashion because he's motivated to provide excellent care. His practice does thousands of these procedures per year. He works with same team every day, which also means they run like a well oiled machine. That said, even Boyce was surprised that my surgery went so smoothly.

Latest posts

Back