I thought I had seen it all

No @Munchkin, they won't be so fine. While they will have little or no caloric malabsorption, the malabsorption of B12 and calcium and iron persist. Great operation, huh?

You usually get this kind of point in before I do, so don't feel too bad if I get it in first now and then.

T
No @Munchkin, they won't be so fine. While they will have little or no caloric malabsorption, the malabsorption of B12 and calcium and iron persist. Great operation, huh?
Thank you for correcting me! When I stop and actually think about it, makes sense. You only have the number of receptors you have.

Dammit I thought you were talking about the thread title. Can't I ever win, just once. :p

With gastric bypass, she's going to get into trouble with B12 deficiency, which causes peripheral neuropathy, which, if untreated long enough, can become permanent. the good news here is that problems with B12 don't happen overnight, so if she gets help soon she'll be ok. Also, B12 supplements are cheap and readily available at any drug store or grocery store. B12 injections once/month also work well, and some people prefer that approach, though if it were me I'd take the pills and avoid monthly trips to the injection clinic.
Gastric bypass is so common, and the issue with B12 so well known, that I would bet anything that she really was advised to take the B12 and has forgotten all about it. This is very, very standard with RNY.

With my distal rny I was terribly b12 deficient. I had to give myself a shot every week. My doctor said she had never seen a b12 so other than a true vegan colony somewhere in Nebraska or somewhere. I didn't know it could cause peripheral neuropathy. I assumed my neuropathy came from the couple of years I was a diabetic. I guess that will explain how it got worse and worse even after I was no longer diabetic.

eefefb9a-c345-4731-9d7d-23bf9e879680_1.9075257caf9c84d689dd8267e1f2743b.jpeg
This is what I use. I do a month at a time...so I have four of them.

I didn't know it could cause peripheral neuropathy. I assumed my neuropathy came from the couple of years I was a diabetic. I guess that will explain how it got worse and worse even after I was no longer diabetic.
Oh yeah...there are over 100 reasons for peripheral neuropathy, diabetes, alcoholism, and extreme low B12 are the main three. That's why I am so aware of what my B12 has been all these years. I still have PN from diabetes but tight control for years helped ease it.

This is not the first time I've heard about taking Flintstones vitamins. Shocking as it may seem, it started with Dr. Hess. This was his original supplement requirement. The supplement requirements evolved over the years, but at the time I had my surgery (14 years ago) there were some vets around that still followed this. I wonder sometimes what happened to them. Hess' supplement requirements remained sub-par until his retirement. I had some troubling times before I figured it out.

This is not the first time I've heard about taking Flintstones vitamins. Shocking as it may seem, it started with Dr. Hess. This was his original supplement requirement. The supplement requirements evolved over the years, but at the time I had my surgery (14 years ago) there were some vets around that still followed this. I wonder sometimes what happened to them. Hess' supplement requirements remained sub-par until his retirement. I had some troubling times before I figured it out.
One long time Dr. Dennis Smith vet (she's 14/15 years out) was told Flintstones in the first year or so but he switched her to BA multi and kept adding stuff. She finally figured out from being on FB in some of the groups that she needed a different routine. She and I worked together and she has learned to tweak her own. Is in much better health now cause she reads her own lab work.

Latest posts

Back