I thought I had seen it all

DSRIGGS

Yes, that is chocolate covered bacon
A lady just posted this on a discussion regarding how much people are spending on their vitamins monthly

What?!!! The only vitamins I take are my Flintstones that the doctor recommended and they're $8 a bottle at Walmart for the house brand for 150 of them. And you only take two a day of those. Then I take my calcium 3 times a day which is $55 for a 4 month supply of the powder that I add to my water 3 times a day and those are the only vitamins that I ever have had to take and I had my surgery in October. And my cousin had her surgery 3 years ago and she's been guiding me through this whole process and telling me the cheapest way to go about it and no time ever did anybody ever suggest a 100 to $150. If you're paying that much somebody's taking advantage of you

This lady and her cousin are doing their best to win the DODO Bird Award.

It never ceases to amaze me just how ignorant some people are to DS requirements.

With gastric bypass, she's going to get into trouble with B12 deficiency, which causes peripheral neuropathy, which, if untreated long enough, can become permanent. the good news here is that problems with B12 don't happen overnight, so if she gets help soon she'll be ok. Also, B12 supplements are cheap and readily available at any drug store or grocery store. B12 injections once/month also work well, and some people prefer that approach, though if it were me I'd take the pills and avoid monthly trips to the injection clinic.
Gastric bypass is so common, and the issue with B12 so well known, that I would bet anything that she really was advised to take the B12 and has forgotten all about it. This is very, very standard with RNY.

With gastric bypass, she's going to get into trouble with B12 deficiency, which causes peripheral neuropathy, which, if untreated long enough, can become permanent. the good news here is that problems with B12 don't happen overnight, so if she gets help soon she'll be ok. Also, B12 supplements are cheap and readily available at any drug store or grocery store. B12 injections once/month also work well, and some people prefer that approach, though if it were me I'd take the pills and avoid monthly trips to the injection clinic.
Gastric bypass is so common, and the issue with B12 so well known, that I would bet anything that she really was advised to take the B12 and has forgotten all about it. This is very, very standard with RNY.
She did reply back that her Dr just put her on B12. It is just amazing how unprepared some people are. As you said, so many people do RnY's and for years so I find it hard to believe that she wasn't instructed to take B12 from the get go.

Ok. So maybe stupid question... When I was bypass I did get my B12 in an injection. Is it possible to take any of our vitamins in injection vs pills? more cost and time effective?

I get injections of a and D but that is on top of the oral A and D that i still take

2whfnlt.jpg

I've upgraded to the mother of all pill sorters! I'm gonna pack it with Flintstones ;)

2whfnlt.jpg

I've upgraded to the mother of all pill sorters! I'm gonna pack it with Flintstones ;)
I have that one and I really like it! Fits everything for the day. Since I travel a lot, I also got their travel case which hold a weeks worth of the boxes. No Flintstones allowed! Enjoy!

I keep the rubber bands that come on asparagus or other produce to put on my individual days worth of vitamins from my sorter for travel. Works like a charm. I can pack as many days as I need and then slip one into my purse for on the go vitamin popping.

If these guys are regular proximal RNY, they will probably be fine. By the time they are 2 years or so post, they have no more malabsorbtion. The body has compensated!

But there are lots of DSers out there who were told this same thing. BY THEIR SURGEONS! Thankfully I don't hear this as much anymore but for a while it was pretty common!

Latest posts

Back